Official 2011/12 Canucks Thread

July 7, 2011, 1:48 p.m.

We just signed another goalie?

Gillis getting ready to trade Schneider maybe?

July 7, 2011, 2:33 p.m.

Not sure if letting Erhoff go considering the amount he got was really a bad decision. We can't keep em all and was anyone willing to lock up Luongo money on him. I will miss Torres though, what did he get?

Last season he made $3.4mil with a cap hit of $3.1mil and he signed next season he will make $10mil with a cap hit of $4.0mil. I find it hard to believe the Canucks couldn't have matched that. It's a heavily from loaded contract with not much more cap hit than last year.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

July 7, 2011, 2:34 p.m.

Gillis getting ready to trade Luongo maybe?

FYP. ;)

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

July 7, 2011, 2:35 p.m.

Last season he made $3.4mil with a cap hit of $3.1mil and he signed next season he will make $10mil with a cap hit of $4.0mil. I find it hard to believe the Canucks couldn't have matched that. It's a heavily from loaded contract with not much more cap hit than last year.

Yeah, except that 4 mil cap hit will run for 10 years.

"Everybody loves something, even if its just tortillas"

July 7, 2011, 2:42 p.m.

FYP. ;)

Either way, it's good IMO. I doubt he'll trade Lu, but I'd be just as happy with Schneider being our #1.

I'm just curious why we'd sign another goalie. Only thing that makes sense to me is if we're prepping to trade either Lu or Schneider.

Yeah, except that 4 mil cap hit will run for 10 years.

Fair enough. I'd be hesitant too considering there will be a new CBA coming in the near future. Who knows what that will hold.

Gillis getting ready to trade Schneider maybe?

wouldn't it be cheaper to just get Cloutier back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcC5A4gfcsY

July 7, 2011, 2:45 p.m.

Either way, it's good IMO. I doubt he'll trade Lu, but I'd be just as happy with Schneider being our #1.

I'm just curious why we'd sign another goalie. Only thing that makes sense to me is if we're prepping to trade either Lu or Schneider.

I keep hearing rumors of Schnieder being traded as a package with Ballard to clear that $4.2mil cap hit off the books. That would give them some decent cap space to play with. I have never personally seen Eddie Lack play but I've heard nothing but good things. I don't know if I'd want to rely on him when Lu goes into one of his usual funks though. That's what Schnieder was good, you could count on him 100%.

July 7, 2011, 3:09 p.m.

most of these guys being signed lately will spend most of the time in the AHL. CLIME doesn't exactly scream NHL back-up to me

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

July 7, 2011, 3:13 p.m.

wouldn't it be cheaper to just get Cloutier back?

WHITMORE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWV11Rcu8EY

"Everybody loves something, even if its just tortillas"

July 7, 2011, 7:45 p.m.

I don't know, its not like the new guy has much (5 or 6 games) experience at the NHL level.

Could be just getting him to groom him for the future. Having a third goalie ready to call at a moment's notice is always handy.

Remember back in Cloutier's day the 'nucks had to call up that UBC T-Birds backup?

I sat with him in Russian Lit and I remember shitting bricks when I saw him on tv. His stories the next class were pretty funny.

July 7, 2011, 7:46 p.m.

ps. I'm totally name dropping.

Even though I don't remember this name :lol:

July 7, 2011, 7:55 p.m.

Canucks will win the Cup in 2012. I'm calling it meow.

No way. First round elimination. Maybe even at the hands of Chicago to make up for the one they narrowly escaped this season.

July 7, 2011, 9:39 p.m.

Gillis seems to be happy with not winning a Stanley Cup. The teams below Vancouver have improved drastically. The Canucks have added nobody, and lost quite a bit. Gillis has watched all of the high quality players sign elsewhere. His only option is to ship Schneider and/or Hodgson for someone good. But that probably won't come until before the trade deadline. Canucks will win the Cup in 2012. I'm calling it meow.

really? don't see alot of moves that are going to put anyone instantly over the top in the West.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl_signing_tracker/

July 8, 2011, 9:31 a.m.

Forgot about Richards but is that a drastic improvement? they also got Gagne but he seems to be injured often lately. SJ may have got Burns and Havlat but they lost Heatly and Setoguchi in the process. Their top 2 RW's. Chicago may have got those guys but again also lost a couple of key players in the process.

As for what the Nucks have done. Are Glass and Tambellini really going to be missed? Torres maybe but he was pretty much out of the league before he signed with vancouver so who knows how he'll do. Hopefully AV can get over is hate on for Ballard so he can fill minutes lost with Erhoff. If not I imagine he'll be shipped out by x-mas