pending teachers strike, BCTF and the gov't

May 26, 2014, 9:58 p.m.

I've met a lot of today's kids. Shitty investment.

the flipside of that is the lack of investment or the clawback of resources has given us these results.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 26, 2014, 9:59 p.m.

I've met a lot of today's kids. Shitty investment.

Right… let's euthanize the lot of them so the D.I.N.K.s can save on their taxes. Who needs another generation? Let's just stop the human race right here and be done with it.

www.natooke.com

May 26, 2014, 10:17 p.m.

Right… let's euthanize the lot of them so the D.I.N.K.s can save on their taxes. Who needs another generation? Let's just stop the human race right here and be done with it.

Holy crap you're a drama queen.

May 26, 2014, 10:20 p.m.

Educating our youth is not an expense, it's an investment.

It seems people are willing to risk larger future losses for short-term gains on their taxes.

I still don't know where all these so-called "terrible teachers" are either. I never had one. I don't think lousy teachers make it past the on-call stage of the career. Can anyone here cite an example of themselves or their child having a lousy full-time teacher?

I had two teachers in high school who I would categorize as lousy. Both had been teaching for a while and were well past the on call stage.

The first sat at the front of a social studies classroom, and either put a movie on or handed out a crossword almost every day. His class was the last one of the day, and he was typically off campus by the time the bell went off.

The second could best be described by quoting Clint Eastwood. He had gone ROAD on us. Retired on active duty. Sat in his office while we wasted time in the auto shop. He was capable of being a very good teacher when he wanted to, but over the course of two hours a day for my entire senior year, I can count on one hand the number of times that happened. He ran off several newer shop teachers who I would classify as exemplorary during my time at the school.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

May 26, 2014, 10:29 p.m.

the idea looks intriguing if done right, but it does seem that the system is not without it's faults as well.

and a less envious view but considering the source it may be best read with a grain of salt.

Yep, true 'dat.

May 26, 2014, 10:31 p.m.

Yep, true 'dat.

so how do we find a consensus? there has to be some middle ground of a system that delivers excellent education at a reasonable cost to the public.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 26, 2014, 10:41 p.m.

Holy crap you're a drama queen.

I'm not the one saying an entire generation isn't worth being educated.

www.natooke.com

May 26, 2014, 10:44 p.m.

I have a simple solution.

How about everyone agree to pay more tax on the condition that teacher's salaries don't change much but classes get smaller, special needs kids get the help they need and the teachers also have the resources they need to do their jobs effectively?

Is this really so impossible in a 1st world country?

www.natooke.com

May 26, 2014, 10:47 p.m.

I had two teachers in high school who I would categorize as lousy. Both had been teaching for a while and were well past the on call stage.

The first sat at the front of a social studies classroom, and either put a movie on or handed out a crossword almost every day. His class was the last one of the day, and he was typically off campus by the time the bell went off.

The second could best be described by quoting Clint Eastwood. He had gone ROAD on us. Retired on active duty. Sat in his office while we wasted time in the auto shop. He was capable of being a very good teacher when he wanted to, but over the course of two hours a day for my entire senior year, I can count on one hand the number of times that happened. He ran off several newer shop teachers who I would classify as exemplorary during my time at the school.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

so sample of two compared to the possibly 30 other teachers you may have had?

Ellen Langer

May 26, 2014, 10:47 p.m.

How about everyone agree to pay more tax on the condition that teacher's salaries don't change much but classes get smaller, special needs kids get the help they need and the teachers also have the resources they need to do their jobs effectively?

yes.

Ellen Langer

May 26, 2014, 10:50 p.m.

Great idea. Oh wait, the US tried it already and it's an abject failure. Fucking stupid idea.

while i agree with your sentiments, let's try and keep this civil shall we?

Frankly, I'm not the first person to haul out that particular language in this thread, but yet I'm the first that you've admonished for it … hmmmm …

But, if it makes you feel better …

That's awesome, because private schools would be rushing to take in kids with behavioral problems, who are low functioning, have learning disabilities, have low English language skills and come to school hungry every morning because their parents show up at the gate with a "voucher".

The reason private schools excel because they can pick and choose who they let in. That's their prerogative - they are privately owned and operated. The mandate of public education is to educate everyone else. And it goes without saying that every teacher in every shitty school in every shitty district is a shitty teacher and should be fired.

Its funny you mention music programs. My kids to go a public school with a specialized music program. The Principal of the school has a PhD in Music. You want to take Grade 12 Music Composition Class? You have to pass the audition first. Some of the kids play with orchestras and ensembles outside of school. Some days start with band, orchestra and choir practices starting at 7 am, some days practice ends at 8 pm. The school brings in professional musicians to the school to tutor students (in the students own time) at discounted rates, paid by parents out-of-pocket.

^^^ this

If they are such a failure, why do 5 students enter the lottery for every 1 spot available?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/education/success-academy-charter-schools-admission-rate-20-article-1.1746362

The only people who hate charter schools in the US? The unions, charter schools expose their failures.

If charter schools are such a damned huge success, then why doesn't the "invisible hand" of the free market make enough spaces available for all who wish a spot? Maybe because the free market really results in such a quick race to the bottom - a "strive for adequacy" credo - since most charter schools will try to meet the minimum criteria. Maybe, when private interests run the schools, any effort spent beyond that which churns students through the curriculum would be considered money wasted, or worse, an opportunity to extract more cash from parents? Why would the charter school have any extracurricular activities, sports, dances, parent-teacher activities, etc if there's no additional money in it?

Privatizing schools is bereft of all of the values we hold as Canadians.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 26, 2014, 10:51 p.m.

I'm not the one saying an entire generation isn't worth being educated.

Clearly, based on all of my comments, and my engagement in this thread, that is the absolute conclusion one should draw of what I think about our current school system. That, or I was injecting a little humor.

But if that's the black and white type of conversation you want to create, as a teacher (even if you're not a teacher in the BC system), then you've convinced me that I don't want my taxes going up.

What was it you repped me with earlier on this thread? Oh yeah…. "Don't be a little bitch about it".

May 26, 2014, 10:51 p.m.

Gee whiz. Two decades of ever-increasing tax cuts, and we're surprised that we can't fund the things most important to us. Health care, education and senior's care.

Go figure.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Okay. Someone gets it.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 26, 2014, 10:54 p.m.

Frankly, I'm not the first person to haul out that particular language in this thread, but yet I'm the first that you've admonished for it … hmmmm …

But, if it makes you feel better …

was esarc, thought you would pick that up with my choice of language.
we're on the same page on this one…

Ellen Langer

May 26, 2014, 11:25 p.m.

Clearly, based on all of my comments, and my engagement in this thread, that is the absolute conclusion one should draw of what I think about our current school system. That, or I was injecting a little humor.

But if that's the black and white type of conversation you want to create, as a teacher (even if you're not a teacher in the BC system), then you've convinced me that I don't want my taxes going up.

What was it you repped me with earlier on this thread? Oh yeah…. "Don't be a little bitch about it".

All your arguments have been picked apart by people who know a lot more about the conditions of the current education system than you do and you have replied with nothing but snark. Here have some more snark. You've stated before uninformed opinions do not need to be met with kindess or civility yet you complain when people treat you the same as you treat others here. You complain about shitty kids, well.. they probably went to shitty kindergarten. Go figure..

You don't even have kids in today's public school system. You are a complete outsider to what's going on BC classrooms yet you want to tell people who work in the field how they should solve the problem of an entire profession being so fed up with things that they are willing to walk out on the job and not get paid for an undetermined amount of time.

I myself am an outsider to BC education. I have been teaching ESL for a few years but what I do is a completely different animal from public education in any country. One thing I do have in common with BC teachers though is having to put up with uninformed opinions of people making claims and accusations against what we do without actually knowing what we do or the challenges we face.

So if I'm going to choose who to listen to I will listen to people on the ground who either work in the BC education system or at the very least have kids in it.

Some of the stories I have already heard from parents about their children's early learning experiences in this thread are shocking and now make me concerned for my unborn child's education where before I wasn't. As Canadians we should be holding ourselves to a higher standard not whining about taxes like misers. Especially when it comes to kindergarten. Those early years are more important than most people realize and can shape a person's entire life for better or worse. 3-6 years old happens to be the ages that I teach primarily.

Canada is admired worldwide as a country that takes care of it's citizens and how shitty it sounds like schools are becoming should make all of us ashamed.

www.natooke.com