Oh, Religion

June 28, 2013, 1:27 p.m.

It is not my view of "Christians", it comes directly from the laws within Christianity. Maybe that is not what a lot of them think, but that is what is said in sermons, and maybe they should confront their churches if their belief is so different from what they are taught.

So if I understand your point….

You have an opinion about what the "Christian laws" say that Christians should be thinking about you. And if Christians don't actually think that way, then well, they aren't following what you believe the "Christian laws" should be telling them to think of you.

June 28, 2013, 1:44 p.m.

So if I understand your point….

You have an opinion about what the "Christian laws" say that Christians should be thinking about you. And if Christians don't actually think that way, then well, they aren't following what you believe the "Christian laws" should be telling them to think of you.

Nope, here is the corrected version

You have a KNOWN AND EASILY VERIFIED FACT about what the "Christian laws" say that Christians should be thinking about you. And if Christians don't actually think that way, then well, they aren't following CHRISTIANITY.

And I have studies to back me up.

The second study recruited 105 UBC undergrads —they purposely targeted a more liberal sample from a less-religious nation — to test whether distrust of atheists is more pronounced than distrust of other groups, including Muslims. The students read a description of an untrustworthy man who pretended to leave insurance information after backing his car into a parked vehicle and were asked to say whether it was more likely the man was either a Christian, Muslim, rapist or an atheist. People were far more likely to say he was either an atheist or a rapist and not part of a religious group. They did not significantly differentiate atheists from rapists, something Mr. Gervais found disconcerting.

June 28, 2013, 2:28 p.m.

If you could kindly point out to me the definitive list of Christian Laws, that would be nice. I googled it, and didn't find the one that said that all christians must think that non-christans are without purpose.

And why do you keep bringing up this weird study about distrust of atheists? Relevance?

June 28, 2013, 2:39 p.m.

What in the fuck kind of "study" is that?

Is "rapist" a faith group now?

Here's a study for you….

Based on my observations on the NSMB NBR, not religious types are more judgemental and condescending than religious types.

Put that in yer pipe.

Pastor of Muppets

June 28, 2013, 2:42 p.m.

Public school.

no I think its a private school. They can set whatever policy they want.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 28, 2013, 2:43 p.m.

no I think its a private school. They can set whatever policy they want.

he was talking about his daughter's experience.

Reed closer like.

Pastor of Muppets

June 28, 2013, 3:14 p.m.

If you could kindly point out to me the definitive list of Christian Laws, that would be nice. I googled it, and didn't find the one that said that all christians must think that non-christans are without purpose.

And why do you keep bringing up this weird study about distrust of atheists? Relevance?

If I need to explain the relevance between a study that shows that most Christians do not believe that an atheist can be trustworthy and that they believe atheist lack purpose then you are not using any reason or trying to understand what I am saying.

Many Christians believe that atheists lack a moral compass because they think theirs comes from the fact God is watching their every move in a life long test to achieve salvation. If you don't believe me ask your Christian friends. SubPlop himself said that it is the man in the sky that gives his life meaning.

What the study showed was their bias against atheists because they can't understand how someone that is not trying to win the big game show of life hosted by Jesus could possibly be anything but hollow. I know, what's a UBC study compared to anecdotal evidence from Couch Surfer and tacklebox, but I tend to put stock in science. Call me crazy.

So far we have never elected an atheist premiere or prime minister other than Gilles Duceppe. There is a reason.

June 28, 2013, 3:18 p.m.

What in the fuck kind of "study" is that?

Is "rapist" a faith group now?

Here's a study for you….

Based on my observations on the NSMB NBR, not religious types are more judgemental and condescending than religious types.

Put that in yer pipe.

No, but neither are atheists. The point was that these people (Christians) believed that since atheists don't think God is watching they can get away with stuff. Frankly I think it says more about them than atheists.

June 28, 2013, 3:30 p.m.

Funny, I started out thinking I would just watch this shit show.

June 28, 2013, 4:13 p.m.

I tend to put stock in science. Call me crazy.

Is the new scientific method…
1: Read a study
2: Jump to a conclusion.

Let me see if I can walk through this silly study.

So in this study, I'm some religious type and I'm shown this film where some guy doesn't leave his insurance after an accident. Then I'm given a multiple choice and told to pick if this guy is:
- christian
- muslim
- atheist
- rapist

So I would clearly self-identify with the two religious types. Then I'd think, well just cause he didn't leave his insurance doesn't mean that he's a rapist, that's pretty crazy… so I guess process of elimination is Atheist? About that point I start laughing at first and second year psychology studies pretending to be hard science.

June 28, 2013, 4:14 p.m.

Funny, I started out thinking I would just watch this shit show.

Yeah same. How does that happen? I'm going for a beer.

June 28, 2013, 5:12 p.m.

Many Christians believe that atheists lack a moral compass because they think theirs comes from the fact God is watching their every move in a life long test to achieve salvation.

So far we have never elected an atheist premiere or prime minister other than Gilles Duceppe. There is a reason.

What I've come to realize, is that morals, good and bad, can be defined by anyone, with or without religion. Even Synchro has the signature something along the lines of " everything you do in life has consequence" and that's coming from Mark. Consequence for some, is Karma. That's a pretty familiar term in biking, help someone on the trail, that's bike karma and the good side of that will be returned to you. What I'm getting at with this, is I hope most Christians don't feel a need to view atheists as lacking morals, just because they aren't of faith. A lot of morals are taught at a young age through parents, and school hopefully. Which is why Private schools need to do their part, which is funny because this thread originally was started by a Private school problem, and when I put my kids, or maybe never, through school, I'll be at the meetings, get my 2cents in.

Sometimes I wonder 'bout the faith in the ones who we elect, is that just an image they put on to get more votes? Maybe their decisions aren't always strictly the individuals decision (Harper), but their party their with. That's government for you though, easy to judge, yet we can't change a thing

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

June 28, 2013, 5:31 p.m.

A Gooch PSA,

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=29295

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 28, 2013, 7:03 p.m.

In Beer I Trust. // did the last backwards…

1) Drinking and driving kills thousands of people every year. MADD.
2) Go ahead, have Gay sex, we won't Judge you, only God can judge, is that scary? Trick or treat.
3) I'd fight for Canada, I'd go to war for my faith as well.
4))Minors drink all the time, but let alcohol influence their decisions, that's a positive thing for sure.
5)Christians don't knock on doors. Jehovah Witness knock on doors and they don't believe in Jesus, at all.
6)Some people die for their faith, would you die for a beer?
7)Jesus second coming will be worth the wait, I can have a drink for that.
8 )Religion is a lie? Following the bible is far from a lie, yet people with faith will do wrong. We're all sinners.
9)A beer in your hands is proof. God won't put that beer in your hands, I have FAITH in that, but hard evidence is so much easier to believe.
10)If I devote my whole life to faith, there are groups that will encourage me to stop.

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity