Old growth logging

May 27, 2021, 3:14 p.m.

Logging is what helped build this province and there's been a fair bit in the news lately on old growth logging including the blockades at Fairy Creek. The issue of how these ancient tress are quickly disappearing and that more needs to be done to protect what's left is something that the current NDP government is failing on. If you dive into the ecology of old growth tress it becomes apparent how important they are. There's also the social value as well. If you've never spent any time wandering among and appreciating giant trees it's an experience not to be missed and I suggest you find time to do it before it becomes next to impossible to do. This photo popped up on my very limited twitter feed and I felt sad when I saw it.

The Narwhal has done a pretty good job reporting on the issue:

https://thenarwhal.ca/bc-old-growth-forest-fairy-creek-panel-garry-merkel/

https://thenarwhal.ca/bc-forests-old-growth-impacts-map/

The pic is from here:

https://thetyee.ca/News/2021/05/26/Giant-Old-Growth-Cedar-BC-Highway/

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 27, 2021, 4:02 p.m.

Synchro: sad 

The rest of the world: outraged

Old growth on a flatbed: priceless

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tree-cedar-truck-viral-social-media-1.6042822

May 27, 2021, 4:56 p.m.

The NDP's silence on this issues is absolutely pathetic.

Fairy creek is literally the last uncut unprotected watershed in the south island, and there aint much else left in that regard anywhere else up island.  It's such a short sighted practice, and the industry shills are out in full force everywhere you look. they argue about how the one side makes up numbers blah blah blah, just fucking look at google earth. its not hard to see for yourself how the entire island is one giant patchwork of destruction. 

Let's leave what's left off the table for posterity's sake, cause once youve cut it all down then fucking what?

morons.

May 27, 2021, 4:58 p.m.

The narwhal is full of shit.

That stem has been sitting in a sort for some time and is just now being sent for processing...at an island mill.

Fairy creek is not being logged, but 20 heactares of a 200 hectare tenure geographically near fairy creek is.

May 27, 2021, 5:06 p.m.

Furthermore, modern mills arent equipped to handle stems that big, it will have to go to a specialty mill.

Hook line and sinker....you guys are so cute when youre gullible

May 27, 2021, 5:12 p.m.

None of that makes it ok to keep hammering old growth..

May 27, 2021, 6:08 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

The narwhal is full of shit.

That stem has been sitting in a sort for some time and is just now being sent for processing...at an island mill.

Fairy creek is not being logged, but 20 heactares of a 200 hectare tenure geographically near fairy creek is.

That pic isn't from the Narwhal. The picture is from someone who saw it on the highway that I saw on my twitter feed. I shared the pic from the Tyee article which does say it wasn't freshly cut and explains the context of the photo. I clearly stated the pic was from the Tyee article and gave context to that. If you had cared to actually read what was posted instead of jumping to conclusions you would have figured that out.

May 27, 2021, 6:39 p.m.

Furthermore, modern mills arent equipped to handle stems that big, it will have to go to a specialty mill.

Maybe if you quit huffing the grease and oil fumes in the shop you'd be able to comprehend what was actually typed out instead of making stupid and false conclusions.

May 27, 2021, 6:51 p.m.

probably being sent straight over to Japan or China to be milled....  the politicians are so much in the back pockets of the big lumber players it's really sickening what's happening.

May 27, 2021, 7:04 p.m.

I don’t like losing old growth but indigenous self determination is a hard fought legal right so I don’t feel I as a non indigenous person I have any legal or moral right yet weigh in on what they do on their land.

This band needs income, desperately and their government has chosen this. Not my place to tell them how to improve life on their land.

Last edited by: tashi on May 27, 2021, 7:10 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 27, 2021, 7:25 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I don’t like losing old growth but indigenous self determination is a hard fought legal right so I don’t feel I as a non indigenous person have any legal or moral right yet weigh in on what they do on their land.

This band needs income, desperately and their government has chosen this. Not my place to tell them how to get improve life on their land.

I get your point, but that's really short sighted thinking. Unfortunately 500 plus year old trees don't grow back in a few years and the amount of old growth that's left is at a critical ecological point which is brought up in that second link.

There is also disagreement among First Nations people as well. The first link was based on an interview with Tahltan First Nation member and registered professional forester Garry Merkel. Merkel was a key part of the old-growth strategic review panel and "called for a paradigm shift in the way B.C. manages its old-growth forests, saying old forests have intrinsic value for all living things and should be managed for ecosystem health, not for timber." In regards to First Nations use of the land Merkel said "I’m dealing with this in my own community right now. It’s not that we don’t want to use land. The way the land is being used is the problem. It’s not being used right. Almost every First Nation I know … they’re just not happy with the way that the land is being used because they feel it’s just too harmful and destructive and it’s wrecking things. And they want to change that."

I think the government is trying to keep everyone happy and unfortunately in the process what little of the precious old growth asset we have left is getting destroyed.

May 27, 2021, 9:37 p.m.

https://www.cheknews.ca/port-alberni-mill-purchased-huge-log-seen-in-nanaimo-viral-photo-805743/

May 27, 2021, 9:39 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Maybe if you quit huffing the grease and oil fumes in the shop you'd be able to comprehend what was actually typed out instead of making stupid and false conclusions.

...and for the record, i wasnt responding to you as an individual, i was responding to the fallacy created by profit driven protest groups and their media shills.

May 27, 2021, 10:33 p.m.

...and for the record, i wasnt responding to you as an individual, i was responding to the fallacy created by profit driven protest groups and their media shills.

But that's just it, there were no fallacies in the linked articles. You chose to see something other that what was posted.

May 27, 2021, 10:52 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I think the government is trying to keep everyone happy and unfortunately in the process what little of the precious old growth asset we have left is getting destroyed.

Talk and log.