Official 2011/12 Canucks Thread

July 4, 2011, 2:06 p.m.

I think we found it hard to play against Shitcago too? Adversity comes in all forms including mental and physical.

Oh my bad, torres a million dollar player got the same amount of goals as henrik, a five mill player? Laughable at best. Specially when you notice torres on the ice more than BOTH the sedins. Go check out nhl.com … It's pretty terrible when your defense scores more than your first line.

Good players adapt to adversity. The sedin's cannot do that one bit and are useless in the playoffs. You can state all you want but the above has been true since they came to vancouver. Regardless of how entertaining they are to watch in the regular season being the leagues leading scorer in the regular season obviously doesn't mean anything in the playoffs. Not to mention boston scored all their goals against the sedin's pitiful defense. A trade is needed whether you like it or not, it really depends if we can get a decent player for them or not.

GRIT is what we need. We didn't have a huge superstar team in 94 when we made it to the cup? We had Bure and a handful of middle of the road players. We came closer then than we did this year…Don't bother trying to state hockey is different fifteen years later either..

This coming from a 20 year canucks fan, not some chinese guy with 20 flags in the windows of his audi who barely knows what offside is.

Chicago is a good example of a team that has the grit, but was lacking in skill and that cost them. You can cherry pick one stat but that doesn't really tell the story. The Canucks took too many penalties throughout these playoffs and that also hurt the Sedins in their scoring.

A trade isn't required whether you think one is or not. Anyway you want to look at it the Canucks made it within a game of taking the cup and Thomas played the best games of his career.

We do need more grit, but you don't get it by throwing out your top scorers. When the Canucks lost, they lost as a team, showing their mental consistency played a big part in their losses. Personally I think giving Kesler the C would go a long way to solve that.

I am not giving the Sedins a free pass on the losses, but people talking about trading them or Luongo are delusional if they think that will mean we can just go out and grab an Ovechkin or that they were not noticeable in the playoffs. They have improved every year that we have had them, and I expect them to be better and hungrier next year.

July 4, 2011, 2:27 p.m.

Henrik got 22 points, Daniel got 20 points. That's good enough for Henrik to sit in second and put Daniel in a 3-way tie for third in the playoff point count. Sorry, who wanted to trade them?

Their scoring may have been inconsistent, but I think the teams that held their scoring down the best (CHI/BOS) figured out the formula for shutting down the Sedins. My opinion: Vancouver would do better to find a way to counter the shutdown forces than to get rid of the Sedins. Find a way to use their resources to keep the ice open for them and they will score in the playoffs.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 4, 2011, 2:30 p.m.

Henrik got 22 points, Daniel got 20 points. That's good enough for Henrik to sit in second and put Daniel in a 3-way tie for third in the playoff point count. Sorry, who wanted to trade them?

Its not the point talley.. it when they tallied them. In most close games, and in the finals, they may as well have stayed home. Youre smarter than that Ken.

July 4, 2011, 2:42 p.m.

Its not the point talley.. it when they tallied them. In most close games, and in the finals, they may as well have stayed home. Youre smarter than that Ken.

I think what Ken said already speaks for the finals since it was their record in the finals, and for close games, all the Canuck wins except for one were within 2 points. The close games were the ones the Canucks shined in. You're smarter than that Rainmaker.

July 4, 2011, 2:45 p.m.

Their scoring may have been inconsistent, but I think the teams that held their scoring down the best (CHI/BOS) figured out the formula for shutting down the Sedins. My opinion: Vancouver would do better to find a way to counter the shutdown forces than to get rid of the Sedins. Find a way to use their resources to keep the ice open for them and they will score in the playoffs.

Kn.

Play makers sure. That is consistent of the sedins. Making mediocre players(burrows) into 35 goal scorers is what they do. They do free up ice for others in that respect. I don't have a hate on for them but am oh so tired of their lack of consistency in the playoffs and on defense. In the boston series they carried the play for 5 minutes of hard offense in boston's end and looked like the sedins of the regular season only to not be able to free themselves up or find open ice(what good players do) in all the later games. I think it was every teams game plan to shut down the sedins as they are the leagues top scorers, which opened up a lot of chances for our deep lines.

If you look at the plus minus they were fairly poor in the playoffs. It doesn't matter if you can put up twenty points when you are a minus 11, many of which were all important first goals. Add on top of that they can't play penalty kill defense and you have two very one way players that are hard to manage ice time for in games.

The biggest part of there hard times might have been the match up game Elaine likes to play. Sometimes it works in favour of the Sedin's as they get to play against lesser defensive pairs. Sometimes the other team can win the match up game and have their top line vs the sedin's defending, much like boston took advantage of.

We will see what this season does for the team, if it motivated them more or broke their spirit.

Yes they made it to the top of the playoff scoring simply by being on a team that made it to the finals, but their performance was very much less than 2md and third place in that respect.

I think I'm rambling. Go canucks!

Clunking is for retards.

July 4, 2011, 2:48 p.m.

I think what Ken said already speaks for the finals since it was their record in the finals, and for close games, all the Canuck wins except for one were within 2 points. The close games were the ones the Canucks shined in. You're smarter than that Rainmaker.

Please, please dont make me go to the boxscores.

July 4, 2011, 2:49 p.m.

nhl.com/boxscores :lol::lol:

Clunking is for retards.

July 4, 2011, 3:02 p.m.

I wasn't about to but go ahead. :lol:

July 4, 2011, 3:56 p.m.

The Sedins were hot and cold throughout the playopffs and in the last round they sucked- no bones about it. To win the Cup (or any championship) you have to have two things: your top players playing at their peak and team health. In the final round Boston had both, the Canucks had neither

July 4, 2011, 5:03 p.m.

Kn.

The Sedins racked up most of their points against San Jose. They were pretty much useless in 3 out of the 4 playoff rounds. They are one trick ponies of the highest order.

July 4, 2011, 10:44 p.m.

IMO secondary scoring is probably the most important in a cup run. The top lines are going to see the best d pairings and that's probably why Kesler was able to shine against Nashville before getting injured. Toews last year only had 3 assists in 6games in the Cup final last year and I think Crosby only had 2 assists and was negative in the +/-. Malkin won the Conn Smythe as a second line centre.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

July 4, 2011, 10:52 p.m.

So I am lazy and only read the last few post in this old thread.

We will make another run for the cup in 2012, to me that is a given. The Sedin sisters as they were once called have matured as players. This year they got mean for the first time I have seen. That said they will be meaner next year. If we can put some quality players with Kesler than we might have a fighting chance at the cup. I think the club is making the right adjustment to ensure a cup run for 2012.

:fro:

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

July 5, 2011, 12:12 a.m.

When the other team starts to get your number, it's the coach that has to make the adjustments. Vancouver failed adjust to Chicago the last couple years, and squeaked by this year. Boston outplayed Vancouver mentally, and that shouldn't have been allowed. Injuries hurt, but the ability was there. Now they need to re-group and work on dealing with teams that play like Boston.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 5, 2011, 9:49 a.m.

When the other team starts to get your number, it's the coach that has to make the adjustments. Vancouver failed adjust to Chicago the last couple years, and squeaked by this year. Boston outplayed Vancouver mentally, and that shouldn't have been allowed. Injuries hurt, but the ability was there. Now they need to re-group and work on dealing with teams that play like Boston.

I think the Canucks all need to think real hard this summer about why they collapse and can't seem to find their game for stretches of time. It wasn't just the blow outs in the playoffs to Chicago and Boston, it happened during the regular season too including those "easy wins" against the Coilers at the end, but it just doesn't matter much if you shit the bed 3 or 4 games in a row when you are already running away with the president's trophy so nobody is talking about it.

I was pretty nervous after the first shellacking by Chicago because in the regular season it always took a few games to get back into form.

July 5, 2011, 9:41 p.m.

That sort of thing happens to all teams. Last year in the second round Boston was up 3-0 in game 7 against Philly; they lost that game with essentially the same lineup that won the cup last with one important exception: Rask was in net because Thomas was unreliable.

Lucky for Boston they were unable to move Thomas in the off season (due to his weighty contract) even though they tried.

Point is- I don't think the Canucks need to change too much. Obviously they will need to replace a few parts that have moved on, but key personnel don't need to be jettisoned.