Old growth logging

July 5, 2021, 3:08 p.m.

Pave the Clayoquot

Sept. 1, 2021, 4:19 p.m.

That one little dark strip of green in the bottom centre of the photo is "Fairy Creek". There's some green around it, but most of it has been logged and is in various stages of regrowth. There's obviously a ton of recent logging too, and of course pretty much everything in that pic has been logged out. Fairy Creek is one of the last intact ancient watersheds on Southern Van Isle.

Sept. 29, 2021, 6:12 a.m.

Breaking news: 

BC judge will not extend the injunction against the fairy creek blockade because of the behavior of the RCMP

Sept. 29, 2021, 11:42 a.m.

fuck yeah

Sept. 29, 2021, 2:29 p.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-fairy-creek-court-civil-liberties-injunction-1.6192827

Some real zingers from the guy in the robe!

Thompson acknowledged that allowing the injunction to expire could cause serious harm to the company's interests and to the rule of law.

"On the other hand, methods of enforcement of the court's order have led to serious and substantial infringement of civil liberties, including impairment of the freedom of the press to a marked degree," he said.

"And, enforcement has been carried out by police officers rendered anonymous to the protesters, many of those police officers wearing 'thin blue line' badges. All of this has been done in the name of enforcing this court's order."

Sept. 29, 2021, 3:21 p.m.

Nice to see the court calling out the RCMP on their thin blue line bullshit.

Sept. 29, 2021, 4:18 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Nice to see the court calling out the RCMP on their thin blue line bullshit.

^^This!!

Sept. 29, 2021, 7:28 p.m.

B.C . is so big, why do they feel they have to cut old growth at Fairy Creek? Perhaps the BC gubbmint can trade Teal that spot for a different spot somewhere else in the province?

Sept. 30, 2021, 12:18 a.m.

I imagine more profit in big trees?

Sept. 30, 2021, 10:52 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

I think it has something to do with how the sawmills are set up but I could be wrong. And yes a 1' x 4' beam is worth a shitload of money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshU58nI0Ts&ab_channel=OduncuG%C3%B6mle%C4%9Fi

Sept. 30, 2021, 3:29 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

I think it has something to do with how the sawmills are set up but I could be wrong. And yes a 1' x 4' beam is worth a shitload of money.

What advantages would a beam like that have over an LVL beam though? 

Isn't lvl both stronger and less burny?

Sept. 30, 2021, 3:50 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

Sawmills yes but mostly quality of the wood. Plus you can get exponentially more wood out of a larger diameter tree than a smaller one. 

The ads that the TLA - truck loggers assn - have been running lately about presenting "facts" are pretty funny, claiming that only a tiny percentage of Old Growth is logged every year. Maybe they should mention that something like 98% of the large ancient trees that were standing before they/we started logging them are now gone. It's strange that many in forestry are oblivious to the idea that what they once believed to be an unlimited resource has now pretty much run out/ There are estimates that at the current rates of cut,, in another 10 years there will be nothing left of old growth trees except for what's protected in parks. Those parks represent a small percentage of the south coast land mast, so yeah, most of it has already been cut. It will be interesting to see what all these people will do/say when there's no more big trees left to cut. Who will they complain to then?

Sept. 30, 2021, 3:55 p.m.

That's the great irony, the logging towns are going to be just as fucked in 10 years when they're out of o/g to log, only then they can't even bank on tourism cause absolutely no one is going to come see the stumps in the cut block boardwalk through the micro desert clear cut. 

Just leave em standing fuck, the biological diversity in an old growth forest compared to second growth is orders of magnitude greater than the price they can get for trees.  Uggh.

Sept. 30, 2021, 4:04 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

That's the great irony, the logging towns are going to be just as fucked in 10 years when they're out of o/g to log, only then they can't even bank on tourism cause absolutely no one is going to come see the stumps in the cut block boardwalk through the micro desert clear cut. 

Just leave em standing fuck, the biological diversity in an old growth forest compared to second growth is orders of magnitude greater than the price they can get for trees.  Uggh.

I've read a few things that suggest that biodiversity will never come back once all the old growth is taken out of an area. Part of is because of how long it took to develop in the first place and a big part is climate change. The conditions that created the south coast environment in are gone and may not be coming back for a loooong time - if ever. The early signs of the ecology changing due to higher temps and lack of moisture are already being seen and it's going to continue to get worse. The window on preserving what little is left, in light of climate change, is just about closed.

Sept. 30, 2021, 4:44 p.m.

Yup,seen all the cedars turning brown from the inside out due to the heat dome? Pretty much every cedar on the island is dying.