Oh, Religion

June 27, 2013, 12:59 p.m.

reading this thread makes me really glad I have nothing to do with religion anymore. Thanks for reinforcing my decision Sub…the bible was written to control people…'guided by the holy spirit'? yeah, totally.

June 27, 2013, 1:02 p.m.

That seems like a big assumption on your part.

Really? Is it that big of an assumption considering Christianity is pretty clear that faith is 100% required. No faith, no salvation, no heaven, no purpose. He wrote his post in such a way to leave the door open that atheists could also have a purpose, but I can't see how anyone can truly be Christian and believe this. It runs counter to the basic tenants of the religion.

June 27, 2013, 1:05 p.m.

reading this thread makes me really glad I have nothing to do with religion anymore. Thanks for reinforcing my decision Sub…the bible was written to control people…'guided by the holy spirit'? yeah, totally.

That's true, there is some control. Feel free to run around doing whatever the "hell" you please

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

June 27, 2013, 1:11 p.m.

Really? Is it that big of an assumption considering Christianity is pretty clear that faith is 100% required. No faith, no salvation, no heaven, no purpose. He wrote his post in such a way to leave the door open that atheists could also have a purpose, but I can't see how anyone can truly be Christian and believe this. It runs counter to the basic tenants of the religion.

When Jesus died on the cross, he was next to a sinner, who had no faith his whole life. The man reached to Jesus before he died, and Jesus said he would be accepted into heaven. Meaning of that, I think even without claiming yourself as a christian, or going to church, if you do live a good life and respect others as you would want to be treated and so forth, there's a place for you in heaven. Just recently our church, Christian reformed, put baptism on the back back burner a little bit, meaning, even if your not baptized, God can still figure out what your doing with your life. Hope that made sense.

It's not so Black and White as past generations have made it out to be. God's in the details, and a biking community minus a lot grumpy people is a great community which Im happy to be a part of.

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

June 27, 2013, 1:13 p.m.

It's funny you say that, because the old testament was a little harsher on women's role in the church. For what reason? Well, the bible was written by individuals, guided by the holy spirit, yet, possibly twisted a little by, who knows, don't know that.

Fast forward to the present, we got women in high positions in our church, guest woman preachers, complete equals. Even sounds weird saying that.

You seem like a progressive person that doesn't take the bible literally or believe it is the word of god directly and I can appreciate that. I really didn't take you to be a hard line southern baptist.

I am not actually anti-religion. I don't believe in it, but other people can believe what they want and let's face it, the subject of god is not something either one of us can provide hard evidence on. The only thing I take exception with is the divisive nature of some of the teachings, and sorry, but Christianity is loaded with them. That is not to say you are a bigot, or anything less than kind to other people, but there is sanctuary for those that are within the teachings. IMO, too much importance is placed in the bible.

June 27, 2013, 1:21 p.m.

I wonder whether you confuse Christianity with Catholicism or some even more evangelical viewpoint.

My wife's parents are Christians, I'm not, nor is their daughter. But I can say with certainty that they don't believe that her or I do not have a purpose.

June 27, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

My wife's parents are Christians, I'm not, nor is their daughter. But I can say with certainty that they don't believe that her or I do not have a purpose.

don't want to pipe in on what everyone is saying here, but that's well said and can be said for anyone and everyone

June 27, 2013, 1:48 p.m.

Using religion as a reason is just plain wrong. If they said up to a certain point boys and girls can play the same sports together after which it it gets segregated is more appropriate. I actually had a insurance claim (coverage denied)where a 16 year old girl still wanted to wrestle with the boys. The association was looking for the Insurer to fund a defence but there was no accident to cover. They had made a policy decision to keep boys and girls wrestling separate and the court in Saskatchewan agreed.

The young lady looks like shes as big as or bigger than the other boys but that will change soon. She's grown a chest too so it is entirely within the realm of possibility that the other boys will be copping a feel as soon as they make contact. So to a certain extent the "lustful thinking" argument has merit. The mother has unrealistic expectations if she actually thinks her daughter could get a football scholarship to play men's football at college unless there is also women's football.

And what about in the dressing room? They will have to make a special arrangement for her for that when they change although that is an easy thing to change in the women's restroom. But then she has to come back in for the coaches prep.

No there is an age at which the genders have to compete separately in some sports. I don't know what that age is but you can't decide on a case to case basis because things get abused.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 27, 2013, 6:39 p.m.

good to see some respect and tolerance

June 27, 2013, 7:16 p.m.

Using religion as a reason is just plain wrong. If they said up to a certain point boys and girls can play the same sports together after which it it gets segregated is more appropriate. I actually had a insurance claim (coverage denied)where a 16 year old girl still wanted to wrestle with the boys. The association was looking for the Insurer to fund a defence but there was no accident to cover. They had made a policy decision to keep boys and girls wrestling separate and the court in Saskatchewan agreed.

The young lady looks like shes as big as or bigger than the other boys but that will change soon. She's grown a chest too so it is entirely within the realm of possibility that the other boys will be copping a feel as soon as they make contact. So to a certain extent the "lustful thinking" argument has merit. The mother has unrealistic expectations if she actually thinks her daughter could get a football scholarship to play men's football at college unless there is also women's football.

And what about in the dressing room? They will have to make a special arrangement for her for that when they change although that is an easy thing to change in the women's restroom. But then she has to come back in for the coaches prep.

No there is an age at which the genders have to compete separately in some sports. I don't know what that age is but you can't decide on a case to case basis because things get abused.

I see these as the biggest issues. When I was in middle school, I didn't know a single guy who would not have jumped at a chance to feel a pair of tits. It WILL happen.

Second, the dressing room is probably a killer. My high school had 1 home, 1 away dressing room for football (separate from the regular changing rooms to keep mud and grass away from the gymnasium floor, other than the shared showers). What is the girl supposed to do before games? Changing is when we had our pre-game meetings, or at least got them started. There may be somewhere for her to change for practice that is separate, but during games?? I doubt it.

Third, it may very well be an unfair advantage for the tam in question. My basketball coach in grade 10 also coached a college women's team, so we had a few pre-season games against them (turns out college women are about equal to 15 year old boys in sports). No one played near as aggressive against the women. You just aren't going to find many guys who are comfortable playing as physical against women as men. I had no problem breaking a guy's nose when he played defense too close to me, or bowling through a chick who had the lady-balls to take a charge in front of the hoop. And that is basketball. The whole point of football is to hit people, and any self respecting guy will not feel comfortable kicking the living shit out of a girl the way he would another guy.

Finally, there are not college women's football teams. Maybe if enough girls start playing to the point that there are leagues for younger girls it could happen at some time down the road, but at this point it just won't happen. This isn't going anywhere, despite what her "dream" is.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

June 28, 2013, 1:22 a.m.

good to see some respect and tolerance

To be fair… They're totally wrong about me. I do everything I can to have as little purpose as possible.

:D

June 28, 2013, 6:29 a.m.

^^^ just never lose sight of the inheritance..

June 28, 2013, 9:05 a.m.

I wonder whether you confuse Christianity with Catholicism or some even more evangelical viewpoint.

Christianity is all of those things. It is the umbrella term for all of the faiths that believe Jesus was divine and the son of god. They all believe he died for man's salvation. They tend to disagree on the terms of salvation but they all believe in it. Many Christians take their own views rather than the official view of their church (especially Catholics… no birth control, ya right) but salvation is still an important part of the faith none the less. The evangelicals are just more devout.

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

June 28, 2013, 11:55 a.m.

Christianity is all of those things. It is the umbrella term for all of the faiths that believe Jesus was divine and the son of god. They all believe he died for man's salvation. They tend to disagree on the terms of salvation but they all believe in it. Many Christians take their own views rather than the official view of their church (especially Catholics… no birth control, ya right) but salvation is still an important part of the faith none the less. The evangelicals are just more devout.

Yes. But it's your view of Christians that makes you think that they don't see people outside of the faith having purpose.

That's your assumption, and I don't think it's a good one.

June 28, 2013, 12:59 p.m.

Yes. But it's you're view of Christians that makes you think that they don't see people outside of the faith having purpose.

That's your assumption, and I don't think it's a good one.

It is not my view of "Christians", it comes directly from the laws within Christianity. Maybe that is not what a lot of them think, but that is what is said in sermons, and maybe they should confront their churches if their belief is so different from what they are taught.

I know what you mean. I know a lot of Christians and I doubt any of them think I am wasting my days as I await eternity in hellfire just because I don't believe or pray, but they really are ignoring a basic part of their belief system in doing so. I also am not so sure people like my friends make up the majority. UBC recently did a study where they found religious people trust atheists just slightly more than rapists. High praise.

Until Christianity changes what they believe it is incompatible with atheism. Maybe my assumption is not a good one, but for the time being it is a wise one.