Pelosi hammer attack

Nov. 1, 2022, 1:25 p.m.

Bringing it back to the actual topic.  It's absolutely wild how the far right creates, spreads and then weaponizes misinformation and conspiracy theory to create this environment where political violence happens.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/31/politics/pelosi-attack-right-wing-conspiracy-theories-invs/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/01/politics/donald-trump-paul-pelosi-reaction/index.html

Despite the lack of evidence, it took less than 24 hours after the attack for the “gay lover” theory to take root in right-wing social media circles.  There have been at least 19,000 tweets mentioning the words “Pelosi” and “gay” since the day of the attack, garnering a total of more than 700,000 likes, according to a CNN analysis – and that doesn’t include tweets referencing the theory without those words, or tweets that have since been deleted.

Think about that.  Less than 1 day after a man attacks the husband of Nancy Pelosi, the right has ginned up and supported a fake and disgusting hoax and had the former President of the USA give it some level of credence.  I don't know how the USA backs itself out of this dangerous corner where such a large group is brainwashed and goose-stepping in sync with the Fox/Breitbart/OAN/alt-rightTwitter propaganda train.  The historical parallels to the Nazis are striking.

Nov. 1, 2022, 1:34 p.m.

As issues of social justice have expanded, so has the left/right rage. It seems that a lot of this is on the backs of despondent white males who are fearful/angry of losing the privilege they have.

Nov. 1, 2022, 2 p.m.

Are there any examples of "Left Rage" that has caused a similar level of political violence to this or to the Jan 6 insurrection?

Nov. 1, 2022, 2:18 p.m.

Read that as rage/anger from the right against the left. I probably could have worded it better but thought my comment about privilege would indicate what I was referring to.

Last edited by: syncro on Nov. 1, 2022, 2:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 1, 2022, 2:26 p.m.

ah - gotcha, and I agree. I get a bit agitated when I think the "both sides" lazy journalist hot take is coming into play.

tribal warfare and culture war is the last thing "the right" has to run on. if the right ran solely on policy, the support would dry up as they only want the following:

• drive taxation on the wealthy to zero
  • privatize all health care
  • remove as many "entitlements" and social safety net programs as possible (see point 1)
  • stop any move towards reducing/reversing climate change
  • full federal abortion ban
  • reverse decision allowing gay marriage
  • move the USA as close to a white christian ethno-state as possible

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Nov. 1, 2022, 2:28 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 1, 2022, 4:39 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

ah - gotcha, and I agree. I get a bit agitated when I think the "both sides" lazy journalist hot take is coming into play.

tribal warfare and culture war is the last thing "the right" has to run on. if the right ran solely on policy, the support would dry up as they only want the following:

• remove as many "entitlements" and social safety net programs as possible (see point 1)

Reality is reversing the decision to allow gay marriage has opened the door to say reversing the Loving Vs Virginia 1967 Human Rights decision which allowed inter racial marriage. Ironically that decision many consider the stepping stone to the same sex marriage civil rights cases. 

And know of a same sex inter racial couple who have recently moved back to Canada because it was unsafe. And have heard that a few inlaws living the US are looking to leave the US as they don't feel safe even as inter racial couple of differing sexes.

Nov. 1, 2022, 4:48 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Reality is reversing the decision to allow gay marriage has opened the door to say reversing the Loving Vs Virginia 1967 Human Rights decision which allowed inter racial marriage. Ironically that decision many consider the stepping stone to the same sex marriage civil rights cases. 

And know of a same sex inter racial couple who have recently moved back to Canada because it was unsafe. And have heard that a few inlaws living the US are looking to leave the US as they don't feel safe even as inter racial couple of differing sexes.

To be fair I'm hated by a large portion of the left now for being a white man married to a Chinese woman but I am also way less afraid of the left trying to kill me for it. 

The recent trend of accusing the LGBTQ community of child grooming is extremely disturbing. That's how it started in the Weimar Republic. Few are aware that gay and trans folk had gained a large amount of rights there in a relatively short period of time which led to a huge conservative backlash. Those piles of books they were burning was mostly queer literature. Protecting children was the justification for what they did to them next.

Nov. 1, 2022, 4:57 p.m.

David Pakman does a good job picking apart how and why Tucker amplifies these lies

https://youtu.be/BMhjOhoCV7g

and on Trumpist responses

https://youtu.be/oSM1v8eb2bw

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Nov. 1, 2022, 5:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 1, 2022, 5:33 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

To be fair I'm hated by a large portion of the left now for being a white man married to a Chinese woman but I am also way less afraid of the left trying to kill me for it. 

Can you explain that?

Nov. 1, 2022, 5:52 p.m.

David Pakman does a good job picking apart how and why Tucker amplifies these lies

and on Trumpist responses

Never heard of this guy before, but gawd dam that's great work. Especially that first video, it provides a lot of really good methods on how to deal with conspiracy thinking.

Nov. 1, 2022, 5:52 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Can you explain that?

The narrative I've seen from some progressive circles is that my wife comes from a place of extreme suffering and economic hardship of which she would do anything to escape and that I as a white western man am taking advantage of that so that she can leave the communist hell that is China and be in Canada. 

I dont really care what they think about me but I get a little pissed off that they assume my wife is some poor oppressed victim in need of being saved and completely lacking self agency.

Nov. 1, 2022, 6:03 p.m.

The narrative I've seen from some progressive circles is that my wife comes from a place of extreme suffering and economic hardship of which she would do anything to escape and that I as a white western man am taking advantage of that so that she can leave the communist hell that is China and be in Canada.

I dont really care what they think about me but I get a little pissed off that they assume my wife is some poor oppressed victim in need of being saved and completely lacking self agency.

The thing is the idea of somewhat well off white dudes taking advantage of their situation to find a wife in a depressed country is not necessarily wrong, but the BIG mistake is making a false assumption that's the situation in any particular instance of inter-racial or inter-ethnic marriage. I don't doubt it happens, but I also don't think that's what always happens. That type of thinking is poor logic and falls into the fallacy of composition; assuming all instances of a situation are the same as one specific instance. It's part of the greasy underbelly of shitty logic and poor thinking practices that can happen to anyone no matter what their political stripes are. It's why I think things like philosophy, critical thinking and research methods should begin being taught in grade school.

Last edited by: syncro on Nov. 1, 2022, 6:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarity
Nov. 1, 2022, 6:08 p.m.

I hate people

Nov. 1, 2022, 6:12 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

The thing is the idea of somewhat well off white dudes taking advantage of their situation to find a wife in a depressed country is not necessarily wrong, but the BIG mistake is making a false assumption that's the situation in any particular instance of inter-racial or inter-ethnic marriage. I won't doubt it happens, but I don't think that's what always happens. It's poor logic and the fallacy of composition, assuming all instances of a situation are the same as one specific instance. It's part of the greasy underbelly of shitty logic and poor thinking practices that can happen to anyone no matter what their political stripes are. It's why I think things like philosophy, critical thinking and research methods begin being taught in grade school.

I totally agree. There are most definitely a lot of really gross white man asian woman marriages but yeah judge not people you've never met whose stories you don't know. Anyways enough of that thread jack. The real point was maybe someday a leftist will yell at me for having a Chinese wife but a nazi might kill me and her for it and that's the key difference.

Nov. 1, 2022, 7:34 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

yeah mom used to drag that ^^ one out from time to time, I think the reality was that they didnt like her,

seriuosly there are more non white people in Vangroovy than there are white people