Oh harper..

Feb. 13, 2014, 3:44 p.m.

Not really reported is that the Immigrant Investment Program has already been suspended for some time…so how is this going to impact property values?
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/canada-immigrant-investor-moratorium-helping-u-attract-rich-194853884.html

Couple that with reports that foreign money only accounts for 3-4% of purchases…

I mean, ya, there goes property values…just not because of this.

Feb. 13, 2014, 4:13 p.m.

Surprised nobody's brought up Harper's fantastic (un)fair elections act yet …

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 13, 2014, 4:47 p.m.

Couple that with reports that foreign money only accounts for 3-4% of purchases…

Do you have a link to those reports? Or a title? I'd like to read them.

Feb. 13, 2014, 5:21 p.m.

On the topic of Oh Whoa are the Conservatives. Who's going to see Justin Trudeau this weekend in North Vancouver?

http://events.liberal.ca/Event/founding-meeting-in-north-vancouver.aspx?Lang=en[HTML_REMOVED]mi=A

Feb. 13, 2014, 5:29 p.m.

Not really reported is that the Immigrant Investment Program has already been suspended for some time…so how is this going to impact property values?
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/canada-immigrant-investor-moratorium-helping-u-attract-rich-194853884.html

I mean, ya, there goes property values…just not because of this.

They suspended it because of the backlog of 48000 applications. They probably threw those applications out now to appease their voters.

I just hope Harper hasn't pissed away the 800000 any of the current immigrants have put in his safe keeping.

I wouldn't want to be a vancouver homebuilder in the near future.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 13, 2014, 6:55 p.m.

Surprised nobody's brought up Harper's fantastic (un)fair elections act yet …

ugh, everytime I hear skippy (Pierre Poutine) talk, I want to go homicidal….fuck those fucks and their fucking shady double speak, seriously, how can anyone take these guys seriously? Just saw this one too, 11.5 million on, you guessed it, more ADVERTISING!!!! This time on 'pot is bad, mmmmkay'….

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/12/20/rona-ambrose-pot-legalization_n_4479669.html

Feb. 14, 2014, 8:41 a.m.

So here we are, roughly a dozen people or whatever, supremely pissed off about this government. What are we going to do about it? I mean, bitching on the Internet is fun and all…

Feb. 14, 2014, 9:10 a.m.

Well, I could join http://leadnow.ca/ and contribute to the cause …

I could sign some key petitions … http://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/stop-us-style-voter-suppression-from-becoming-law-in-canada

And, just plain NOT vote con. Although, unfortunately, N Van tends to vote con. Our current MP is the model of a Harper lap dog/barking seal, and he'll probably be re-elected in 2015. Yes, Andrew Saxton, MP, you're a complete piece of shit whose pre-political activities include helping wealthy individuals hide income for avoidance of income tax.

Other than buying a sniper rifle what would you have us do?

Feb. 14, 2014, 10:28 a.m.

I believe actively educating friends and family about the shady bullshit of the cons is as important as anything, shine a light on their misdeeds and eventually people will see what's up, even my generally conservative parents have come around in the past year to how much bullshit Harper and his lapdogs sling all over the country, people are waking up, and generally Canadians don't like being played, regardless of political leanings. I'm cautiously optimistic that Harper will get Kim Campbell'd in the next election.

Feb. 14, 2014, 11:40 a.m.

Other than buying a sniper rifle what would you have us do?

What I'd like to figure out is the best way to institute some kind of proportional representation/transferable vote system. I don't think any politician currently in power is far-sighted enough to implement this, though.

Feb. 14, 2014, 11:50 a.m.

^^^

Oh, don't get me started. Ah, too late!

When BC held the referendum on implementing STV a few years back, I voted for the new system. The proposed system wasn't perfect, but good enough for me to vote yes, let's try it and tweak it later to make it better.

I was so disappointed when it was voted down. I think the voters were left ignorant of the benefits of the system - I blame voters for failing to do some basic research, AND the gov't for failing to push out a lot more education on how it works, how it benefits the voting public.

With a proportional/STV system federally, Cons would have much closer to the 30% of seats that they honestly should have, and centrist-/left-leaning parties would hold power, truly reflecting Canadian values.

Feb. 14, 2014, 5:12 p.m.

Friend of a friend of a friend?

Gotchya.

Feb. 14, 2014, 11:04 p.m.

So here we are, roughly a dozen people or whatever, supremely pissed off about this government. What are we going to do about it? I mean, bitching on the Internet is fun and all…

You could sit on your butt, or you could actually contact your MP here and let them know what you're upset about.

Your email won't mean squat to them, but they pay attention to the numbers.

If you want to really annoy them, use snail mail!

Feb. 15, 2014, 10:31 a.m.

I wouldn't want to be a vancouver homebuilder in the near future.

The overheated market (if it is), compared with some of the garbage construction I've seen on my last few trips to the lower mainland makes me think that some of the Vancouver homebuilders need to go. I don't know anyone building in Vancouver however, is it tough booking builds these days?

I say this as an apprentice carpenter who wants to see every good builder with as much work as they can handle, and every crappy builder serving me coffee instead of slapping together shitboxes.

Feb. 17, 2014, 2:49 p.m.

Friend of a friend of a friend?

Gotchya.

Ya. Fair enough. I saw a good article the other day but I haven't found it yet. There doesn't seem to be great research into the subject. But it seems like people are willing to blindly accept the narrative that China is buying up Vancouver.

Landcor seems to have the most detailed stats on this, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. This Tyee article quotes Landcor (2010 stats) at:
2545 foreign owners from around North America
977 owners from Asia
527 owners from Europe

Those are not big numbers. And then you have the US more than doubling the number of buyers from Asia…why no stories about Vancouver being overrun by Americans?

http://thetyee.ca/News/2012/03/15/Vancouver-Foreign-Ownership/

Oh, but of course, that's 2010. It's all happened since then, right?