Official Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Oct. 1, 2011, 8:31 a.m.

Canada won't have trouble qualifying for the next World Cup, but they will miss out on a significant amount of funding now that they're not pre-qualified. Not to mention test matches, recruitment, etc. A bummer for our National program - and will certainly put a damper on their preparations for today's game.

Oct. 1, 2011, 8:38 a.m.

Canada won't have trouble qualifying for the next World Cup, but they will miss out on a significant amount of funding now that they're not pre-qualified. Not to mention test matches, recruitment, etc. A bummer for our National program - and will certainly put a damper on their preparations for today's game.

They can still finish 3rd if they thrash the All Blacks tonight … :)

Oct. 1, 2011, 8:53 a.m.

Bad news for Canada. Tonga just upset the French and therefore finish third in pool A. Canada now has to qualify for the next world cup.

I hate the French even more now, Clearly no effort or sportsmanship by them. Top Effort from Tonga, hardly any by the French.

Yah, only watched about 30-40 minutes of the game, but France was flailing about like beginners. If that had been the french team that Canada played, then Canada would have 4-5 more points in the standings by now.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 1, 2011, 8:54 a.m.

They can still finish 3rd if they thrash the All Blacks tonight … :)

Maybe EnZedd will decide it's a nothing match and bring their Tier 3 team?

Kn.

Oct. 1, 2011, 1:52 p.m.

Maybe EnZedd will decide it's a nothing match and bring their Tier 3 team?

Kn.

If Canada ever had a reason to play their best, tonight's game would be it. If you can't beat Japan (0-22-2 combined in Rugby World Cup history, including 17 straight losses) you probably should have to play the qualifications. Playing Tier 3 All Blacks is probably like the Manitoba Moose/Chicago Wolves versus the NZ national hockey team.

Oct. 1, 2011, 2:05 p.m.

How Canada can beat Tonga and not Japan…

New Zealand might want to avoid injuries. ;-)

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 1, 2011, 2:40 p.m.

New Zealand will not be playing most of their starters. They have already wrapped up 1st in the pool. They have no reason to play hard, other than to give the non starters some more experience. The All Blacks biggest concern now is to avoid injuries. I still don't see Canada upsetting them.

Reminds me of the Canucks last season just before the playoffs, lost two straight to the oilers because the biggest concern was to avoid injuries.

Oct. 1, 2011, 7:35 p.m.

Holy crap … Canada scores first against NZ!!

Kn.

Oct. 1, 2011, 9:19 p.m.

That was like the opposite of what a Canada - New Zealand hockey game would be like.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 1, 2011, 9:23 p.m.

I thought Canada did better than expected. But in a hockey game, Canada would be celebrating the win while NZ is still figuring out how to tie their skates.

Kn.

Oct. 1, 2011, 9:28 p.m.

New Zealand would be even better if they had some players with big beards.

New Zealand's speed often made Canada look like they were walking. That's hard to deal with, let alone skill and game play.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Oct. 1, 2011, 9:34 p.m.

The announcer on TSN; "Well, Kleeburger's got the beard of the tournament there."

Thread killer

Oct. 1, 2011, 11:51 p.m.

And Wales puts on a smoke show. Should be a good match for them against Ireland.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Oct. 2, 2011, 2:21 a.m.

WOW Kleeburger and Woodcock took big shots to the melon, both dropped like a sack of bricks. I hope they are OK, lets hope Woodcock isnt playing with a concussion in the quarters.

Oct. 2, 2011, 4:15 p.m.

Sonny Bill is a machine.

Shed head!