Official Canucks Playoff Thread

May 16, 2011, 3:26 p.m.

Or is it just easier to hate?

This.

In the playoffs there is always a bunch of 2nd. and (especially) 3rd. line guys that ramp it up. I think it has to do with two things: first you can increase intensity but you cannot neccessarily increase skill. Really, I don't think the Sedin's can increase the "intensity" with which they cycle. The playoffs demand that teams tighten up defensively, and that is going to have a negative on impact players that thrive by slowing the game down.

Secondly, teams demand that their best players carry them for 82 games, with top forwards spending 20+ minutes per game (I know, the Sedins average only 18+ minutes per game but it is still more than the 3rd. and 4th. line) means that at the end of the season they probably don't have as much left in the tank as the players on the roster that only get 8- 10 minutes of ice time.

Guys like Crosby, Toews and Kesler are the exception not the rule.

May 16, 2011, 4:05 p.m.

I was reading about the twins and it seems like a lot of peeps think they've been useless
in the last two series, but I can't help but think:
Both Chicago and Nashville had to put a lot of effort on those two to keep them from
scoring, which left guys like Kesler open a lot and tired out their first line since they
spent so much time on ice trying to keep both the twins and kesler at bay. So without
the twins, kesler wouldn't have had a chance to score like he did.

Or is it just easier to hate?

On top of his PP success Kesler scored even strength goals against Nashville's top defensive unit. This is because late in the series they noticed that he was the greater threat.

They have been good at times, and ineffective at others. People are dissapointed because they just don't manage to break through. The top players always play against the top D-men but somehow the other guys manage to put points on the board. Anaheims top line wasn't shut down.

This is what people are frustrated about. However I still feel that throwing them so hard under the bus is still uncalled for. It's just an easy story to write for the paper and a large percent of self proclaimed knowledgeable fans in vancouver just regurgitate whatever is the trendy complaint of the day.

With some success and the open ice it was only a matter of time before the twins put some points together, lets hope it continues.

May 16, 2011, 4:37 p.m.

The Sedins rely on the cycle on the boards, but playoff hockey is different, and if you play the same team over and over, they learn how to stop that. Henrik said that after the game, and how they can grow as players in the playoffs is to diversify.

Thing is, if you forget about the Sedins and concentrate elsewhere, they are a scoring threat again. So you have to play them close and throw resources at them because obviously the potential is there for them to score lots.

Remember Crosby in the Olympics? Everyone said that he wasn't performing up to snuff and was having a disappointing tournament. Then he scores the big goal, and everyone forgets that. The Sedins are on that road. Henrik got 1st star of the game last night. When they perform in clutch situations, they won't be viewed as underperformers anymore.

May 16, 2011, 4:45 p.m.

I just want to see the Sedins become more complete players. Better without the puck and better at both ends of the ice. I don't care if they win the scoring title or the Hart Trophy. They could play more minutes and be more of a threat if they were more well rounded players.

May 16, 2011, 4:56 p.m.

Loungo's # of goals allowed for his last 10 games.

1 1 0 2 2 2 4 1 2

2 or less in 8 of this last 9. Pretty damn good if you ask me bad goals or not.

May 16, 2011, 5:16 p.m.

Remember Crosby in the Olympics? Everyone said that he wasn't performing up to snuff and was having a disappointing tournament. Then he scores the big goal, and everyone forgets that. The Sedins are on that road. Henrik got 1st star of the game last night. When they perform in clutch situations, they won't be viewed as underperformers anymore.

I almost puked when Crosby was the one who scored the goal. Iginla did all the work on the play, Toews did the best throughout the tournament, but Crosby got all the glory because he showed up for 1 instance?

I don't think anyone will forget that Kesler drove the bus while the Sedins sat in the back seat trying to figure out a way to break through for 2 rounds.

May 17, 2011, 9:18 a.m.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

May 17, 2011, 12:47 p.m.

Was just looking at the schedule. Sunday's game is at 12 noon? WTH?

May 17, 2011, 12:49 p.m.

It's to accommodate our friends in the east coast and to fit NBC's programming slot because they probably don't want to give up their prime time schedule for a hockey game. What a joke!!

May 17, 2011, 12:51 p.m.

It's to accommodate our friends in the east coast to fit NBC's programming slot

reason #12938478475897345788349594 why america sucks.

May 17, 2011, 12:54 p.m.

Still makes no sense. They are trying to promote a sport by scheduling in the timeslot when no one is at home.

Fuck, even I live in the east coast, I will likely be out doing something at 3pm on a sunday.

May 17, 2011, 12:56 p.m.

Still makes no sense. They are trying to promote a sport by scheduling in the timeslot when no one is at home.

Fuck, even I live in the east coast, I will likely be out doing something at 3pm on a sunday.

americans go to bed at 6pm. its like one big country of geriatrics.

May 17, 2011, 1:07 p.m.

i love how we spend 90% of our time whining that the rest of the league ignores us, doesn't appreciate the sedins, etc etc, toronto gets all the coverage

and the other 10% complaining that times are set to allow the most people possible nationally to see the game

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

May 17, 2011, 1:12 p.m.

I'll be volunteering at the Hammerfest DH race! I'm thinking I'll be buying the broadcast on my iPhone…

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 17, 2011, 1:13 p.m.

Now molholtra's practicing in full pads. WHEN we make it to the finals he WILL play!