#OccupyWallStreet

Oct. 15, 2011, 2:12 p.m.

Sorry if this has been posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mAUQYn6DjM

Oct. 15, 2011, 2:20 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaEeeLOB5IA

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 15, 2011, 2:24 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWwEwUz45_I

that is the most reatrded thing ever even a retarded would say thats retarded

Oct. 16, 2011, 8:45 a.m.

Many of you want to be rebellious because you loathe the people who fucked up this country. But I have news for you: this isn’t a new phenomenon. This country has been on the decline since the 1970?s and the bankers are not the only people responsible for our woes. How about the manufacturing plants in the rust belt? I can guarantee you the outsourcing of American jobs has hurt us more than TARP, via closing factories down in order to reduce expenses, yet American industrials are booking RECORD profits thanks to cheap Chinese labor. Moreover, the idea that these mammoth banks are going to go away in exchange for smaller/community banks is pure phantasm. They were allowed to get big by your government. You want to exact change? Arm the protesters and put them on a fucking train heading for DC.
Like it or not, the banks are NOT owned by the government and can pay their CEO’s whatever they want. If Citibank wants to pay their CEO 1 trillion dollars per year, they are entitled to do so. Do you want to know why? BECAUSE THEY ARE A FUCKING PRIVATE BUSINESS. If shareholders want to rebel, so be it. That’s how this system of capitalism works. The government doesn’t get a fucking say in how monies are to be allocated. They (the govt) are the worst allocators of capital and should mind their own peas when it comes to budgeting.

I'm currently mystified as to why lambasting corporations is ok, when really, the owners of every corporation are large groups of shareholders and generally those shareholders are pension funds that are providing for many people's retirements and health benefits. Certainly isn't convenient for the OWS movement, I guess.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Oct. 16, 2011, 10:11 a.m.

I'm currently mystified as to why lambasting corporations is ok, when really, the owners of every corporation are large groups of shareholders and generally those shareholders are pension funds that are providing for many people's retirements and health benefits. Certainly isn't convenient for the OWS movement, I guess.

What fascinates me most, batemen, is that not only do you completely fail to get the point, but you actually seem to work diligently at avoiding any possibility of getting it.

If we were a group of bird watchers out for a stroll, you'd be the guy who decided not to bring binoculars. When the group is looking north, someone says "wow, check out that blue-footed booby", you're the guy facing south saying "I can't see it". Then someone tells you to turn around, so you do a full 360 and end up facing south again, and you still can't see the damn bird.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 16, 2011, 10:34 a.m.

The connection that you've drawn between corporate performance and people's health benefits/retirements should aid in your demystification.

Oct. 16, 2011, 10:51 a.m.

We talk endlessly of the individual and of individualism, for example, when any sensible glance at major issues indicates that we live in an era of great conformism. Our societies turn upon democratic principles, yet the quasi totality of our leading citizens refuse to take part in that process and, instead, leave the exercise of political power to those for whom they have contempt. Our business leaders hector us in the name of capitalism, when most of them are no more than corporate employees, isolated from personal risk

John Ralston Saul

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Oct. 16, 2011, 3:08 p.m.

What fascinates me most, batemen, is that not only do you completely fail to get the point, but you actually seem to work diligently at avoiding any possibility of getting it.

If we were a group of bird watchers out for a stroll, you'd be the guy who decided not to bring binoculars. When the group is looking north, someone says "wow, check out that blue-footed booby", you're the guy facing south saying "I can't see it". Then someone tells you to turn around, so you do a full 360 and end up facing south again, and you still can't see the damn bird.

Kn.

Not really.

When people say 'down with Wall-Street' or rail against large corporations, they fail to see that if you trace where the bulk of the money is going to, it's ending up back in the hands of normal people through pension disbursements and health insurance.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Oct. 16, 2011, 3:21 p.m.

When people say 'down with Wall-Street' or rail against large corporations, they fail to see that if you trace where the bulk of the money is going to, it's ending up back in the hands of normal people through pension disbursements and health insurance.

You keep running with this, "Down with large corporations" straw-man. Please, stop.

I'd bet dollars for donuts that if a vote were to take place the three tenets below would rise near to the top (if not at the top entirely):

1. No more bailouts/Bring Back Real Capitalism! The United States used to be a capitalist system. Companies lived and died on their own successes. “Corporate Welfare” – the term coined by Wisconsin senator William Proxmire – came into being in 1971 with the bailout of Lockheed Aircraft. Thus began a run of corporatism, not capitalism. Some companies, less than successful in a competitive marketplace, chose instead to suckle at the teat of the public trough. Innovation, execution and hard work were replaced with lobbying, crony capitalism and bailouts of failure. All of this paid for by taxpayers.

2. End Too Big To Fail/Restore Competition As George Shultz once said, “If they’re too big to fail, make them smaller.”

The current economic approach of “Too Big to Fail” is itself a failure. It reduces economic competition, concentrates risk, and raises costs for consumers. University of Missouri–Kansas City (UMKC) professor of Economics and Law William Black notes that the TBTF moniker is misleading. We should start calling these firms by the more accurate phrase “Systemically Dangerous Institutions” (SDIs). TBTF makes it sound like the size is the problem – in reality, the systemic risk, regardless of size, is what we should be focused on. SDI is an accurate phrase, and appropriately pejorative.

3. Take Congress back from Wall Street Whatever changes come, they will only be temporary if the current system of spoils is allowed to continue. The United States has become a “corporatocracy.” Campaign finance and lobbying money has so utterly corrupted Congress that we might as well put elected officials up for bid on eBay – that is how corrupted the system has become. We must become a democracy again, where one man one vote matters. To do that, Wall Street money must be taken out of the process.

The Supreme Court has ruled repeatedly on campaign finance reform, finding against voters and in favor of corporate interests. The only way to take the government back is a Constitutional Amendment.

Oct. 16, 2011, 5:03 p.m.

Not really.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a good one!

Oct. 16, 2011, 5:27 p.m.

Not really.

:stupid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_inequality_in_the_United_States

Oct. 16, 2011, 7:33 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCRnkamitVk

Oct. 17, 2011, 8:57 a.m.

Hey PB, in an attempt to end your single line of … 'attack' throughout this thread, can you read this? It's not long.

Many of you haven't made up your minds yet about the images you're seeing from the Occupy Wall Street movements all over the nation. I haven't either, but this week I met someone who totally floored me and turned a lot of my preconceived notions upside down.

[…]

Oct. 17, 2011, 9 a.m.

LOL, here's another good read.

An Inarticulate Articulation of Why Occupy Wall Street Doesn't Need to Articulate a Damn Thing
[…]
If the Tea Party had not been racist and gun-toting and stupid and easily manipulated from the start, it would have had the same message.
[…]

Hopefully this movement isn't co-opted by the Depublicrats somehow like the Tea-Baggers were.

Oct. 17, 2011, 9:47 a.m.

Not really.

Please stop. You are only making a fool of yourself.