pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

May 31, 2014, 8:34 a.m.

Who elects a 'community activist' with no foreign policy experience and dubious economic understanding as president ?

I know, eh? That Bush guy was such a disaster!

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 31, 2014, 8:37 a.m.

See, you are demonstraiting the exact problem with the current strike…. swearing, name calling and emotion. Rather than listen to an opposing opinion, it's time to attack. Strong, well thought out opening rebuke you had, calling me an idiot took some real depth of argument.

Nowhere did my last post compare to private business, but, you can't ignore that there is a case for introducing some new thoughts into education. After all, if the current system is as bad as teachers make it out to be, then it must be time for a rethink of the system. And no, throwing money at the problem isn't always the solution.

Everyone has listened to, and understands your arguments. They are demonstrably wrong, but you keep parroting the same points ad infinitum, without acknowledging anyone else's points. If grahammtbr hadn't called it first, I might have done the same.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 31, 2014, 8:43 a.m.

Canada will have a chinese leader just u wait give it a few years

May 31, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

See, you are demonstraiting the exact problem with the current strike…. swearing, name calling and emotion. Rather than listen to an opposing opinion, it's time to attack. Strong, well thought out opening rebuke you had, calling me an idiot took some real depth of argument.

Nowhere did my last post compare to private business, but, you can't ignore that there is a case for introducing some new thoughts into education. After all, if the current system is as bad as teachers make it out to be, then it must be time for a rethink of the system. And no, throwing money at the problem isn't always the solution.

I'll admit I shouldn't post in anger when I've only had a few hours of sleep and took my post too far, but the thing is, your ideas go against what most teachers are saying. KenN is right, and a lot of your ideas have even been tried in the past, and still even take place in US to some degree. They have failed, badly in some cases.

Your agreements also go against what most teachers are saying, and have been saying for quite some time. I remember now what set me off, you blatantly dismissed the opinion article written by a teacher, even though it's pretty much word for word what every teacher has said to me in conversation. What makes you so right, and the people who work in the profession (some with 30+ years experience) so wrong?

May 31, 2014, 12:08 p.m.

Ahhhh…. the good old "USA is bad" argument, well done. Nothing we can learn from those evil Americans.

We seem to be doing a lot opposite of the US
- they elected a black president, leader of all three major parties in Canada is a white man. Not a coloured or female leader in sight. One time we had a female PM, she lasted months before we elected another white man
- google, microsoft, apple, chrome, facebook, twitter. vs. hmmm…. blackberry and nortel
- harvard, stanford, MIT vs. well, UBC is good, but it's nowhere in that league
- last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup?
- invented the mountain bike

But you know, let's keep on doing the opposite…

lol - your arguments are so comical.
you should try a career as a comedian.
you're either purposely trolling or completely clueless.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 31, 2014, 6:25 p.m.

Maybe Canada could sit idly by while one of our ambassadors is killed as well, then blame it on our own people.

What about 241 United States Marines who died in an attack in Beirut in 1983 during Reagan's watch? Nobody held accountable. Nobody blamed. How did he address this? 48 hours later the US invaded Grenada (an island in Caribbean). "Look! Shiny!".

May 31, 2014, 6:32 p.m.

If you are going to use Obama as an example of reasons to vote in a black, you're not putting fourth a very strong case. How about a woman like Hillary? Maybe Canada could sit idly by while one of our ambassadors is killed as well, then blame it on our own people. Kim Campbell was a failure and I am glad Canada learned it's lesson.

Harvard has lower grad placement rates and starting salaries than a college of 2500 people in butt-fuck nowhere MT.
Lots of Canadian players on those teams. If that miserable failure of a commissioner wasn't trying to fill the desert with teams it would improve our chances.

Invented insulin, the telephone, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wow, so much wrong with all your points.

But just to pick one - what did Kim Campbell do that was so bad?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 1, 2014, 1:41 a.m.

I believe that the BC provincial government is at fault here (Christy Clark). I have many reasons for this but the most prominent being the fact that teachers don't even make enough to cover the cost of living…

June 1, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha………

What a wonderful first post. Thanks for the comedy show.

Teachers make considerably more than the average income in the province of BC. Good try.

avg bc individual income is about $45K
median income for a full time worker is about $50K.
median income for families is about $70K and $30K for individuals.

if you're going to talk about income you need to talk about more than just the averages as that includes part time workers, etc. so yes, some teachers make more than the average.
however some teachers only make the average, some teachers make the median and some teachers make less than the average.

so in essence, your post is about as helpful as the one you quoted.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 1, 2014, 11:12 a.m.

So now my kid's district has a pro-D day and a strike day next week! (you'd think the teachers would take the high road and cancel the pro-D day if they could)

What do you think a Pro D is exactly?

Fees have been paid (teachers get a small budget for this - long exhausted by this time of year) venues have been rented or set aside, some presenters would have purchased plane tickets to get here etc. etc. Whatever. They should cancel. And then do what?

And how would it be the high road for teachers to avoid activities that help them get better at what they do? You are mistaking the high road for the low road for some reason.

Would this be the high road because the thing that pisses you off most is figuring out childcare? If that's where your bitterness comes from it explains a few things. I think it's where much of the anger towards teachers comes from. I AM INCONVENIENCED BY YOUR EFFORTS TO GET A CONTRACT YOU THINK IS FAIR!

This is a great example of how people formulate opinions on this situation; without knowledge or facts.

June 1, 2014, 3:12 p.m.

What do you think a Pro D is exactly?

Fees have been paid (teachers get a small budget for this - long exhausted by this time of year) venues have been rented or set aside, some presenters would have purchased plane tickets to get here etc. etc. Whatever. They should cancel. And then do what?

And how would it be the high road for teachers to avoid activities that help them get better at what they do? You are mistaking the high road for the low road for some reason.

Would this be the high road because the thing that pisses you off most is figuring out childcare? If that's where your bitterness comes from it explains a few things. I think it's where much of the anger towards teachers comes from. I AM INCONVENIENCED BY YOUR EFFORTS TO GET A CONTRACT YOU THINK IS FAIR!

This is a great example of how people formulate opinions on this situation; without knowledge or facts.

Maybe if the unions when it came to talking about pay and their benefits didn't say things like…."We are doing this to benefit the students" type tripe I have heard.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 1, 2014, 3:29 p.m.

Harvard has lower grad placement rates and starting salaries than a college of 2500 people in butt-fuck nowhere MT.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

HBS grad Median starting salary is $120k + 25 signing bonus + 30k other..

SOOO, no, although that placement rate is impressive.

http://www.hbs.edu/recruiting/mba/printready/data-and-statistics.html

http://www.mtech.edu/admissions/first-year/school-of-mines.htm

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

June 1, 2014, 3:45 p.m.

Maybe if the unions when it came to talking about pay and their benefits didn't say things like…."We are doing this to benefit the students" type tripe I have heard.

I'm not sure, the unions job is to ask for more money of course, but I suspect things would have been settled if the gov't had reinstated the stuff they illegally stripped from the teachers back in 2000 and something, and this would directly benefit the students, it would improve working conditions too.

And a lot of teachers use out of pocket money to buy classroom supplies, and that's not a tax deduction. Met a fellow who has a small fridge with milk and cereal in his elementary classroom so nobody goes hungry, and quite a few teachers who bring their own computer to use in school… that all adds up.

I did hear today, the gov't offer in the third year doesn't actually kick in in September at the start of the school year, but would kick in in May… at the end of the school year.

June 1, 2014, 4:56 p.m.

HBS grad Median starting salary is $120k + 25 signing bonus + 30k other..

SOOO, no, although that placement rate is impressive.

http://www.hbs.edu/recruiting/mba/printready/data-and-statistics.html

http://www.mtech.edu/admissions/first-year/school-of-mines.htm

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-28/average-harvard-graduate-will-make-60000-their-first-job-and-other-crimson-trivia

$60k/yr

61% placement

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

June 1, 2014, 7:18 p.m.

Plus they inconvenience a lot of people

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells