Old growth logging

Sept. 30, 2021, 7:46 p.m.

A lot of cedars get brown patches this time of year, it's natural for them to do that. However, I spoke to an arborist 2 days ago & he said it's worse this year due to the summer we had (summers we are having).

There are way less sawmills in BC than just a few years ago. There are even less sawmills that can handle large trees. (Most mills now are not set up to handle logs of that diameter). That being said, as old growth is increasingly harder to find, the value & price goes up exponentially.

I have no issues with clear cutting areas that have already been harvested / replanted. It's the most efficient way to log. But for the sake of planet earth's occupants, please leave the old growth alone. Hopefully Horgan will do something about it.

Oct. 1, 2021, 7:22 a.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

Yup,seen all the cedars turning brown from the inside out due to the heat dome? Pretty much every cedar on the island is dying.

If I remember my serial stage progression stuff right even without human intervention the normal progression out of the last ice age is for the coastal cedar forests (and alpine) is for them to lose out to the various Doug fir-dominated ecosystems. 

Drive me nuts whenever a client wanted a big bank of cedar (or similar) hedges because of the amount of watering they were going to take over the next 40 years.

Oct. 2, 2021, 6:49 p.m.

Do cedar hedges take a lot of water once they get established? I have some pretty tall ones & I rarely water them. They are doing fine. When they are young, for sure you've got to water. I think laurel would make a better hedge.

Last edited by: Stuminator on Oct. 2, 2021, 6:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 4, 2021, 7:43 a.m.

Not once they’re big historically but they take a long time to get big and many of the big ones started dying off around here (Victoria) as well once the summer droughts started to get longer and longer. 

The company I worked for started to install irrigation for established shrubs that didn’t used to need it. Or take em down and replace with English laurel if they want a big hedge fast.  Big fan of English and Portuguese laurels for a large structured printable shrub personally.

Oct. 14, 2021, 5:45 p.m.

The negative effects of old growth logging reach far beyond the loss of the trees, it affects the entire ecosystem.

From this article: https://thenarwhal.ca/haida-gwaii-goshawk-endangered-species

The biggest threat to stads k’un is industrial logging. The bird — about the size of a raven — lives primarily in old-growth forests, nesting in hemlock and spruce, and relies on a diet of small mammals and birds like grouse, sapsuckers and flickers. Mature forests provide a diversity of food sources and spaces to fly and perch below the canopy in search of prey. Stads k’un hunt by ambush, flying short distances and perching while searching for the critter destined to become a meal. The bird has been described as fearless, often crashing into the forest floor at high speeds and tumbling through the understory as it grapples with its prey.

None of the Haida’s traditional forest-use imperilled stads k’un populations. That’s partly why we’re here to see this particular site; it proves humans can coexist with this bird, it just requires a light touch. Haida logged trees and benefited from forest resources for millenia, maintaining a balance between extraction and preservation that supported the area’s rich biodiversity. The problem isn’t logging — it’s how we log, and how much.

“We’ve been steering the ship towards the cliff for long enough,” Morigeau says. “We have to start changing the way we think about things, the way we define things, the way we talk about these things, or we’re going to be stuck in this patriarchal, colonial mindset that we are in charge of nature — that’s bullshit.”

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 14, 2021, 6:03 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 27, 2021, 7:21 p.m.

Anyone watch "Big Timber" on Netflix? 

Sucks to see the logging industry pushing up the Nahmint Valley in recent years, seeing it documented on a reality TV show is quite odd in this day and age.

Oct. 27, 2021, 7:51 p.m.

Posted by: Madman

Anyone watch "Big Timber" on Netflix?

Sucks to see the logging industry pushing up the Nahmint Valley in recent years, seeing it documented on a reality TV show is quite odd in this day and age.

Is good. Can use footage to slap them with a charge of ecocide in future.

https://www.stopecocide.earth/making-ecocide-a-crime

Last edited by: tungsten on Oct. 27, 2021, 7:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 8, 2021, 12:47 p.m.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2021/11/08/BC-Paused-Old-Growth-Logging-Now-What/

Last edited by: tungsten on Nov. 9, 2021, 11:15 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 8, 2021, 10:27 p.m.

^^^

Source? That table needs proper context to be able to evaluate it properly.

Nov. 9, 2021, 12:18 p.m.

a few years ago I did about a week of work with a BC gov forestry science guy, he told me they had found plots of dead cedar on the coast that were suposed to be in a rain forest but the trees had died from drought near as he could figure which sounds like a result of climate change

Nov. 9, 2021, 6:53 p.m.

Big ooooof, was the fuzz not doing their radio calls or what?

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-news/logging-truck-collides-with-rcmp-vehicles-headed-to-enforce-bc-injunction-4741908

Last edited by: tashi on Nov. 9, 2021, 6:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 9, 2021, 7:19 p.m.

Don't the RCMP rule the road, just hit that siren when they see that  loaded  7 axle coming at them ?  I been hearing the cops don't call the road up on he morice where they have been dealing with the unistolten so an accident was just a matter of time eh

Nov. 9, 2021, 8:11 p.m.

Loaded trucks rule the road....always....everytime. 63,500 kg doesnt care about your shiny badge. If you hear a loaded coming your way,find a pull out or let the driver know youre there. It takes about 250 meters to stop a full load in good conditions.

Nov. 9, 2021, 8:12 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Don't the RCMP rule the road, just hit that siren when they see that  loaded  7 axle coming at them ?  I been hearing the cops don't call the road up on he morice where they have been dealing with the unistolten so an accident was just a matter of time eh

The morice is a 4 lane hiway these days. No one calls, just like the babine or granisle connector.

Nov. 9, 2021, 8:16 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I bet they thought they did. Momentum DGAF about po-po arrogance apparently.