pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

June 2, 2014, 11:10 a.m.

Now I wish I got a signing bonus

June 2, 2014, 1:41 p.m.

one thing i'd like to hear from the naysayers is what do you think is a smart compensation package to pay teachers? so considering their benefits, what do you think they should be paid either hourly or yearly? and are you basing that solely on classroom teaching time?

as much as some of you are saying you don't support the teachers, you're not saying what you think they should get.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 2, 2014, 1:42 p.m.

Now I wish I got a signing bonus

I'm a teacher and do not want the cheesy signing bonus, and have told my rep so - I would like a fairly negotiated contract - with the class size and composition language back in place, with some flexibility allowed - those requirements were strict and won't always work for every school in every case.

I'm interested to see what the LRB will rule about the government imposed partial lockout and 10% pay cut - no other union gets a "partial lockout". To me, the lockout at recess and lunch is a safety concern, esp at elementary schools. Just having teacher presence in the school and hallways is important, to help solve problems, direct someone to the office for a scraped knee, pump a soccer ball, tie a shoe, meet with colleagues, generally help keep order. Currently, we're out on the street with signs indicating we are locked out at recess and lunch. The things teachers do before/after and in between instructional time are hard to measure or put a value on, but are absolutely essential for the smooth and safe functioning of a school.

June 2, 2014, 1:49 p.m.

frankly id like to see a compensation package that was longer term that was tied to cost of living so we don't have these disputes every 4 years. Maybe im out of touch but I would say if I had to hand out some extra tax payer dollars for salaries my money would go to nurses and other front line heath care employees.
perhaps the fact to me that it is so difficult to get a teaching position in an urban center leads me to believe that it is a job in demand at the current pay scale.

also on the pro D day thing. this seems out of step with most professional development practices. shut things down (scattered throughout the year)so everyone can do some career development. Mabey its just me though

June 2, 2014, 2:17 p.m.

perhaps the fact to me that it is so difficult to get a teaching position in an urban center leads me to believe that it is a job in demand at the current pay scale.

This really depends on what you teach, but I think the demand for the job has more to say about how easy the teaching programs are and the lack of jobs for anyone with an arts degree. After getting an undergrad a lot of people getting into teaching because their other post-grad options are too difficult. There is no shortage of English and History teachers, but finding good Special Ed teachers is different.

It should also be noted that this overstock should come down once the oldies retire.

June 2, 2014, 2:40 p.m.

From young teachers I talk to both permanent and subbing jobs are easier to come by than down south

I think 70k is about what a teacher with a masters makes in most areas

June 2, 2014, 2:54 p.m.

This really depends on what you teach, but I think the demand for the job has more to say about how easy the teaching programs are and the lack of jobs for anyone with an arts degree. After getting an undergrad a lot of people getting into teaching because their other post-grad options are too difficult. There is no shortage of English and History teachers, but finding good Special Ed teachers is different.

It should also be noted that this overstock should come down once the oldies retire.

do special ed teachers get paid the same as english teachers?

June 2, 2014, 3:03 p.m.

I heard that back when I was in high school (30 years ago). Its never happened as far as I know. Don't know the reason … probably because enrollments have been going down as well and the attrition versus retirement rate wasn't anything near the baby-boomer "bulge" everyone predicted.

June 2, 2014, 3:06 p.m.

do special ed teachers get paid the same as english teachers?

They do.

June 2, 2014, 3:12 p.m.

I heard back when I was in high school (30 years ago). Its never happened as far as I know. Don't know the reason … probably because enrollments have been going down as well and the attrition versus retirement rate wasn't anything near the baby-boomer "bulge" everyone predicted.

I have heard this for a while too but I would think now would be the time for this to happen since boomers are approaching retirement age.

June 2, 2014, 3:28 p.m.

I heard that one of the issues is that as they are retiring the baby boomers are taking many of the temp jobs (subbing) and it's kind of hurting younger adults opportunities to get in there and get experience before getting their full time jobs.

These retirees also get to charge out at their higher pay grade as well. Not sure if it would be right to limit that or helpful, but it's definitely something I've seen in other jobs as well.

June 2, 2014, 3:46 p.m.

I heard that one of the issues is that as they are retiring the baby boomers are taking many of the temp jobs (subbing) and it's kind of hurting younger adults opportunities to get in there and get experience before getting their full time jobs.

These retirees also get to charge out at their higher pay grade as well. Not sure if it would be right to limit that or helpful, but it's definitely something I've seen in other jobs as well.

Ya this is a problem IMO. It is not helping the profession to have retired, more expensive teachers taking on call jobs from the new teachers.

June 2, 2014, 4:30 p.m.

It's something that gets tossed around every 10-20 years, however it is very true at the moment. It actually should have started happening 3 or 4 years ago, but when the economy tanked people's retirements shrank and they got scared. Even my Dad (administrator/principle) held on for a couple more years even though he was doing okay. The average age that my sister and some friends are teaching with is a little scary, but it also gives them hope, because they know there's going to be a lot of continuing contracts opening up soon.

June 2, 2014, 5:31 p.m.

And if the older teachers do not permanently retire, their tenure will put them at the top of the temporary/sub list.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 2, 2014, 7:19 p.m.

From young teachers I talk to both permanent and subbing jobs are easier to come by than down south

Any of the kids I know of going to Uni for teaching pretty much stick up their nose to suggestions of looking further north to get work.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/