Pelosi hammer attack

Nov. 5, 2022, 10:07 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: Endurimil

Posted by: Fast-Orange

The large number of Asians living here now has made the racists more angry not less. My wife is fully asian and has been called the ch slur three times in the last 5 years.

Don't know about angry. However the reality is we have deluded ourselves to believing that Canada is so not racist...blah blah blah. Bullshit. We have just as much capability as any to be discriminatory, racist, and bigotted as everyone else. Reality is it has always been there. Maybe not in your face like news feed stories from elsewhere but subtly it existed. It has become more prevalent definitely but more likely it is less hidden as activities in the US have become more prevalent and have become more emboldened to let their real views out.

And since some have mentioned critical thinking and Uni PHD type degrees. Before 2010 a certain Ontario Uni you know those places where it is supposed to be about critical thinking and intelligence. Well..it is at one of those Uni facilities during a vball game between Uni's. The opposition students sitting in the stands behind the benches decided that critical thinking meant it was a good idea at various points to call out "Aunt Jemima" at my wife during the game.  And I know their has been far more racist and such things done or aimed at my wife that she hasn't told me about.

Fuck People

I grew up in small-town BC and I have never deluded myself on this topic.  What FO says is true.  It's the clash between cultures that live side by side that always brings out the worst, so for a white racist, the growing number of non-white people makes them angrier.  In small-town BC racism is mainly focused on First Nations because that is the cultural and visible minority there.  A lot the people are casually racist across the board as well, but it is the First Nations that really get under their skin.  When I left and moved to the Lower Mainland the racism was less obvious to me because I didn't know everyone as I did back home, but what I saw focused on Chinese and Indian people. 

From what I have seen I think racism can take different forms, but most racists are very ethnocentric and insecure.  The most racist kids I knew growing up didn't like or respect anyone that wasn't similar to them culturally including other white people and I think that is at the core of the disdain for liberals and multiculturalism by conservative groups as well.  There was a kid I knew in high school and I never had any issues with him in 5 years, but when I came home from college for the summer and saw him at a party he wanted to fight me for being a "preppy f^g".  The insecurity comes out of them as hate and they never leave the bubble of others just like them.

Reality as have discovered there is a lot more racism and discrimination then we know beyond what we know and currently talk about.  And true like your example of that kids behaviour towards you changing there exists examples of that within about 5km's of my house.

For years since went to high school near Hamilton hard the history of how so many Scots and Irish came to this part of Canada and so on. Nothing ever spoken of what caused this and absolutely nothing was ever taught about what happened when they came here. First I started learning about it was a couple of older mtbers who lived in Toronto most of their lives told me growing up how there businesses you didn't apply to as it was known that if they knew you where or suspected you where Irish or Irish descent they wouldn't look at you. Told me how even into the late 1970's there where places where they still hade No Irish signs up. Even heard from two people who had for generations had only used part of their last name to hide the fact they where Irish. 

Here in Kingston since 2007 have heard word of mouth stories that the local hospital KGH was built on graves of Irish who died here after fleeing the  An Gorta Mor. The stories made it sound like a small number. Well the truth revealed last year is 1,400.  And it gets worse... in 1966 when KGH wanted expand the local Catholic Church and KGH and government lied that they moved all 1,400. They moved a statue and a couple of bodies. Then simply covered the rest and put a parking lot on the mass grave. Only starting last year with KGH re-developing are they having to admit this happened.

https://www.kingstonist.com/news/remains-of-irish-immigrants-interred-at-kgh-to-be-relocated/

In this part of Canada I believe there are far more un marked graves and probably mass graves of some size that exist. Say this as there was two unmarked mass graves found or confirmed in Etobicoke in a cemetary in 2016 that had 75  children in them.  Victims of the British Home child Program.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/02/27/dozens-of-british-home-children-lie-forgotten-in-etobicoke-cemetery.html

People suck.

Nov. 5, 2022, 10:19 a.m.

The effects of racism/bigotry never really leave you. Here's someone who's an MD and would have a decent understanding of how psychological trauma can affect people and ways to deal with. Even 30 plus years later as he recounts the story of how his bullies treated him, you can see that those memories still affect him. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POU1HjdXziM

Nov. 5, 2022, 11:12 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Then again trending is trending. Elon's retweet of a conspiracy theory right off the bat was enough to pull the plug.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-twitter-takeover-sparked-n-word-use-jump-2022-10%3famp

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/10/28/musk-twitter-racist-posts/

I did the same.

Nov. 5, 2022, 11:29 a.m.

Lots of stories from certain small towns a long time ago in the interior. My best buddy in grade school, Hiroshi Nakamura, got called chi- all the time in front of me, right in Lynn Valley. He's a prideful guy and you could tell it got to the heart of him.

Sure, Vancouver's gone down the shitter in other regards, but watching the diversity increase in the city over the decades has been a real bright point. Not at all uncommon to see mix race kids these days. We knew one mixed race couple the entire time I was growing up there in the 70's and 80's, and zero mixed race kids. 

Mind you somebody did scream at my kid that he's a half-breed just a few years ago on the North Shore...but yeah.