Pelosi hammer attack

Nov. 4, 2022, 10:14 a.m.

Too many dudes watch/listen to Joe Rogan.

Nov. 4, 2022, 10:21 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Posted by: Fast-Orange

The large number of Asians living here now has made the racists more angry not less. My wife is fully asian and has been called the ch slur three times in the last 5 years.

Don't know about angry. However the reality is we have deluded ourselves to believing that Canada is so not racist...blah blah blah. Bullshit. We have just as much capability as any to be discriminatory, racist, and bigotted as everyone else. Reality is it has always been there. Maybe not in your face like news feed stories from elsewhere but subtly it existed. It has become more prevalent definitely but more likely it is less hidden as activities in the US have become more prevalent and have become more emboldened to let their real views out.

And since some have mentioned critical thinking and Uni PHD type degrees. Before 2010 a certain Ontario Uni you know those places where it is supposed to be about critical thinking and intelligence. Well..it is at one of those Uni facilities during a vball game between Uni's. The opposition students sitting in the stands behind the benches decided that critical thinking meant it was a good idea at various points to call out "Aunt Jemima" at my wife during the game.  And I know their has been far more racist and such things done or aimed at my wife that she hasn't told me about.

Fuck People

I grew up in small-town BC and I have never deluded myself on this topic.  What FO says is true.  It's the clash between cultures that live side by side that always brings out the worst, so for a white racist, the growing number of non-white people makes them angrier.  In small-town BC racism is mainly focused on First Nations because that is the cultural and visible minority there.  A lot the people are casually racist across the board as well, but it is the First Nations that really get under their skin.  When I left and moved to the Lower Mainland the racism was less obvious to me because I didn't know everyone as I did back home, but what I saw focused on Chinese and Indian people. 

From what I have seen I think racism can take different forms, but most racists are very ethnocentric and insecure.  The most racist kids I knew growing up didn't like or respect anyone that wasn't similar to them culturally including other white people and I think that is at the core of the disdain for liberals and multiculturalism by conservative groups as well.  There was a kid I knew in high school and I never had any issues with him in 5 years, but when I came home from college for the summer and saw him at a party he wanted to fight me for being a "preppy f^g".  The insecurity comes out of them as hate and they never leave the bubble of others just like them.

Nov. 4, 2022, 10:58 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: syncro

The last decade or so has really opened my eyes to the number of people I know that I thought had some level of critical thinking but are totally susceptible to conspiracy theory nonsense. 

Yeah, I know what you mean. I know this one dude, nice guy, seems socially progressive and all but he believes in aliens. Like wtf?

The more you protest, the more I have to assume the aliens have already gotten to you.

Odds are pretty strong that there is some form of alien life thriving somewhere, there are so many billions (trillions?) of star systems, there have to be at least a few that had the conditions for life to begin.

Odds are infinitesimally low that any of those life forms have travelled interstellar distances to arrive at Earth. The nearest star system to Earth is Alpha Centauri, a little over 4 light-years away. Given our current technologies for space travel, it would take us over 6000 years to travel that far. Any aliens would have to have sufficient technology to travel at close to light speed. The amount of energy needed to accelerate any mass up to near light speed is staggering, and our current level of science knowledge can't do it. Current body of knowledge indicates only particles with a resting mass of zero can achieve light speed.

Failing that, something akin to warp speeds to enable super-lightspeed travel would have to be discovered, if it's even possible.

Nov. 4, 2022, 11:05 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

The last decade or so has really opened my eyes to the number of people I know that I thought had some level of critical thinking but are totally susceptible to conspiracy theory nonsense. 

Yeah, I know what you mean. I know this one dude, nice guy, seems socially progressive and all but he believes in aliens. Like wtf?

The more you protest, the more I have to assume the aliens have already gotten to you.

I've been to the 5th dimension, it's a rad place. The mtb'ing is awesome and they have DH ebikes that weigh less than our highest tech carbon-unobtanium XC bikes. You'd like it there..

Nov. 4, 2022, 11:34 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

Odds are pretty strong that there is some form of alien life thriving somewhere, there are so many billions (trillions?) of star systems, there have to be at least a few that had the conditions for life to begin.

Odds are infinitesimally low that any of those life forms have travelled interstellar distances to arrive at Earth. The nearest star system to Earth is Alpha Centauri, a little over 4 light-years away. Given our current technologies for space travel, it would take us over 6000 years to travel that far. Any aliens would have to have sufficient technology to travel at close to light speed. The amount of energy needed to accelerate any mass up to near light speed is staggering, and our current level of science knowledge can't do it. Current body of knowledge indicates only particles with a resting mass of zero can achieve light speed.

Failing that, something akin to warp speeds to enable super-lightspeed travel would have to be discovered, if it's even possible.

You are great at math KenN, but not very good at thinking outside of the box.  

First, you are thinking of aliens in human terms.  They might live way longer than we do and think of 1000 years as a doable space trip or 5000 years as feasible for a mission of some kind.  They might be on a planet near a black hole and can use time dilation to their benefit.  Or I think the most likely possibility is that they would send AI probes as we do for exploration so long times frames were less of an issue.  Travelling between stars is achievable with a source of constant acceleration, even below 1G.  This is not something we can even comprehend yet, but it doesn't require bending the theory of relativity or warp drives.  There is no need to go close to light speed and the energy required to accelerate doesn't increase that much until you are over 0.6C.  If we could send a probe to Alpha Centauri that took 50 years, that is 54 years before we were receiving data back from the mission.

An even more intriguing idea would be if they sent very small ships that could replicate and build from materials in some way.  They could build as many probes as needed upon arrival.  We (humans) have even considered doing this (without the replication part) using lasers to propel a tiny craft.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakthrough_Starshot

Nov. 4, 2022, 12:08 p.m.

This reminds me of a good joke

A  mathematician, physicist, chemist and engineer are all given the task of finding the volume of a solid red rubber ball. 

The mathematician takes a series of measurements and does a triple integral to come up with the volume.
The physicist measure the radius and uses a simple equation to find the volume.
The chemist drops the ball into a beaker of water and reads the volume off the side of the beaker.
The engineer reads the serial number off the ball, goes over to the bookshelf to find the Red Rubber Ball book and looks up the volume.

Nov. 4, 2022, 12:26 p.m.

I grew up in small-town BC and I have never deluded myself on this topic. What FO says is true. It's the clash between cultures that live side by side that always brings out the worst, so for a white racist, the growing number of non-white people makes them angrier. In small-town BC racism is mainly focused on First Nations because that is the cultural and visible minority there.

Exactly ^^ its the FN who were subjected to residential school, rascism and it wasnt that long ago that the FN were barred from ALL the local restaurants & bars in this town, they tell me there was also a bar that had a "no hippie" sign,

I got to know some of the most compromised FN when I voly wrenched some junker bikes in the blue bike program so they could range further to pick more bottle and buy more Vat 74, I would talk to them sometimes

they are all dead now before reaching retirement age

But that Chinese guy was OK , in fact he owned the Northern Star Cafe so he welcomed the FN and to this day The FN still hang out go to the Northern Star for canadian chinese food

Last edited by: XXX_er on Nov. 4, 2022, 12:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 4, 2022, 12:37 p.m.

First, you are thinking of aliens in human terms.  They might live way longer than we do and think of 1000 years as a doable space trip or 5000 years as feasible for a mission of some kind.  They might be on a planet near a black hole and can use time dilation to their benefit.  Or I think the most likely possibility is that they would send AI probes as we do for exploration so long times frames were less of an issue.  Travelling between stars is achievable with a source of constant acceleration, even below 1G.  This is not something we can even comprehend yet, but it doesn't require bending the theory of relativity or warp drives.  There is no need to go close to light speed and the energy required to accelerate doesn't increase that much until you are over 0.6C.  If we could send a probe to Alpha Centauri that took 50 years, that is 54 years before we were receiving data back from the mission.

An even more intriguing idea would be if they sent very small ships that could replicate and build from materials in some way.  They could build as many probes as needed upon arrival.  We (humans) have even considered doing this (without the replication part) using lasers to propel a tiny craft.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakthrough_Starshot

They might ride magical space unicorns and have found inter-dimensional time travel after a rogue comet supercharged the planet krypton.

Nov. 4, 2022, 1:05 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I grew up in small-town BC and I have never deluded myself on this topic. What FO says is true. It's the clash between cultures that live side by side that always brings out the worst, so for a white racist, the growing number of non-white people makes them angrier. In small-town BC racism is mainly focused on First Nations because that is the cultural and visible minority there.

Exactly ^^ its the FN who were subjected to residential school, rascism and it wasnt that long ago that the FN were barred from ALL the local restaurants & bars in this town, they tell me there was also a bar that had a "no hippie" sign,

I got to know some of the most compromised FN when I voly wrenched some junker bikes in the blue bike program so they could range further to pick more bottle and buy more Vat 74, I would talk to them sometimes

they are all dead now before reaching retirement age

But that Chinese guy was OK , in fact he owned the Northern Star Cafe so he welcomed the FN and to this day The FN still hang out go to the Northern Star for canadian chinese food

The irony in this town is the majority of the problems now are caused by the methhead offspring of the rural conservatives and the most respected,productive and revered are people of colour.

Personally, i dont give a shit where you come from, if youre cool, youre cool.

Nov. 4, 2022, 1:09 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Holy shit.  That level of discrimination and hate leaves a lasting mark.  Where I grew up it was definitely not that crazy, but we had a lot of hippies.

Nov. 4, 2022, 1:15 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Too many dudes watch/listen to Joe Rogan.

It's gotten to the point that it's been proven that Joe Rogan listeners have shorter average lifespans than non-listeners.

Nov. 4, 2022, 1:18 p.m.

I liked him in the early days but hes basically gwenyth paltrow for bros.

Nov. 4, 2022, 1:37 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

I liked him in the early days but hes basically gwenyth paltrow for bros.

Same.  The guests used to be completely random and interesting back then too.   Now people know he has a big audience and want to use it as a platform.

Nov. 4, 2022, 9:04 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Odds are infinitesimally low that any of those life forms have travelled interstellar distances to arrive at Earth. The nearest star system to Earth is Alpha Centauri, a little over 4 light-years away.

MARtians are from Mars.   Only 26 million km, give or take.

Nov. 5, 2022, 12:21 a.m.

Pretty much all life on earth has a finite lifespan, and it's typically short.  ET life could be something vastly different, but from our understanding not likely.

Don't know how being near a black hole and time dilation is going to help move across vast distances.

And I don't know what type of propulsion system can be used to accelerate a mass for enough time to get up to 0.6C.  Then the same amount of energy would be needed to slow that mass down when it gets to the destination.

Another issue with this high speed travel is hitting something along the way.  Even something as small as cosmic dust at 0.6C would impact a large amount of energy in a collision; a rock would be catastrophic.