pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

May 28, 2014, 8:19 p.m.

New member, 1 post, well done.

Why does it matter that BC is more expensive ? If the cost of living is too high, and salaries too low relative to that cost, I have a solution . . . move. There is no RIGHT to live in Vancouver.

lol, what if every teacher in BC followed your advice?

www.natooke.com

May 28, 2014, 8:32 p.m.

which is chumpchange, compared to what the people people with the real power make.

Isn't that the truth!!!

May 28, 2014, 8:43 p.m.

it does seem to represent his line of thinking which is something that befuddles me. how can one think that running public education like private enterprise is a good thing?

And there is the crux of the whole matter. Those arguing in favour of the government are generally taking a "business case" position. That education, like any other business, should look for efficiencies … ways to cut costs, ways to achieve a certain outcome cheaply, 'efficiently'.

Our education system is not predicated on that position, nor should it be. We should be trying to give our next generation the best education we can give them, and cost/efficiency, while it should get some priority, is not the top priority.

It's interesting that the classical economists will argue that CEOs can demand multimillion dollar salaries "because that's what's needed to attract the best CEOs". But somehow that doesn't translate to those who are responsible for providing top-notch education for the next group of individuals who will be running the country, our businesses, our health care? What utter tripe.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 28, 2014, 9:09 p.m.

As a CEO in Vancouver, I'm making half of what a CEO in Toronto makes. I should get a big raise.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 28, 2014, 9:12 p.m.

and you will because you're a ceo and not a member of the proletariat.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 29, 2014, 1:10 a.m.

lol, what if every teacher in BC followed your advice?

Just like in real business, or say, with doctors…. if there becomes a teacher shortage, salaries would go up to attract more and incentives would be introduced. Tofino offered an incentive to get a doctor, but not for teachers. Seems to ge a supply and demand thing to me.

The union only distorts the reality for teachers…. too many teachers and not enough teaching positions.

May 29, 2014, 1:11 a.m.

Salaries for senior level (Director and up) positions for crown corps, and creation of more of those positions are rising wickedly fast. Let's start there.

'directors' are not politicians, they are unelected beaucrats.

May 29, 2014, 1:14 a.m.

what does this mean to you exactly?

Means that there isn't enough money to pay for everything teachers want. There is no tolerance to raise taxes to pay for it. BC'ers won't tolerate debt for teacher salaries.

Pretty simple.

May 29, 2014, 1:19 a.m.

Means that there isn't enough money to pay for everything teachers want. There is no tolerance to raise taxes to pay for it. BC'ers won't tolerate debt for teacher salaries.

Pretty simple.

so you'd be ok with teachers demands for classroom size and composition, just not salary increases?

do you not realize that education cannot be run like private business? it's not a simple equation like running a manufacturing facility where if bob does not meet his quota for building widgets then he doesn't get a raise or gets fired even?

do you realize that the teacher demands for salary increases would actually amount to less money than their demands for classroom improvements? improvements that would actually bring the classroom environment back to levels of say 30 years ago, if not even back to levels before the current liberal government decided to strip these support structures away

and are you forgetting that taxes for many sectors of the public have actually been cut? why do you think services are being cut or the costs for services are going up?

the gov't is selling you a bag of magic beans labelled as tax cuts and then reducing services by cutting staffing to make up for the short fall.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 29, 2014, 1:38 a.m.

Pretty simple.

so if your sole motivation in this debate boils down to that you don't want to pay teachers any more money and possibly that they already make too much money, why don't you share with us what you feel teachers should make. say teachers with:

0-5yrs experience
6-12yrs experience
13-19 yrs experience
20+yrs experience

i'm curious to hear the value you place on the work that teachers do.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 29, 2014, 5:34 a.m.

Anybody with any real skin in the game knows that 99% of teachers AND principals are fantastic at what they do and are doing it in a skeleton of what the schools were in my day.

Its not uncommon to see my kids' teachers cars at the school lot at 6am or as late as 7 or 8 pm.

They work after hours and on weekends with us to make sure my kids have the best chance possible for success….and we cant put some money back into them and the schools in the name of "low taxes"?

When I have to shell out 200 bucks for school supplies at the beginning of the year….when my kids teacher is driving a 20 year old beater because thats what he can afford….when I donate 100's of dollars of art supplies to the kindergarten because the money aint there from the school board (but they all drive shiny cars), that tells me its all broken and taxes need to be raised to get hings back on track.

Pastor of Muppets

May 29, 2014, 6:38 a.m.

'directors' are not politicians, they are unelected beaucrats.

Thank you for the clarification. I could have sworn I voted for the last director of customer service for ICBC but upon reflection I was just drawing a cat.

May 29, 2014, 7:04 a.m.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/story.html?id=9886338

May 29, 2014, 7:05 a.m.

To the "free market" types;

If it's okay for businesses that are "strong" to merge and acquire other, "weak" businesses and for large near-monopolies, then why is it bad for labour to do the same and form unions?

May 29, 2014, 7:09 a.m.

Pretty simple.

Except that it's completely wrong. There is plenty of tolerance but unfortunately it's usually mixed with mistrust that any raised taxes will just be wasted via incompetence and corruption. Many here have expressed willingness to pay more tax if they were certain it would benefit children's education.

www.natooke.com