Olson on death bed?

Sept. 26, 2011, 3:43 p.m.

If I hear that someone died, I feel sad, even if it's someone I wasn't fond of. Well, except if it's someone like Olson, in which case I say good riddance.

No death penalty, but no special treatment. Olson should have been put in with the general population.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 26, 2011, 4:20 p.m.

I think sometimes we forget that we are animals too. And some of us should just be put down. FFS. And all that jazz.

JAZZ HANDS!

But I digress.

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 26, 2011, 4:28 p.m.

To people like Olson life means nothing; I doubt he'd be upset if his were ended.

yes, while a "rope" is less expensive, the death penalty in a developed country is not.

any other pro death penalty arguments left anyone?

To people like Olson life means nothing; I doubt he'd be upset if his were ended.

i think you may be suggesting that we give the death penalty to those who want to die or those that don't care, but spare those wanting to live? not sure i'm on board with that

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Sept. 26, 2011, 4:43 p.m.

yes, while a "rope" is less expensive, the death penalty in a developed country is not.

i think you may be suggesting that we give the death penalty to those who want to die or those that don't care, but spare those wanting to live? not sure i'm on board with that

wtf is a facebook gold account??

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 26, 2011, 4:58 p.m.

wtf is a facebook gold account??

wat

Sept. 26, 2011, 6:28 p.m.

any other pro death penalty arguments…

Yes. Make it cheaper in developed countries.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 26, 2011, 6:36 p.m.

ok, once you have the system changed so execution is less expensive, we can open the debate back up.

Sept. 26, 2011, 8:37 p.m.

Exactly. So no correlation to the death penalty being or not being a deterrent.

Any arguments left for the death penalty?

Pay per view?

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Sept. 26, 2011, 8:38 p.m.

Please. Japanese society is an exception … I believe the rate of virtually all kinds of everyday criminality experienced in most societies are low in Japan. There was virtually no (zero is what I heard - maybe a slight exaggeration) looting in Japan after the earthquakes. I don't think it was because people were afraid of getting caught and punished. I think it is because the idea that common theft is dishonorable is burned into the psyche of a very, very large majority of Japanese.

Or their society has already learned how to deal with catastrophe's. Whether it's a natural or say, nuclear.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Sept. 26, 2011, 11:19 p.m.

ok, once you have the system changed so execution is less expensive, we can open the debate back up.

Harper will do it.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Sept. 27, 2011, 8:50 a.m.

i think you may be suggesting that we give the death penalty to those who want to die or those that don't care, but spare those wanting to live? not sure I'm on board with that

It doesn't have to be expensive; it's been made expensive because its used on people when incarceration would work fine. I'm talking people about people like Olson who are predators and won't stop no matter what length of time they're locked up for.

There needs to be a certain criteria that has to be met before execution is even an option. If you're a serial murderer, rapist or child molester having a really long time out isn't going to cure you. These people aren't in the heat of the moment committing a crime, they are preying on other people and have no regard for human life.

If you're asking whether or not I support euthanasia the answer is yes. In my early 20's I watched my grandfather die slowly and suffer when he didn't need to or want to. Watch a documentary called How to Die in Oregon it gives really good insights to what people go thru who opt for euthanasia.

In no way am I suggesting that we execute people who are suicidal; they need medical help.

Sept. 27, 2011, 10:26 a.m.

It doesn't have to be expensive; it's been made expensive because its used on people when incarceration would work fine. I'm talking people about people like Olson who are predators and won't stop no matter what length of time they're locked up for.

There needs to be a certain criteria that has to be met before execution is even an option. If you're a serial murderer, rapist or child molester having a really long time out isn't going to cure you. These people aren't in the heat of the moment committing a crime, they are preying on other people and have no regard for human life.

If you're asking whether or not I support euthanasia the answer is yes. In my early 20's I watched my grandfather die slowly and suffer when he didn't need to or want to. Watch a documentary called How to Die in Oregon it gives really good insights to what people go thru who opt for euthanasia.

wat

If you're a serial murderer, rapist or child molester having a really long time out isn't going to cure you. These people aren't in the heat of the moment committing a crime, they are preying on other people and have no regard for human life.

agreed. sorry i thought you were arguing for the death penalty, not that olson is a bad guy. i think we'd all agree he has no regard for other people's lives

Sept. 27, 2011, 10:39 a.m.

wat

agreed. sorry i thought you were arguing for the death penalty, not that olson is a bad guy. i think we'd all agree he has no regard for other people's lives

I am in specific cases like this. He is a bad guy and there's no reason to keep him or others that fit into his category alive. I think Pickton is another one that fits this category.

I guess my question would be.. Do we not execute him because he is a human being? After that I would ask does he feel remorse, guilt or compassion for any other human beings? If he doesn't then how is he different than a dog or a bear that gets put down for attacking a person.

I think there are good reasons on both sides but in a specific case like this its an easy decision for me.

Sept. 27, 2011, 11:19 a.m.

Olsen can't die fast enough for me. Die already.

Sept. 27, 2011, 11:48 a.m.

I am in specific cases like this. He is a bad guy and there's no reason to keep him or others that fit into his category alive. I think Pickton is another one that fits this category.

I guess my question would be.. Do we not execute him because he is a human being? After that I would ask does he feel remorse, guilt or compassion for any other human beings? If he doesn't then how is he different than a dog or a bear that gets put down for attacking a person.

I think there are good reasons on both sides but in a specific case like this its an easy decision for me.

But you could be wrong about him being guilty, so executing him would be a mistake.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells