offshore training and work in canada

Oct. 28, 2013, 3:39 p.m.

So I have kicked around here for a while now, it might be time to sit on a real job for a while. Got an opportunity on a vessel refit out of newf. What im looking for though is local training organisations that can offer me a BST refresher course. my international BOSIET still needs the 2 day BST refresher to be valid for Canadian offshore work.

google told me not a lot so if anyone knows of any training places in Vancouver, even slight details might help me so if anyone has anything id be most grateful…

Oh and time sort of is of the essence as the job is meant to start in 3 weeks…

Thanks in advance!

Oct. 28, 2013, 4:05 p.m.

Secunda?

Looks like BCIT has a BST course at the beginning of November
http://www.bcit.ca/files/transportation/pdf/marine/marinecourseschedule.pdf

Oct. 28, 2013, 6 p.m.

thanks for the heads up, ive contacted BCIT hopefully they just do the refresher 2 day course as well.

Oct. 28, 2013, 9:22 p.m.

I alway thought that Bosiet and the refresher was only done in NS. Good to know BCIT does it, but is it only part of the Maritime diploma program, or separate? I did my Falck offshore in Aberdeen for the UK and Norway sector. My company sent me back there for the refresher! On a side note, it did a fair amount of work rotations on production platforms off of Angola/Cabinda. No safety training required there, none! Here's your life vest, watch the video in the dispatch area, good to go LOL! I'm so glad I have a warm shop job in Vancouver now. (Money was good though).

FYI working out of Angola is very good, camp life is decent. If you are in the industry, and are willing to do 28/28 rotation, the money they make there is amazing. I was just a contractor, but those regulars were very well off, and no 15 hour days like northern Alberta. 4 year limit for expat workers, so there are alway a lot of jobs for dozens of oil/gas support companies.

Oct. 29, 2013, 9:53 p.m.

I don't think BCIT does the BOSIET training, no offshore work on this coast (how awesome would that be). I've finished 3 years of the diploma program for the deck side, and I haven't seen anything that would indicate them setting us up for working offshore (super unfortunate)

Oct. 29, 2013, 9:59 p.m.

I have never heard of a facility in BC that does BOSIET training, that would all be in St. John's or somewhere nearby.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Oct. 30, 2013, 8:20 a.m.

BOSIET dosent seem to be required in this country anyway. everyone is all about this BST thing…

which i could do at BCIT if it wasnt booked out… so that means i cant do it anywhere on this coast in the required timeframe…

Oct. 30, 2013, 8:54 a.m.

Not sure if this will be of much help, but you can do the first day online then only need to be Here in NS for 1 dy for the practical.

http://www.sstl.com/details.asp?ID=281[HTML_REMOVED]CategoryID=33

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oct. 30, 2013, 9:02 a.m.

Not sure if this will be of much help, but you can do the first day online then only need to be Here in NS for 1 dy for the practical.

http://www.sstl.com/details.asp?ID=281[HTML_REMOVED]CategoryID=33

That sounds pretty darn helpful…

Oct. 30, 2013, 10:48 a.m.

yes quite helpful indeed! thanks. not sure if i will go ahead with the job anymore but deffinatly good to know.