Feb. 20, 2011, 10:54 a.m.

it's best when you squeeze it fresh

2 grapefruit 1 orange juiced is dericious

Feb. 20, 2011, 11:21 a.m.

Fresh juiced at home for the win

Real juice lasts about 25 minutes before it looks and tastes lime crap

So clearly juice that can stay for 2 months is not ,well, juice

Feb. 20, 2011, 12:05 p.m.

used to make freshly squeezed oj at the grocery store when i was in high school. throw a box of juice oranges into the machine, and let it do its magic. that shit was legit.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 20, 2011, 12:44 p.m.

juice concentrates are pretty gross. It's made from the bottom of the barrel oranges and lots of rinds [HTML_REMOVED] oil. Tastes like crap

This is not true. The reason that they concentrate the oranges first is to reduce
shipping cost. It costs a lot less fuel to strip the water from the juice ship the
concentrate and then add the water later.

If you're buying from a store, buy the concentrate for two reasons. 1) less fuel
being used to ship 2) The NFC stuff is totally abused so it can sit on the shelf long
enough to sell.

If you want good juice, either go to Jamba juice (oh, sorry, only if you live in the
states and no need for a boost, you can get straight fresh-in-front-of-you-squeezed)
or find a place that will charge you $5+ for a glass of fresh squeezed or buy this
if you're lazy like my family was growing up, or
spend $10 and get one of these:

As far as taste, that depends on what kind of year the growers are having, who's
making the juice etc. Best bet is to buy a few different brands and blind taste
test them yourself and see what kind of orange juice you like best. I've had some
really bad fresh squeezed and some really good carton stuff (and vice-versa).

The problem I've found everywhere except California (where there's a Mexican
guy selling bags of oranges on half the street corners) is that it costs more to
buy oranges and squeeze your own than it does to buy the from concentrate stuff.
This of course is because it costs more to ship oranges than concentrate. Also
remember that for shippers to have a good product after shipping the fruit is usually
not quite ripe, kept that way by starving of O2 (I think they pump Nitrogen into
the holds) so that it can ripen as close to the store as possible. So, unless you live
in California your best OJ is most likely come from concentrate (they can and do
pick the oranges when they're ripe for concentrate).

…Now if you want to talk about canned pineapple, there's a bottom of the barrel
kind of product. I picked pineapples one summer during high school on Lana'i.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Feb. 20, 2011, 12:46 p.m.

it's best when you squeeze it fresh

2 grapefruit 1 orange juiced is dericious

Grapefruit is the most disgusting fruit I have ever tasted, you and every
one else that likes it is crazy. And no amount of sugar can fix it.

Feb. 20, 2011, 3:11 p.m.

This is not true. The reason that they concentrate the oranges first is to reduce
shipping cost. It costs a lot less fuel to strip the water from the juice ship the
concentrate and then add the water later.

For sure it's cheaper to ship concentrate.
I worked @ a juice plant years ago and have cracked open lotsa concentrate barrels. Shit is gross, and it's the stuff going into those tetrapaks of X juice from concentrate. Low-end orange [HTML_REMOVED] pineapple were the mankiest. Looks orange, smells kinda orangey but not sure what it tastes like. There might be different grades of concentrate but I haven't tried any that were too close to whatever fruit they were supposed to be from.

Feb. 20, 2011, 3:24 p.m.

For sure it's cheaper to ship concentrate.
I worked @ a juice plant years ago and have cracked open lotsa concentrate barrels. Shit is gross, and it's the stuff going into those tetrapaks of X juice from concentrate. Low-end orange [HTML_REMOVED] pineapple were the mankiest. Looks orange, smells kinda orangey but not sure what it tastes like. There might be different grades of concentrate but I haven't tried any that were too close to whatever fruit they were supposed to be from.

I don't doubt it looks and probably tastes like crap in concentrate (most likely sickly
sweet). I'm sure there's different grades of concentrate depending on application.
Basically we were picking two kinds of pineapple for canning. One was the medium size (think a little bigger than a can pineapple slices come in) and the other
were really small 3rd and forth year growth (the more years after the pine produces
a fruit…about 5 years for the first… a pineapple produces the smaller and more
tart the pineapples ). The latter were used for the juice that surrounds the slices
or pieces. The pineapples they sold whole were picked in different phases of
ripeness depending on where they were being sold.

As far as OJ, I'd venture a guess that the oranges they use for the good OJ are
from good oranges and the crappy concentrate is going into those crappy juice
boxes where they add sugar and such or where the OJ is just one of many ingredients
in a mix juice.

Maybe I'm just jaded against conspiracy theories right now after watching 5 episodes
of Jessy the body Ventura's conspiracy show (the captain d/l'd a whole season
so we were watching it all last week….ugh)

Feb. 20, 2011, 4:29 p.m.

why don't you try a glass of concentrated OJ and then try a glass of Tropicana and tell us

Feb. 20, 2011, 5:18 p.m.

why don't you try a glass of concentrated OJ and then try a glass of Tropicana and tell us

Holy fuck Billy that's fucking genius

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 20, 2011, 6:25 p.m.

Why was the blonde staring at the orange juice container?

Because it said 'concentrate'!

Feb. 21, 2011, 6:42 a.m.

Grapefruit is the most disgusting fruit I have ever tasted, you and every
one else that likes it is crazy. And no amount of sugar can fix it.

I thinkyou just need to burn out your taste buds a little more and quit using sugar ,if you don't use sugar you don't need it …your taste buds will adapt

Feb. 21, 2011, 7:14 a.m.

Grapefruit kicks ass, eat one almost every day, no sugar involved.

Feb. 21, 2011, 9:18 a.m.

Grapefruit kicks ass, eat one almost every day, no sugar involved.

I spent two years in military school when I was around 8 or so. They made me eat
grapefruit every day for the first week, until I threw up all over the table. They
stopped forcing me to eat grapefruit and I never threw up on their table again.
I get a gagging sensation if I eat something that has grapefruit or grapefruit juice
in the recipe. To me grapefruit tastes like bile. My dislike of grapefruit isn't like my
dislike of avocados (which taste OK, but the texture is like soft wax), it's a physical
revulsion that I didn't like when I was a kid (never allowed sugar as a kid), when
I was a young adult (rarely ate sugar), as a smoking adult (loved coke and pepsi), or
as a non-smoking adult.
The smell is worse tan coffee (another gagging food for me), and the taste is worse than vomit.
Until I have the opportunity/displeasure of eating Durian, it's the worse fruit I've
ever had.