pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

June 12, 2014, noon

can't remember where or when i read it ( so maybe it's just urban legend :lol: ) but i seem to recall that if the corporations just paid the taxes they are supposed to pay instead of deferring them and using clever nefarious loopholes , the provincial budget would be balanced every year .

June 12, 2014, 12:32 p.m.

I think education is vital and I think I pay too much in taxes.
I'm not trying to fan flames, I got an honest question.
If the province gives teachers what they want, where do you want the money to come from; a tax increase or a cut to some other gov't program

(Default canadian response) I'm all for tax increases as long as they don't affect me.

June 12, 2014, 12:35 p.m.

Koolaid and tinfoil are starting to flow and roll.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 12, 2014, 12:54 p.m.

can't remember where or when i read it ( so maybe it's just urban legend :lol: ) but i seem to recall that if the corporations just paid the taxes they are supposed to pay instead of deferring them and using clever nefarious loopholes , the provincial budget would be balanced every year .

Yeah, I'm going to call urban legend on that one. Anybody who has happened to work in or near a finance department of a large company knows that the CRA is pretty diligent about auditing and generally ensuring they get paid what the government is owed.

Which isn't to say that companies around the world don't try and push the rules as far as they can, but I would be willing to bet that outright fraud isn't nearly as common as you think in major economies. Basket cases like Greece? Well, that's another story….

June 12, 2014, 12:56 p.m.

Which isn't to say that companies around the world don't try and push the rules as far as they can, but I would be willing to bet that outright fraud isn't nearly as common as you think in major economies. Basket cases like Greece? Well, that's another story….

It isn't fraud at all. See the Double Irish for a legal (at the time of writing) example.

June 12, 2014, 1:02 p.m.

yeah, will all my extra money I have just stuffed everywhere……

But you have to be saving a little for retirement, right? And hopefully not in a savings account paying you 1%.

Heck, even the Teachers have a stake in capitalism

June 12, 2014, 1:06 p.m.

It isn't fraud at all. See the Double Irish for a legal (at the time of writing) example.

I didn't say it was. But I think the point that Patrolskid was making was there are "clever nefarious loopholes" out there and I think that this is the type of thing that gets people upset, legal or not.

June 12, 2014, 1:35 p.m.

So GE having a department solely to exploit the US tax laws isn't evasion?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 12, 2014, 1:42 p.m.

So GE having a department solely to exploit the US tax laws isn't evasion?

Its called tax avoidance and its perfectly legal …. the US actually has one of the most aggressive tax law enforcement practices in the world (you can argue if the laws are fair, but that's another issue altogether). Talk to anyone who has held US citizenship, was born or has ever lived in America. Uncle Sam hounds you relentlessly even if you don't live there anymore.

June 12, 2014, 1:44 p.m.

Its tax avoidance …. the US actually has one of the most aggressive tax law enforcement practices in the world (you can argue if the laws are fair, but that's another issue altogether). Talk to anyone who was ever born or lived in America and paid taxes there. Uncle Sam hounds you relentlessly even if you don't live there anymore.

I suspect this holds true for us peons. As for the rest, Buffett says he's still paying lower tax rate than his secretary.

June 12, 2014, 2:46 p.m.

Its called tax avoidance and its perfectly legal …. the US actually has one of the most aggressive tax law enforcement practices in the world (you can argue if the laws are fair, but that's another issue altogether). Talk to anyone who has held US citizenship, was born or has ever lived in America. Uncle Sam hounds you relentlessly even if you don't live there anymore.

So sorry, hadn't had coffee yet.

June 12, 2014, 2:52 p.m.

Its called tax avoidance and its perfectly legal ….

There's tax avoidance - finding legal means to minimize tax payable,

Then there's tax evasion - using illegal means to minimize tax payable,

And finally, there's tax avoision - slinking around in the murky areas of the law between the two. I suspect these "tax avoidance" departments are very familiar with this one.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 13, 2014, 6:45 a.m.

The thing that pisses me off is the union games: we will give 3 working days notice….but now we didn't give 3 working days notice…sooo, we are going to have some all-day meetings on Monday! Yeah, that's it! Last-minute, all-day meetings! (I should schedule some of those.)

June 13, 2014, 7:24 a.m.

Try clicking on this link for more info re: 72hrs notice

June 13, 2014, 8:46 p.m.

Here are some interesting facts about education in BC:
Some education stats by a VP from stats Can
http://pairadimes.davidtruss.com/to-the-citizens-of-bc/