pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

May 26, 2014, 11:50 p.m.

Letter to Christy Clark from Grade 7 teacher

www.natooke.com

May 27, 2014, 9:27 a.m.

and one more for icebreaker. have you not considered the net societal benefit of a good education system wrt criminal activity? studies have shown that kids who stay in school and graduate are less likely to be involved in crime and besides having a societal benefit this also results in a reduced economic cost.

http://phys.org/news/2011-12-lowers-crime.html

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 27, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

LOL vouchers. What could go wrong? I know the government would love them. Want to cut costs, just take it out of the voucher and let the free market sort it out. Problem solved.

May 27, 2014, 11:02 a.m.

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2014/05/24/Steering-BC-Teachers/

is the main issue class size/composition or salaries?

May 27, 2014, 2:42 p.m.

E-Street opinion:
http://www.theprovince.com/business/Street+question+support+teacher+decision+launch+rotating+strikes/9878503/story.html

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 27, 2014, 3 p.m.

Educating our youth is not an expense, it's an investment.

It seems people are willing to risk larger future losses for short-term gains on their taxes.

I still don't know where all these so-called "terrible teachers" are either. I never had one. I don't think lousy teachers make it past the on-call stage of the career. Can anyone here cite an example of themselves or their child having a lousy full-time teacher?

The full time teacher is great. The problems start when they bring in the supply teacher to cover the class.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 27, 2014, 4:13 p.m.

I have a simple solution.

How about everyone agree to pay more tax on the condition that teacher's salaries don't change much but classes get smaller, special needs kids get the help they need and the teachers also have the resources they need to do their jobs effectively?

Is this really so impossible in a 1st world country?

I could go for this.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

May 27, 2014, 4:16 p.m.

The stupid is strong in this province…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 27, 2014, 5:36 p.m.

In my perfect world class sizes for younger kids would get smaller, class sizes for older kids would get larger. Failure rate would increase to make obtaining the diploma more valuable, and waste less time dragging the bottom 5% that refuse to do anything. Starting teacher salaries would remain stagnant with better ramp up for deserving candidates. The on-call system could be updated to 2014 technology which would greatly improve the quality of life for younger people getting into the profession.

The way unions go it seems to be blanket statements of wanting more money to get better results. I just don't know that we will get better results, nor do I see that all teachers deserve more money. When I heard about how their on call system works, and how you work your way into your first full time position, I almost laughed. Seemed like it was only recently updated to no longer include pagers.

May 27, 2014, 9:30 p.m.

I have a simple solution.

How about everyone agree to pay more tax on the condition that teacher's salaries don't change much but classes get smaller, special needs kids get the help they need and the teachers also have the resources they need to do their jobs effectively?

Is this really so impossible in a 1st world country?

The people of the province would probably be strongly in favour of that. The union would never accept it. Just my opinion.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 27, 2014, 9:34 p.m.

Didn't they already agree to that before?

And then class sizes grew and resources got shittier anyways?

www.natooke.com

May 27, 2014, 9:50 p.m.

Wow great thread!!! BC Second most expensive place to live in the world!!! Where's all our money for our children Mr. Politician???? Our children must come first and therefore I support the teachers. Other provinces are cheaper to live in and get paid more than BC teachers. Why? Everyone everywhere gets raises why not Teachers? So many of them do so much extra stuff outside of there job descriptions and over and above their regular working hours. In my opinion the teachers wage should reflect their importance and how much we care about our children's future and therefore the future of at least our Province and Country. I can't even understand how anyone couldn't agree with the teachers but of course it's just my position on the matter. Hey it's just our kids future.
On another note It's funny to see all the single mom's who are on welfare and collecting child support from perfectly good working responsible fathers, crying the blues making it out to be a state of emergency because their drug and drinking time has been interrupted and they can't handle their own kids but expect teachers to along with a classroom full of other students. LMFAO

May 27, 2014, 9:53 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chMCU5VSuqw

www.natooke.com

May 27, 2014, 10:21 p.m.

Wow!!!

K, back to the rubber room with you!!

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 27, 2014, 10:35 p.m.

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!
We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and planning - that equals 6-1/2 hours).
So each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day…maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585 a day.

However, remember they only work 180 days a year. Can't pay them for any vacations.

That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year.

What about those teachers with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6-1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Copy and pasted but some interesting numbers.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."