Official 2014 Formula 1 thread

Jan. 29, 2014, 9:01 p.m.

Ya, Newey is an absolute beast when it comes to engineering. Clearly the best in the biz. You have to ask yourself what drivers benefit alot from a very good car [HTML_REMOVED] what drivers are good whatever they drive. A guy like Damon Hill, Jacques Villeneuve or Jenson Button are nothing without a good car. Whereas guys like Vettel, Alonso, Schumi, Senna are/were always good no matter what they drive. Even if they are in a poor car, their enormous talent shows thru.

Vettel needs to race on a different team to cement himself, he's had the best car since he came in.

Schumi was good, but basically cheated with custom tires.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 29, 2014, 9:14 p.m.

Vettel needs to race on a different team to cement himself, he's had the best car since he came in.

Schumi was good, but basically cheated with custom tires.

Webber also had the best car, but look what he did with it. That being said, I agree with your statement about Vettel. Unless he goes elsewhere [HTML_REMOVED] does well, critics might say "His success at RB was down to the car". Schumi would have been a world champ even without those custom tires. Maybe not 7 world titles awesome, but still a world champ.

Thread killer

Jan. 29, 2014, 9:21 p.m.

I hope the Williams is quick. The last real team.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Jan. 30, 2014, 1:12 a.m.

Did McLaren pull off a Ross Brawn?

http://racermag.kinja.com/f1-analysis-mclaren-suspension-blocks-1511935262/@travis

Good on them. Now all they have to do is to repaint their car orange. Leave silver to Mercedes, mmmkay?

Jan. 30, 2014, 7:24 a.m.

Webber also had the best car, but look what he did with it. That being said, I agree with your statement about Vettel. Unless he goes elsewhere [HTML_REMOVED] does well, critics might say "His success at RB was down to the car". Schumi would have been a world champ even without those custom tires. Maybe not 7 world titles awesome, but still a world champ.

There's no way Webber's car was identical to Vettel's. Look how many more surprise failures he had that Seb last year.

Jan. 30, 2014, 7:47 a.m.

maybe the cars were the same, but webber definitely got less attention from the team mechanics regarding setup and troubleshooting. I think.

Jan. 30, 2014, 8:03 a.m.

There's no way Webber's car was identical to Vettel's. Look how many more surprise failures he had that Seb last year.

Watch the documentary series "Engineering the World Rally". It really shows how things can go wrong in a big way and someone like Petter Solberg that should have won the driver title that year ended up having a career damaging season. Sometimes they're testing new technology/setups on one car that they aren't on the other. And sometimes stuff just goes wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UoIXyQXFSI

Jan. 30, 2014, 6:39 p.m.

I bet Eric Boullier is glad he left Lotus for McLaren. Prolly has a little smirk on his face.

Thread killer

Jan. 30, 2014, 10:03 p.m.

Redbull are in trouble. Sidepods too tight (undercut), not enough cooling room. Newey and the Renualt guys arguing in the pitlane. Mercedes cars flying, including Williams which is nice to hear. Magnussen seems quick.

Could be good for a change. No doubt Newey will work it all out but hopefully not right away.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Jan. 31, 2014, 12:11 p.m.

RBR will likely figure it out, but I love the blame game they have going with Renault :lol:

It's not like they will change to another engine, since they have the Infiniti endorsement by Vettel.

Go Kimi!

Feb. 13, 2014, 11:21 a.m.

That's it. If this is true, I'm rooting for Massa this year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112504

Feb. 13, 2014, 3:41 p.m.

Nose looks too high for a 2014 car. Throw a big donkey schlong on the front and see if it still looks good.

Feb. 23, 2014, 9:27 p.m.

Mercedes lookin' real sharp. McLaren [HTML_REMOVED] Button also put in some good times in Bahrain. Could this be Rosberg's year? It would be nice to get a break from Red Bull domination. Unless Adrian Newey pulls a rabbit from a hat, looks like they may be down on reliability as well as pace.

Thread killer

Feb. 23, 2014, 9:32 p.m.

Kimi Kimi Kimi Kimi
:finland:

Feb. 24, 2014, 1:02 p.m.

As far as bahrain is concerned, Jenson had all the consistency. I would not bet against him this year.