pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

June 26, 2014, 9:21 p.m.

i "think" you are incorrect there too, but i aren't we discussing the current strike, not historical?

It turns out that the BCTF is following court orders to finish anything regarding grade 12 students during this labour dispute. So it has nothing to do with the "generosity" of the BCTF.

http://www.kelownanow.com/news/news/Local_News/14/06/12/Labour_Relations_Board_Orders_Teachers_to_Mark_Final_Exams

I would guess this has something to do with 2 years ago. Which I do know it did effect grade 12 students during the last strike. 2 of those students Queen's students from BC came within 24 hours of not being able to attend that fall because of that strike.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 27, 2014, 12:29 p.m.

It turns out that the BCTF is following court orders to finish anything regarding grade 12 students during this labour dispute. So it has nothing to do with the "generosity" of the BCTF.

http://www.kelownanow.com/news/news/Local_News/14/06/12/Labour_Relations_Board_Orders_Teachers_to_Mark_Final_Exams

I would guess this has something to do with 2 years ago. Which I do know it did effect grade 12 students during the last strike. 2 of those students Queen's students from BC came within 24 hours of not being able to attend that fall because of that strike.

i never said it had anything to do with the "generosity" of the BCTF. i was aware of this ruling, which is why i posted as such.

i also know the generosity and caring of many teachers and administrative staff, firsthand, supersedes any rulings or mandates, and i will continue to support them.

i'm all for differing opinions, but you are talking out of your ass and posting inaccurate information as if it were fact.

ride a horse! 1200 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legsā€¦
but riding bikes is still fun!

Sept. 9, 2014, 9 a.m.

Is this affecting anyone else's productivity?

Sept. 9, 2014, 11:54 a.m.

i'm all for differing opinions, but you are talking out of your ass and posting inaccurate information as if it were fact.

Actually it is fact. Two of the players my wife recruited from BC as I said came within 24 hours of not getting in because of the strike. That I know is fact as I know during that period there was many phone calls and a late night for my wife trying to work with the parents.

But thank you very much for saying my wife speaks out of her ass and is full of shit.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 9, 2014, 11:59 a.m.

News flash: enduramil responds to three-month old post, still outraged.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 9, 2014, 12:07 p.m.

I've been pretty neutral in this dispute to date but this week the BCTF made attempts to disrupt the operation of our daycare since there are members (not teachers) working there.

I don't mind the teacher picking a fight with the government for improved working conditions but picking a fight with parents shows the militancy of the BCTF.

I sent the first letter of support to the government via several key MLAs indicating my approval of their negotiating position with the BCTF.

The teachers can thank their union if they start to hear the backlash from the public. I support the troops but not the war.

Sept. 9, 2014, 12:28 p.m.

I've been pretty neutral in this dispute to date but this week the BCTF made attempts to disrupt the operation of our daycare since there are members (not teachers) working there.

Care to elaborate?

I sent the first letter of support to the government via several key MLAs indicating my approval of their negotiating position with the BCTF.

Which negotiating position is that? Refusal to negotiate?

Sept. 9, 2014, 12:45 p.m.

I'm curious what happens to the picket lines when summer holidays start.

They disappeared even before the holidays started.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 9, 2014, 12:54 p.m.

News flash: enduramil responds to three-month old post, still outraged.

:lol:

Sept. 9, 2014, 1:24 p.m.

They disappeared even before the holidays started.

Picketing was locally organized during the summer months. Three local schools near where I live had rotating pickets all summer despite summer school being in session (as the Labour Board ruled it an essential service). Regardless, would you expect people to picket during their vacation?

Sept. 9, 2014, 1:26 p.m.

Not when the union can't afford it.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 9, 2014, 2:18 p.m.

I've seen picketers at all the schools I go by still and all summer (4 of them - 3 high schools, one elementary school) on my commute to work.

Sept. 9, 2014, 3:40 p.m.

I don't mind the teacher picking a fight with the government for improved working conditions but picking a fight with parents shows the militancy of the BCTF.

The teachers can thank their union if they start to hear the backlash from the public. I support the troops but not the war.

If the BCTF is somehow disrupting your daycare then you have every right to be upset, but if you then sent the government a letter of support you probably were never all that neutral in the first place.

I don't support the war either, but I see it as a war against education waged by the Liberals. This is a party that made no sacrifice during the boom times and is now scrambling to pay the bills. As always the easy cost savings comes at the kids expense. So when I hear them say the teachers are the ones using the kids it is a tough line to swallow.

Sept. 9, 2014, 3:52 p.m.

no worries, the government just announced a surprise 250 million surplus in their budget :woot:

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 9, 2014, 4:05 p.m.

no worries, the government just announced a surprise 250 million surplus in their budget :woot:

One time surplus won't help when negotiating recurring costs. And gov't has already said it won't be used.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-teachers-strike-266m-budget-surplus-not-for-bctf-deal-says-de-jong-1.2760912