Old growth logging

Nov. 9, 2021, 9:50 p.m.

Based on that pic it looks like it happened on Pacific Marine Road which is paved and plenty wide in spots - including the one where the crash happened. Someone wasn't paying attention...

Nov. 10, 2021, 9:22 a.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Posted by: XXX_er

Don't the RCMP rule the road, just hit that siren when they see that loaded 7 axle coming at them ? I been hearing the cops don't call the road up on he morice where they have been dealing with the unistolten so an accident was just a matter of time eh

The morice is a 4 lane hiway these days. No one calls, just like the babine or granisle connector.

I found the morice was always good, 4000 out to morrison not very much but it was changable, i bet you don't miss doing  that ?

Those cops should have been issued radios should be calling or listening but they bring the RCMP in from all over to work an indigenous protest and my money is on some of them not knowing WTF was going on

Nov. 10, 2021, 12:15 p.m.

Seems like the story in the Times Columnist and others may not be accurate. The truck simply seems to have lost its load which happened to hit the police vehicles. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/8361740/logging-truck-load-rcmp-crash-vancouver-island/amp/

Nov. 10, 2021, 12:22 p.m.

Don't the RCMP rule the road, just hit that siren when they see that loaded 7 axle coming at them ? I been hearing the cops don't call the road up on he morice where they have been dealing with the unistolten so an accident was just a matter of time eh

The morice is a 4 lane hiway these days. No one calls, just like the babine or granisle connector.

I found the morice was always good, 4000 out to morrison not very much but it was changable, i bet you don't miss doing  that ?

Those cops should have been issued radios should be calling or listening but they bring the RCMP in from all over to work an indigenous protest and my money is on some of them not knowing WTF was going on

The Pacific Marine Road is a two lane public road.  Logging trucks don't call on it.

Nov. 10, 2021, 12:28 p.m.

Posted by: stickboy

The Pacific Marine Road is a two lane public road.  Logging trucks don't call on it.

Even on roads where they do call, on the island, they hardly ever use the RR channels that are publicly available, most outfits have their own haul road channels they'll use to call. 
I can count the number of roads that they do call on the RR channels on one hand.

Nov. 10, 2021, 1:19 p.m.

well sounds like those cops might have just plain fucked up

Tower communications in Houston takes care of the radios

huge chunks of the map up here have RR signs never see any other

the research center i did some work at would rented radio's as needed

I imagine the po-po rented radio's for the action against the Unistolten

whether they used or not is another question

Last edited by: XXX_er on Nov. 10, 2021, 1:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 14, 2021, 3:09 a.m.

On The Verge is great short doc (40min) that is beautiful to watch and weaves history and preservation of old growth forests with the development of climbing in the Eldred Valley north of Powell River. Only a few minutes into watching it and it's already clear that we've know we're wiping it all out for close to 40 yrs now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQdaDbA-wJI

Last edited by: syncro on Nov. 14, 2021, 3:41 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 14, 2021, 7:28 a.m.

They've known and a lot of the loggers on the ground could not give less of a fuck because they've never left they're home town to see what the rest of the world is like to get the perspective of what we actually have here.

Nov. 14, 2021, 8:40 p.m.

any RPF could have told you what was going on

Last edited by: XXX_er on Nov. 15, 2021, 8:46 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 15, 2021, 12:04 a.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

They've known and a lot of the loggers on the ground could not give less of a fuck because they've never left they're home town to see what the rest of the world is like to get the perspective of what we actually have here.

"their"

Dec. 5, 2021, 12:18 a.m.

https://youtu.be/vsAi5CK7F0A

Dec. 5, 2021, 1:05 a.m.

That looks like forest fire kill and if so it's not really relevant.

Jan. 7, 2022, 8:54 p.m.

+ A global study conducted by 98 researchers measuring over five million forest trees found that the largest 1% of trees equaled over 50% of total carbon containing biomass.

Jan. 21, 2022, 4:18 p.m.

In Nova Scotia, where I live, vital ecosystems have been under attack by extractive or exploitative industries for decades. We recently won a hard-fought battle to stop the development of a precious piece of land on the eastern shore of the province. Owl’s Head is a small, but biodiverse sanctuary that was slated for decimation to make way for a golf course. A deal was set in motion behind closed doors between the Liberal government at the time and a wealthy American couple who own land adjacent to the reserve. After massive public outcry, organising, protests and an election, the proposal was withdrawn.

Unlike most of Canada with its vast boreal range, Nova Scotia is primarily dominated by Acadian forests. These woodlands are home to endangered animals like moose, wood turtles, and pine martens. They are also coveted by forest industries for their pulp. Westfor, a billion-dollar consortium that represents the interests of 13 logging mills, has been responsible for a stepped-up effort at extracting and clearcutting on crown lands. These lands, that should belong first to the Indigenous Mi’kmaq and the people who live in these important and ever threatened places, have been intimidated by this influential and powerful company. Following centuries of colonial settler expropriation, they have carved up enormous sections of the province for the profit of a few and at the expense of rural communities and countless species, many of which are critically endangered.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/01/21/how-a-battle-for-a-piece-of-forest-in-nova-scotia-echoes-the-global-war-for-our-biosphere/

Feb. 14, 2022, 3:04 p.m.

I know the Tyee is a left leaning media outlet, but reading this it seems the author is trying to present a fairly balanced series of articles that takes a deep look at what the BC NDP is doing in terms of protecting old growth and responding to other environmental issues as well. This is the first in what is to be a three part series. 

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2022/02/14/BC-Government-Tapes-Old-Growth/