Official Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Sept. 19, 2011, 5:43 p.m.

As long as there is no north american professional league, Canada and the US will continue to be tier 2 teams. The players on the tier 1 teams are playing or practicing 6 days a week for up to 8 months of the year and training at the gym. Most of our guys come from premier division teams which play once a week and practice 2x. They are the standouts in a beer league by professional standards.

Sept. 19, 2011, 10:40 p.m.

Wales - Samoa was pretty exciting at the finish. Skinny little Welsh guys got lots of balls.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 20, 2011, 5:59 a.m.

As long as there is no north american professional league, Canada and the US will continue to be tier 2 teams. The players on the tier 1 teams are playing or practicing 6 days a week for up to 8 months of the year and training at the gym. Most of our guys come from premier division teams which play once a week and practice 2x. They are the standouts in a beer league by professional standards.

i wouldn't say that. most of our guys play international squads and come back to canada to play for us - some don't come back to play for us. half that french squad are also teammates in another league. :lol:

Sept. 20, 2011, 10:02 a.m.

i wouldn't say that. most of our guys play international squads and come back to canada to play for us - some don't come back to play for us. half that french squad are also teammates in another league. :lol:

About a half dozen or so of the Team Canada play professional rugby at some level in Europe (UK: Carpenter,Hotson,Mackenzie, Pritchard, Sinclair, Van Der Merwe - France:Cudmore - Ireland: O'Toole). Kleeberger has played professionally in Australia and New Zealand, but currently plays in BC. Riordan has also played professionally in New Zealand and the UK. None of them, however, are standouts at the highest levels of professional rugby union.

Sept. 21, 2011, 11:19 a.m.

Sept. 21, 2011, 9:57 p.m.

Still not very good at the internet eh Rob?

Sept. 21, 2011, 10:21 p.m.

Canada needs a win over Japan. Should be a exciting.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 22, 2011, 8:20 a.m.

Wales - Samoa was pretty exciting at the finish. Skinny little Welsh guys got lots of balls.

:lol: you don't often hear welsh people, esp rugby players, referred to as skinny little guys.

italy scored their bonus point in 22 mins. hopefully by the time they play Ireland the irish won't care and they sneak second place, assuming they don't fluff USA.

they should do the bonus point in footy world cup too. there's a lot footy could learn from rugby.

Sept. 22, 2011, 10:01 a.m.

Wales had one guy in the back that wasn't big and he'd take anything shoved downfield by the opposition and plow directly back into them. Never passed the ball. Big cajones on that guy.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Sept. 24, 2011, 8:23 a.m.

I will bet anyone $100 that the USA will win every single 7's game they enter in about ten years.

Also, if anyone wants to have a go at rugby, or play for a new team, feel free to let me know!
www.burnabylakerugby.com

yo

Sept. 24, 2011, 11:16 a.m.

French where at it again, flailing around like a bunch of soccer players.

I cant believe the ref awarded them that try at the end, Guess the French feel they need to cheat to score points against the All Blacks. Im glad the Kiwis ended it with their own constructed try.

Quarter finals are almost set already. Thanks to the Irish, Australia and South Africa will play in the quarters, Looks like NZ vs. Scotland/Argentina, England vs. France,and Ireland vs. Wales.

Sept. 24, 2011, 8:32 p.m.

The Fijian players don't seem to be on the same page against Samoa. God these guys are tough. Samoan player gets knocked out [HTML_REMOVED] returns after a few minutes.

Thread killer

Sept. 25, 2011, 3:51 a.m.

One of the local bars will be showing Japan vs. Canada tomorrow at noon. I'm def. gonna go watch.

www.natooke.com

Sept. 25, 2011, 5:13 a.m.

lol Scotland

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Sept. 26, 2011, 11:32 a.m.

So Argentinia beat Scotland eh? Man, I'm going to enjoy watching England squash Scotland next weekend… Good luck to the Canadians playing tonight. Does it get played on regular TSN as it's the Canadians playing does anyone know?