pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

May 28, 2014, 4:24 p.m.

Lol,you have no idea what forestry workers are making nowadays,do you?

What they make today is irrelevant, the question is how many loggers are employed today vs historically. Forestry hits the dumps, people get laid off. There's no money to pay them.

http://www.cofi.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/COFI-BC-Ind-At-A-Glance-2012.pdf

2000 - direct employment of nearly 100,000
2012 - 56,000

How many teachers get laid off (and not rehired at the end of the summer) when the economy goes bad ?

May 28, 2014, 4:41 p.m.

the difference would be jobs went away due to modernization [HTML_REMOVED] cuz forestco can't make money selling the fibre but there are still lots of kids needing education and there is money to pay them

teachers did get laid off when they made budget cuts

pretty good job climate for new teachers up here btw

May 28, 2014, 4:45 p.m.

sorry kids, there's a deficit and no one wants to pay taxes, no money for teachers, no schoolin' for you.

May 28, 2014, 4:47 p.m.

sorry kids, there's a deficit and no one wants to pay taxes, no money for teachers, no schoolin' for you.

Who says we wouldn't pay higher taxes if that money went directly to education?

As for the deficit,id suggest that it is somewhat artificial. Take bets on a balanced budget just before election time?

Pastor of Muppets

May 28, 2014, 4:57 p.m.

How exactly are politicians 'hoarding our money' ? That makes no sense what so ever. Are they somehow hiding it from us ? Where are they keeping it if they are hoarding it ? And exactly how are they lining their pockets ?

I think that in BC the provincial politicians get economic reality. If government expenses are to go up, revenue has to go up. Government revenue = taxes, be it direct taxes or indirect like ICBC. This is why they won't give the teachers 20% raises.

Yes you are correct Politicians are perfectly honest law abiding citizens who put "we the people" before themselves acting always in our best interest and never for their own personal gain. I apologize for ever thinking otherwise.

May 28, 2014, 5:09 p.m.

Member of Parliament Salaries $163,700
Canadians pay more than $25 for every dollar politicians contribute to MP pensions

Her check out what our politicians get paid. Funny stuff I don't ever remember us agreeing to any of this?

http://canadaonline.about.com/od/houseofcommons/a/salaries-canadian-members-parliament.htm

May 28, 2014, 5:34 p.m.

How many teachers get laid off (and not rehired at the end of the summer) when the economy goes bad ?

that can't seriously be part of your reasoning and argument here?

:lol::lol::lol:

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 28, 2014, 5:49 p.m.

that can't seriously be part of your reasoning and argument here?

:lol::lol::lol:

O for shoor, srsly. Obviously when the ecawnimmy tanks there are suddenly fewer kids to teach, so yeah, blow them teachers off!

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 28, 2014, 5:54 p.m.

O for shoor, srsly. Obviously when the ecawnimmy tanks there are suddenly fewer kids to teach, so yeah, blow them teachers off!

well come to think of it i don't think that's what he was suggesting, just drawing a rather ridiculous comparison.

it does seem to represent his line of thinking which is something that befuddles me. how can one think that running public education like private enterprise is a good thing?

edit the only correct part of his analogy is that schools/classes will be closed/cut if enrollment dropssignificantly.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 28, 2014, 5:54 p.m.

Lowest paid MP gets $163,000 salary a year. Just saying

May 28, 2014, 6:09 p.m.

Private business is subject to the economic reality of their company, it is time the BC Teachers are subject to the economic reality of the taxpayer.

what does this mean to you exactly?

Ellen Langer

May 28, 2014, 7:12 p.m.

Lowest paid MP gets $163,000 salary a year. Just saying

which is chumpchange, compared to what the people people with the real power make.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 28, 2014, 7:20 p.m.

How exactly are politicians 'hoarding our money' ? That makes no sense what so ever. Are they somehow hiding it from us ? Where are they keeping it if they are hoarding it ? And exactly how are they lining their pockets ?

I think that in BC the provincial politicians get economic reality. If government expenses are to go up, revenue has to go up. Government revenue = taxes, be it direct taxes or indirect like ICBC. This is why they won't give the teachers 20% raises.

Salaries for senior level (Director and up) positions for crown corps, and creation of more of those positions are rising wickedly fast. Let's start there.

May 28, 2014, 7:24 p.m.

If the teachers job changed, them they should be paid more accordingly. If it hasn't changed then a cost of living increase would seem appropriate.

My son is finishing up his first year of Kindergarten. I feel like I should be paying part of his teacher’s rent. He has 5 kids in his class that speak only Mandarin. The other K class next door has kids with both physical and behavioral issues that require support. Canadian society is changing. It would be crazy to think that this wouldn’t impact the classroom. Ironically, the VSB was facing a budget shortfall in early April, and was considering (among other insanity) cutting support staff, as a way to balance the budget. This sure wouldn’t make things easier on teachers. Ask anyone who’s been in the teaching game for a long time, and I’ll buy you a new hat if you can find one that says his or her job is getting easier (or not changing).

You often hear the argument that teachers do all this work after school hours. So. Did they not know this going into the profession? Lawyers know what it takes to work like a dog at a big firm. Engineers know they will work more than 40 a week when they are busy and be laid off when there is no work. I was a geologist. I knew the deal going into it. I would work 70 to 80- hour weeks

Lawyers are billing clients for every hour they spend. Were you paid for only 40 of the 70-80 hours you were working? I’ve recently read that teachers are paid based on an instructional day that starts 15 minutes before class and 15 minutes after class ends. The teachers that I know spend a shit ton more time than that.

To me if a teacher does not like the wages here, they can move or change profession.

Coming from an American, who has seen good people leave the profession down South as a result of this apathetic attitude, I’d be careful what you ask for.

May 28, 2014, 7:37 p.m.

What they make today is irrelevant, the question is how many loggers are employed today vs historically. Forestry hits the dumps, people get laid off. There's no money to pay them.

http://www.cofi.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/COFI-BC-Ind-At-A-Glance-2012.pdf

2000 - direct employment of nearly 100,000
2012 - 56,000

While I agree with your premise that raises can't happen if the province loses money because of it, your argument here is crap. Logger were laid off when the demand for timber went down. If school enrollment was down as well, teachers would be laid off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.