pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

June 6, 2014, 9:21 a.m.

No, not you. I know you can't read.

The reports on the LRB ruling stated that the pay deduction was for work not performed during regular work days. It's not because of the days they do not work when on strike.

This makes more sense.

June 6, 2014, 10:59 p.m.

When the BCTF pisses away all of the money they collect off of teacher paycheques by paying all of the salaries of the people in the local teacher association offices, and increasing those staffing levels, and throwing god knows how much money at ad campaigns during elections … You are correct, no one gets paid.

The BCTF cupboard is bare.

Those jackasses should be turfed out by the teachers who are trying to make kids lives better.

June 7, 2014, 3:15 a.m.

No, not you. I know you can't read.

The reports on the LRB ruling stated that the pay deduction was for work not performed during regular work days. It's not because of the days they do not work when on strike.

My understanding is they are not being permitted to do this work. I.e. Locked out for 10% of the normal day (work they are willing to do) and not getting paid for it.

Are they still being forced to leave school property during lunch and recess? Who the fuck is watching the kids then? If this is the case it's only a matter of time before a kid gets beaten to death because no one is there to stop it.

www.natooke.com

June 7, 2014, 7:12 a.m.

LOBO, when was your strike? What caused the end?

CP rail strike 2 summers ago, I cant remember. We were legislated back and are still in arbitration. We all expect to be locked out in the near future.

yeah bro!!

June 7, 2014, 7:53 a.m.

My understanding is they are not being permitted to do this work. I.e. Locked out for 10% of the normal day (work they are willing to do) and not getting paid for it.

Are they still being forced to leave school property during lunch and recess? Who the fuck is watching the kids then? If this is the case it's only a matter of time before a kid gets beaten to death because no one is there to stop it.

Non-union school board employees. (Administration, management from the board office, maintenance managers, etc)

Some of you seem confused how strikes / lockouts work. The teachers are doing rotating strikes to put pressure on the government. The government locks them out and docks pay to put pressure on the teachers. Whoever blinks first loses.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

June 7, 2014, 1:42 p.m.

Yeah, it's the government that's stopping them from working. Too bad the reality is that the teachers fired the first volley…

_April 23, 2014
Teachers across the province began work-to-rule strike action today — the first of three phases in a plan to show their dissatisfaction with ongoing contract negotiations.

In this phase, teachers will refuse communication with school managers, arriving no more than an hour before and leaving an hour after school, and refusing supervision of students outside class time._

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 7, 2014, 4:05 p.m.

When the BCTF pisses away all of the money they collect off of teacher paycheques by paying all of the salaries of the people in the local teacher association offices, and increasing those staffing levels, and throwing god knows how much money at ad campaigns during elections … You are correct, no one gets paid.

The BCTF cupboard is bare.

Just asked my wife about this as she worked for the VSB as Special Education Assistant. The reason there is no money in the BCTF for strikes and job action for the members is it is not apparently in the BCTF mandate. It's why teachers in BC don't want to strike and they do all that rotating stuff with the 4 days. Why the general teaching members of the BCTF don't want strikes is because they know there is no money coming in. ANd last I checked hours walking a picket line does not pay one's hydro bill.

Remember it is frequently the union management who feel no negative consequences from strikes who stir this stuff up.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 7, 2014, 5:17 p.m.

It's when they threaten to throw the leadership in jail that the leadership caves.

Don't agree with the strike pay ruling. It's the unions money so they should be able to spend it as they please.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 7, 2014, 5:21 p.m.

That is not correct. The union were ordered back to work in 2005 by the BC Supreme Court but elected to defy the order and staged an illegal strike. The BCTF was paying strike pay during that strike and Madame Justice Brenda Brown found the BCTF and it's members in contempt of her order, and ordered the BCTF to cease paying strike pay while the union was engaged in an illegal strike.

They are not, currently, engaged in an illegal strike and the Order of Madame Justice Brown only extends to her original ruling in the 2005 strike.

Then that is a new development as when Joely worked there till 2002 she says there was nothing in regards to that. No one wanted to strike.

Biggest thing I learned working for a public sector union was never believe anything the union heads told you. They claimed to have your best interests in mind but usually you got screwed if you believed them blindly.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

June 8, 2014, 6:27 p.m.

I think that in the future we will reach a point that all provinces will face this reality,

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/06/05/kelly-mcparland-quebecs-harsh-budget-shows-ontario-whats-in-store-from-liberal-plans-to-borrow-and-spend/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

June 9, 2014, 9:58 p.m.

Yeah, it's the government that's stopping them from working. Too bad the reality is that the teachers fired the first volley…

IIRC, they bargained on class size in the late 90s. In 2002 the government changed it via a bill . This was contested in court by the BCTF and they won. Government introduced another bill, and the court again ruled in favour of the BCTF. Government has asked for a stay or delay on complying with the ruling, or something like that, and that's the current state.

BC elected this government, so if anyone is to blame look at the people who voted Liberal. Rather than spend money on education, they spend it in a roof at BC Place.

Who fired the first volley?

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

June 9, 2014, 10:28 p.m.

The teachers.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 10, 2014, 11:03 a.m.

IIRC, they bargained on class size in the late 90s. In 2002 the government changed it via a bill . This was contested in court by the BCTF and they won. Government introduced another bill, and the court again ruled in favour of the BCTF. Government has asked for a stay or delay on complying with the ruling, or something like that, and that's the current state.

They went to court, the government lost and the court decided that teachers had the right to negotiate on class size. Government refused to negotiate, the court ordered the government to pay $2 million in damages to the BCTF. Government has appealed and won an injunction on class size while the appeal continues.

The BCTF has asked for staffing ratios and class sizes/student ratios to be held at the Government's own levels established in 1998. Government says its too expensive …

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-goes-to-court-to-retain-class-sizes-at-current-levels-1.2537604

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-court-of-appeal-grants-delay-of-smaller-class-sizes-1.2552226

June 10, 2014, 5:54 p.m.

Maybe we need a system more based on voting. Part of a pole, both sides are allowed to propose their plans, and people vote on it during the next election.

Option A) by gov't, average $/year change after benefits, average increase in tax to pay for / family or / voter

Option B) by union, average $/year change after benefits, average increase in tax to pay for / family or / voter

Option C) Undecided

Option D) Uninformed

If both sides only had one shot at putting together a reasonable package to entice voters or risk taking a blow till the next election, these wild claims could be forced aside.

However in reality such a system would need to be backed by easy access to inform people of the situation, and from seeing the garbage both sides were calling "information" during the HST vote, I'd say there's no chance.

June 10, 2014, 11:43 p.m.

It's the unions money so they should be able to spend it as they please.

No kiddin'…