Official Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Sept. 16, 2011, 3:08 p.m.

So I have a question.

Watching some of the games, for instance Japan getting slaughtered by the All-Blacks, the commentators continue to heap praise on the losing team. Good effort, positive things they are doing, etc. Negative comments are few and far between, unlike say, typical football (soccer) commentary.

Is this the Rugby Way, or just the particular Kiwi commentators they are using?

It's all so…civilized.

Rugby is a fringe sport in most countries, except for the British Isles, France, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. All these countries field powerful professional teams made up of (relatively) well-paid professional athletes. Rugby also has a cult following in a few tiny Pacific nations, with virtually no population base to speak of.

Most (but not all) of the other teams have a sprinkling of few journeymen professionals (playing in aforementioned power nations). For example, one of my work-mates is teammates (on a team in Burnaby) with 2 members of the Canadian team now in New Zealand.

There is a respect accorded to these minnows who persevere to punch above their weight, and there are occasional upsets. In the 1991 RWC, Canada stunned the superpowers of rugby by holding France to just 19 points in France and losing to New Zealand 29-13 in a tough-fought battle.

This is in contrast to, say hockey, where any team outside the big 6 (or North America if you are Don Cherry), is treated with derision …

Sept. 16, 2011, 4:29 p.m.

canada's jersey has about the same amount of black and red. why aren't you ragging on them? chicken.

Nope not Chicken. Canadians have red sections with white piping.

Essentially not an "All Black" kit.

I also don't like the English. Really happy to see Wilkinson couldn't kick a goal if his life depended on it.

Now don't get me started on the Cheating South Africans.

Sept. 16, 2011, 5:32 p.m.

Nope not Chicken. Canadians have red sections with white piping.

Essentially not an "All Black" kit.

I also don't like the English. Really happy to see Wilkinson couldn't kick a goal if his life depended on it.

Now don't get me started on the Cheating South Africans.

Everyone's a big man behind a computer screen. Any particular reason you don't like the English or are you just miserable because NZ hasn't won the Cup in quite a while?

Sept. 16, 2011, 9:25 p.m.

Everyone's a big man behind a computer screen. Any particular reason you don't like the English or are you just miserable because NZ hasn't won the Cup in quite a while?

You hit the nail right on the head.

I always win internet fights

Sept. 16, 2011, 9:33 p.m.

romania is getting destroyed

Sept. 16, 2011, 10:04 p.m.

You hit the nail right on the head.

I always win internet fights

Funny guy.

Lots of pressure on the home nation. It's gonna be amusing now to watch your beloved Kiwis choke

Sept. 16, 2011, 11:08 p.m.

One day at the gym I think the Ireland Rugby team was in town for a friendly with team Canada.

FUCK those guys are big. They are the epitome of athleticism IMO. They also stunk.

Sept. 16, 2011, 11:25 p.m.

Boks are having trouble scoring points these first two matches. not enough drop kicks I guess,

Lets go Fiji keep on steamrolling those SAFers

Sept. 17, 2011, 12:57 a.m.

lol fiji?

Check my stuff for sale!

Sept. 17, 2011, 2:26 a.m.

Agreed. Prior to the tournament, I could have called anybody, with the possible exception of Nambia, to win the SA/WALES/FIJ/SAMOA/NAMIBIA group. That's going to be the most exciting group, for sure.

SA and Wales would have to be favourites.

Just watched the repeat of the Fiji/SA game. SA stepping it up a notch, and playing some good defense.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 17, 2011, 2:50 a.m.

Shiet, to be sitting here with two irish mates really sucks when we are down by 3 points haha.

In relation to the minnows playing in the cup, I think its great and I really wish they had more of a chance. I love seeing the smaller teams in there having a dig!!

Sept. 17, 2011, 7:24 a.m.

Awesome performance from Ireland last night.

Hey Darryl…

Sept. 17, 2011, 11:29 a.m.

Ireland and Wales are proving they are not pushovers. Seems to be more parity between the Six Nations and the Southern Hemisphere this year.

Let's see what Canada can do tonight against France. They are dressing the same team that played Tonga, a vote of confidence in the lineup by Kieran Crowley. Hopefully Pat Riordan will be 100% healthy.

Sept. 17, 2011, 11:32 a.m.

Awesome performance from Ireland last night.

Hey Darryl…

about as good as the english jerseys, falling apart before anyone sees them.

guess I spoke too soon about the SAFers

Sept. 17, 2011, 6:49 p.m.

Man this is some entertaining shit. Always try and soak up rugby action when its televised.