Official Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Sept. 14, 2011, 8:27 p.m.

that looks like davem after blowing himself off the toilet while grunting one out and doing a faceplant into the doorknob.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 14, 2011, 8:54 p.m.

I remember playing in high school. watching this tourny so far has brought back some of those memories. what an exciting battle for canada to win. i just cant believe how big and fast some of those guys are.

Sept. 14, 2011, 9:37 p.m.

One of the commentaters said something about Kleeberger being 27 years old, but parts of his beard are at least a year older than that!! Made me lol. Loved watching the game, I played a few times for pocomo back in the day but didn't stick with it. Far too crazy/dangerous for me. Only throwing myself down a mountain on wheels for me!

Sept. 14, 2011, 10:12 p.m.

It's just a change kit for matches when colours clash. They'll mostly be playing in the usual white. NZ has sported a white change kit in the past

Not my point. Englands colours are white with red. NZ is ALL Black

brits usually wear a red alt. kit

Like if sweeden decided to show up at the olympics wearing Red and white hockey jerseys

bunch of wannabie wankers

Sept. 14, 2011, 10:43 p.m.

Last time New Zealand won was 1987. Loved the effort and heart by the Canadian boys, some sweet facial hair on that team. Cudmore is a monster, glad to see some success for the boys after some lackluster performances in the last few tourneys.

Shed head!

Sept. 15, 2011, 8:28 a.m.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sTyKA_XHV0F3RqQLSPe70eg/view.m?id=15[HTML_REMOVED]gid=sport/2011/sep/15/mike-tindall-dwarf-throwing[HTML_REMOVED]cat=sport England keep it classy….

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Sept. 15, 2011, 9:56 a.m.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sTyKA_XHV0F3RqQLSPe70eg/view.m?id=15[HTML_REMOVED]gid=sport/2011/sep/15/mike-tindall-dwarf-throwing[HTML_REMOVED]cat=sport England keep it classy….

The Sun has alleged that Tindall was seen flirting with "a gorgeous blonde" while enjoying a "dwarf-throwing contest" …

Which one did he try to hit on?

Sept. 15, 2011, 9:12 p.m.

brits usually wear a red alt. kit

Like if sweeden decided to show up at the olympics wearing Red and white hockey jerseys

bunch of wannabie wankers

Wannabie wankers? Come on, don't turn this into a thread about hating England. All of the Kiwis that I have ever met (and yes I spent some time down there) were much better than that. Take it as a compliment, after all imitation is the highest form of flattery. Don't be so uptight

Sept. 15, 2011, 10:09 p.m.

Lol awesome.

I wonder why the NBR safety patrol isn't crying foul though. Or is it ok because it's rugby? kinda like bmx right? ;)

www.natooke.com

Sept. 16, 2011, 8:12 a.m.

italy almost scored a try! that's my highlight so far.

canada's jersey has about the same amount of black and red. why aren't you ragging on them? chicken.

Sept. 16, 2011, 12:33 p.m.

Not gonna lie, I think Canada's pool is the toughest by a fair margin. Australia-Ireland tonight should be a good game…

Sept. 16, 2011, 12:35 p.m.

GO IRELAND! Except against Canada.

WTF, Over?

Sept. 16, 2011, 1:59 p.m.

Not gonna lie, I think Canada's pool is the toughest by a fair margin. Australia-Ireland tonight should be a good game…

Depends on what you mean by toughest pool - each game will be tougher because for Canada, there is no "weak team"; or it is tougher for the top two teams to advance?

If the former, yes, our pool is the toughest, but only because we are essentially the "weak team" therein. Tonga, France and NZ are all ranked above Canada, and Japan won the last two tests by a large margin (something like 90+ to around 20 in two games).

If the latter, I believe the SA/WALES/FIJ/SAMOA/NAMIBIA is a much harder pool - it's also been labelled the "Pool of Death" by the pundits. Any of the top four in there (less Namibia) could have been picked to win that pool heading in (current outcomes notwithstanding). The pool Canada's in will essentially be won by NZ, barring another choke vs. France. France should finish second, again if they don't choke against Canada or Tonga. Japan ran them close, which will likely motivate them for the match Saturday night. Canada's pool only seems the toughest because of our predicament - likely fighting it out to finish 3rd and automaticallay qualify for 2015.

The pool of death is tougher IMHO, because instead of 3 teams essentially playing for third place, there are 4 playing for spots 1 and 2.

Man I would love to see us put a hurting on the Frogs. The boys will have a massive NZ crowd behind them too - noone is less like in NZ rugby than France, except maybe the Aussies.

Sept. 16, 2011, 2:25 p.m.

So I have a question.

Watching some of the games, for instance Japan getting slaughtered by the All-Blacks, the commentators continue to heap praise on the losing team. Good effort, positive things they are doing, good technique, etc. Negative comments are few and far between, unlike say, typical football (soccer) commentary.

Is this the Rugby Way, or just the particular Kiwi commentators they are using?

It's all so…civilized.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 16, 2011, 3 p.m.

Depends on what you mean by toughest pool - each game will be tougher because for Canada, there is no "weak team"; or it is tougher for the top two teams to advance?

If the former, yes, our pool is the toughest, but only because we are essentially the "weak team" therein. Tonga, France and NZ are all ranked above Canada, and Japan won the last two tests by a large margin (something like 90+ to around 20 in two games).

If the latter, I believe the SA/WALES/FIJ/SAMOA/NAMIBIA is a much harder pool - it's also been labelled the "Pool of Death" by the pundits. Any of the top four in there (less Namibia) could have been picked to win that pool heading in (current outcomes notwithstanding). The pool Canada's in will essentially be won by NZ, barring another choke vs. France. France should finish second, again if they don't choke against Canada or Tonga. Japan ran them close, which will likely motivate them for the match Saturday night. Canada's pool only seems the toughest because of our predicament - likely fighting it out to finish 3rd and automaticallay qualify for 2015.

The pool of death is tougher IMHO, because instead of 3 teams essentially playing for third place, there are 4 playing for spots 1 and 2.

Man I would love to see us put a hurting on the Frogs. The boys will have a massive NZ crowd behind them too - noone is less like in NZ rugby than France, except maybe the Aussies.

Agreed. Prior to the tournament, I could have called anybody, with the possible exception of Nambia, to win the SA/WALES/FIJ/SAMOA/NAMIBIA group. That's going to be the most exciting group, for sure.

And yep. Rugby, as a rule, is way more civilised. In the UK, you couldn't possibly seat fans from opposing sides together in the same ground for a soccer game. No problem in Rugby. I've often been at games and endured good natured heckling from opposition fans sat in the row in front of me. It's part of the experience. What is the saying? "Rugby is gentlemen acting like hooligans, and football is hooligans acting like hooligans?" At university, both the soccer and Rugby teams were well known for getting a little out of hand at end of season formals. The difference was, the morning after, the entire Rugby team would show up, hungover as hell, and apologise and help clean up. The soccer team on the other hand would deny all responsibility and consequently ended up being banned from using university facilities for social functions.

The latest scandal with the England side is awesome. In soccer, you get sex scandals, drug scandals, and players generally behaving like massive entitled douchebags. Mike Tindall? No. He was drunk at a midget throwing contest. A. Midget. Throwing. Contest. I kid you not…

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/sep/15/dwarf-throwing-england-rugby

(OK, so there was a sex scandal in 2008 as well but, still…)