pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

June 5, 2014, 12:07 a.m.

Ruling makes sense. You don't work - you don't get paid.

Teachers are currently being deducted 10% pay for everyday of work they do as of last week. You feel that is fair?

They don't get paid for strike days, in fact no one gets paid for strike days, unless a union has built up a strike fund for that reason.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 5, 2014, 12:57 a.m.

Employer argued that they are performing less work than what they are being paid for, and LRB agreed.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 5, 2014, 5:27 a.m.

Employer argued that they are performing less work than what they are being paid for, and LRB agreed.

What a crock of shit.

What about all the work teachers do for free after hours?

….for example,there were FOUR teachers cars still at my kids' school last night,along with the principals.Lets assume they all didnt decide to walk home.

The teacher actually called us from there last night.. Turns out they were building class rosters for next year and wanted our input into what classes our kids are in.

Thats right,even during job action,those lazy bastards are there working for free.

Im ready to upend this government on this issue alone.

Pastor of Muppets

June 5, 2014, 6:30 a.m.

They don't get paid for strike days, in fact no one gets paid for strike days, unless a union has built up a strike fund for that reason.

Hell I'm teamsters rail and we were on strike for 9 days without any pay.

yeah bro!!

June 5, 2014, 9:29 a.m.

I'm almost positive sub rates are fixed…

…I just checked it out, it is until you've done four consecutive days, then it changes to scale for the forth and every consecutive day after.

Hmm. I was misinformed. That makes sense, but I still know that a lot of retired teachers sub if they feel like it. They should be the bottom of the list IMO.

June 5, 2014, 9:52 a.m.

Wow. Pay cuts ruled legal. Didn't see that one coming.

Shitty that the gubermint can lock employees out of the workplace for certain times, then deduct 10% pay off them for being locked out. Even shittier is that the courts agree with this

Not only that, but those "certain times" are mostly outside of normal working hours, so how exactly is their work input reduced so as to justify a pay clawback?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 5, 2014, 8:38 p.m.

Teachers are currently being deducted 10% pay for everyday of work they do as of last week. You feel that is fair?

Yes: don't show up for work, don't get paid - that is how the world works!

June 5, 2014, 8:41 p.m.

No. They should be getting deducted 20%, if they are not going to work 1 in every 5 days. I don't even know why we are talking about this: don't show up for work, don't get paid - that is how the world works!

They don't get paid for strike days.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

June 5, 2014, 8:42 p.m.

No. They should be getting deducted 20%, if they are not going to work 1 in every 5 days. I don't even know why we are talking about this: don't show up for work, don't get paid - that is how the world works! (Argument based on teachers striking, not on being locked out).

You're pretty naive to think they get paid for striking.

June 5, 2014, 9:32 p.m.

I would argue, in fact, that we the people should get a seat at the negotiating table and work out a deal to cut pay, benefits and raises for the cretins running this province.

To add, I rather a teacher get "overpaid" an extra $10,000 a year than another government crony give himself a 25% raise on top of his/her inflated 6 figure salary.

Couldn't agree more. Everytime I here that Fassbender twat on CBC I nearly throw up.

Sure they can't give the educators of future generations a crappy raise yet they can give the oil and gas industries 327 million in subsidies per year.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

June 5, 2014, 9:59 p.m.

Yes: don't show up for work, don't get paid - that is how the world works!

Reading comprehension fail!

I'll try to spell it out for both you, and switch again.

The teachers are doing rotating strikes. On days where a teacher is on strike, that teacher doesn't get paid for it (that is how the world works!) As you put it

BC gubermint decided that for the other 4 days of work a week that all BCTF teachers are instructing, the employer would deduct 10% wages off the 4 days of work. I have a fairly good idea as to why this is being done, but thats another post or thread altogether

Lets remember that when a teacher takes on coaching a sports team, organizing a club, field trip, etc the teacher is effectively donating their free-time as the teacher is not being paid extra to do these activities that fall outside of their regular working hours.

But yeah, derp,teachers have Xmas break off, spring break and 2 months off in the summer, derp!

LOBO, when was your strike? What caused the end?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 5, 2014, 10:20 p.m.

Reading comprehension fail!

I'll try to spell it out for both you, and switch again.

The teachers are doing rotating strikes. On days where a teacher is on strike, that teacher doesn't get paid for it (that is how the world works!) As you put it

BC gubermint decided that for the other 4 days of work a week that all BCTF teachers are instructing, the employer would deduct 10% wages off the 4 days of work. I have a fairly good idea as to why this is being done, but thats another post or thread altogether

Lets remember that when a teacher takes on coaching a sports team, organizing a club, field trip, etc the teacher is effectively donating their free-time as the teacher is not being paid extra to do these activities that fall outside of their regular working hours.

But yeah, derp,teachers have Xmas break off, spring break and 2 months off in the summer, derp!

LOBO, when was your strike? What caused the end?

to futher clarify that, the 10% off is being deducted for time when the teachers have been locked out by the government - so the teachers have no say in the matter. the government is locking them out purely to be punitive.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 5, 2014, 10:22 p.m.

Did you even read the labour board's ruling?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 5, 2014, 10:25 p.m.

Did you even read the labour board's ruling?

who me? no. just caught snippets of the headlines.
i just offered what i've been told about the lockout and 10% biz.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 6, 2014, 12:09 a.m.

No, not you. I know you can't read.

The reports on the LRB ruling stated that the pay deduction was for work not performed during regular work days. It's not because of the days they do not work when on strike.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells