October 17th... smokem if you gottem!

June 20, 2018, 12:24 p.m.

It's official.  The holy smoke will be 100% legal in Canada on October 17th. 

June 20, 2018, 1:12 p.m.

sounds like the gov will fuck it all up for the medical user and probably distribution in  general

June 20, 2018, 2:33 p.m.

Soma.

Last edited by: tungsten on June 20, 2018, 2:36 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 20, 2018, 6 p.m.

Strange how it'll be legal yet have 45 more cannabis related offenses written into law.

I especially like the new public intoxication one where if a court decides you are walking around baked, maybe on your way to the pizza place, you can be fined hundreds of dollars or thrown in prison for 30 days.

This law only protects wealthier pot smokers who own their own detached homes. If you're a renter it's basically more illegal than ever.

Not to mention that the penalties for driving with any amount of weed is triple what they are for driving drunk and since they have no scientific way of proving who is driving stoned and who simply smoked a joint at home the night before it's gonna swamp the courts and waste everyone's time. 

We're gonna have the same thing they've had going on in the states in regards to driving where people who have never smoked in their lives now have criminal records and travel restrictions because they drifted out of their lane slightly. People who don't even smoke weed should be worried about this.

Get ready for the post legalization nightmare. Evictions, fines, license suspensions and endless court cases. A few people are gonna make a lot of money but it's gonna be a shitshow.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on June 20, 2018, 6:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 20, 2018, 6:28 p.m.

...but your children will be safe now.

June 20, 2018, 6:49 p.m.

Yup, because when I was a kid it was literally impossible to acquire booze and cigs. True story.

June 20, 2018, 9:16 p.m.

As a chronic smoker in my yoot, the absolute sure-fire way to know if I was high was I went 2 km/hr under the speed limit and followed every other rule of traffic law to a tee.

Now when I was drunk I had 14 people in my Chevy Cavalier and was a fucking menace.

Regarding point one above, unless we standardize on setting the speed limit to the 85th, I'm not looking forward to driving October+.

June 20, 2018, 10:10 p.m.

It would be called "the weed limit"

no Dispensaries close to schools, 500 meters between dispensaries ... they should do that for fast food outlets

June 21, 2018, 10:20 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Strange how it'll be legal yet have 45 more cannabis related offenses written into law.

I especially like the new public intoxication one where if a court decides you are walking around baked, maybe on your way to the pizza place, you can be fined hundreds of dollars or thrown in prison for 30 days.

This law only protects wealthier pot smokers who own their own detached homes. If you're a renter it's basically more illegal than ever.

Not to mention that the penalties for driving with any amount of weed is triple what they are for driving drunk and since they have no scientific way of proving who is driving stoned and who simply smoked a joint at home the night before it's gonna swamp the courts and waste everyone's time. 

We're gonna have the same thing they've had going on in the states in regards to driving where people who have never smoked in their lives now have criminal records and travel restrictions because they drifted out of their lane slightly. People who don't even smoke weed should be worried about this.

Get ready for the post legalization nightmare. Evictions, fines, license suspensions and endless court cases. A few people are gonna make a lot of money but it's gonna be a shitshow.

They had to appease the naysayers.  I am hoping most of these laws get challenged in court, but I agree with you on the future issues with the driving laws.  Those are going to be a pain in the ass.  The thing that drives me nuts is that we have to listen to nonsense and not we have legislation based on ignorance.  There are so many people that actually think there are all these potential pot smokers that have been waiting for it to be legal and now all of a sudden they are going to light up and get crazy.  "I would love to have a toke, it looks super fun, but breaking the law is bad... mmmm'kay"  Nobody has ever said that.

June 21, 2018, 10:34 a.m.

Can't wait to see how much it's gonna cost too.

Last time I was in Washington I bought some rec weed. I paid 15 bucks USD for two joints...

Oddly enough legalization might be the thing that makes me finally give up the devil's lettuce. At least they protected home cultivation. That's the only positive change I can see. Except even that one is only allowed if you own a house or have the landlord's permission.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on June 21, 2018, 10:35 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 21, 2018, 10:57 a.m.

Ya, the real estate people really screwed with the home grow laws.  My tomatoes are doing really well on my deck so next year should prove fruitful.

June 21, 2018, 6:30 p.m.

im super excited about the homegrow, the driving laws as everyone else said seem totally fucked.. like wtf have we been doing up till this point? aint nothing wrong with that system as I see it.

June 21, 2018, 9:24 p.m.

I walked into a place here in North Van with a friend a while ago. He walked up to the counter bought some weed and gummy bears. No questions asked... what laws are they passing?

June 22, 2018, 3:50 p.m.

I was at the farmer's market last week. Bought THC fudge and a gummy.  Seller advised us it was potent stuff and they were telling the truth.  

These new Impaired Driving laws are messed up.  Police don't need probable cause to administer roadside screening for both drugs and alcohol.  Failure to comply will be considered guilt admission.  Didn't BC go through a similar scenario a few years back with zero tolerance?

June 23, 2018, midnight

Posted by: Brocklanders

I walked into a place here in North Van with a friend a while ago. He walked up to the counter bought some weed and gummy bears. No questions asked... what laws are they passing?

well the industry has  been flying under the radar for years but now they  feds feel the need to completely spell it all out

driving stoned will be the same as it ever was ... they can't prove shit

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 23, 2018, 12:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.