NSMB decide my life - where to move to?

Sept. 19, 2017, 11:02 a.m.

considering leaving Vancouver and looking at a bunch of different options - access to riding/sliding is probably priority #1.
no wife and no kids means few restrictions
want a house/land and cheapish
may not need work depending on how cheapish the land is
don't mind buying a dump as I can easily fix it myself - I would actually prefer a project

I've been looking at:

Rossland
Golden
Terrace
Smithers
Kamloops
Revelstoke

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 19, 2017, 1:40 p.m.

Smitters 'cause then three NSMB bro's can guzzle beer and poach pow together, man.

Last edited by: tungsten on Sept. 19, 2017, 1:40 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 19, 2017, 2:01 p.m.

The big question is probably what are ya gona do for work when you get there?

IMO that groovy back to the land thing burns up alot of  work & money so I would buy something in town for 300k-ish that will allow you to run a basement suite so  you can walk every where instead of burning time & fuel, you can also be a slum lord with a suite that generates an easy 10-12 K a year

ski hill is 20min, XC area is 10min, the bluff trails are 5min, steelhead fishing right in town, the Hankin BC ski area is 45min to p-lot, the sledding is pretty close (I think)

The younger women I know seem to complain that there are not enough men probably cuz they are all busy skiing paddling hunting fishing and/or in camp

Sept. 19, 2017, 3:45 p.m.

BC Interior.  The weather is better, there's plenty of outdoor activities, and Vancouver is still close.  If you live somewhat close to Kelowna or Kamloops you'll still have decent access to all the big box stores.

Sept. 19, 2017, 3:46 p.m.

Ignoring money side of things, Revy if you care a lot about skiing. Great ski hill/slackcountry, proximity to Rogers Pass and there is sled access stuff as well. The biking is amazing too. Proximity to major centres is decent with Kamloops reasonably close and Calgary is driveable.

Last edited by: grambo on Sept. 19, 2017, 3:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 19, 2017, 7:29 p.m.

Comox valley/Campbell river are arguably the best places on the island that I've lived people still greet each other on the street and that sort of stuff. Great access to outdoors, minimal traffic, places aren't over run with hordes of chodes its glorious, Mt cain and mt wash for lift access, strathcona and others for back country. You're not freezing your nuts off for half a year either, when it snows in town its actually fun and not just another shitty thing that you gotta deal with all winter.

Revy would be pretty sweet and I dig the whole being close to lilooet and other sick backroady things kamloops has got going on..

pretty sweet situation you find yourself in.

Sept. 19, 2017, 10:35 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

major centres = Kamloops

ha ha

Sept. 20, 2017, 9:40 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: grambo

major centres = Kamloops

ha ha

yup Kamloops, PG, Vernon, kelowna are  considered major centers big enough to support many things you just can't get in the small town if think you wana move from the GVRD, hell Smithers doesn't have a mall or a walmart, apparently its hard to buy cheap clothes for kids but we are better off than Houston ... they lost their food store

Sept. 20, 2017, 9:52 a.m.

yeah shopping is expensive and limited in the sticks.  we lived in burnaby for the last two years and got used to food selection, especially asian stuff.  we are back in the sticks (crescent valley between nelson and castlegar) and we spend a ton on food.  we have land here, so we'll see how green our thumbs will be.

as for as rossland, i'm not sure you'll be getting land there for cheapish.  there are lots of places near me that are affordable dumps with land.  pass creek, slocan valley, blewett, etc.  closer to rossland, you can look at fruitvale and montrose which are more rural.

Sept. 20, 2017, 10:21 a.m.

Posted by: johnny_deformed

as for as rossland, i'm not sure you'll be getting land there for cheapish. there are lots of places near me that are affordable dumps with land. pass creek, slocan valley, blewett, etc. closer to rossland, you can look at fruitvale and montrose which are more rural.

Being from the city cheapish is relative and I should have been more clear in that land could simply be a standard lot for a house to sit on. I'm not necessarily looking for an acre or more.

Last edited by: syncro on Sept. 20, 2017, 10:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 20, 2017, 2:26 p.m.

what are you going to do when you get out of the city?

another option if you have a suite deal going is running an Air BnB

Right now i'm doing badly needed painting and flooring in the slum,

Time to spend some money but it has been producing $$$ for the last 7 yrs

actualy the new tennant is doing the painting

Sept. 20, 2017, 2:33 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I'm not necessarily looking for an acre or more.

"A man without land is nothing!" - Duddy Kravitz

Last edited by: tungsten on Sept. 20, 2017, 2:34 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 20, 2017, 4:36 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

what are you going to do when you get out of the city?

another option if you have a suite deal going is running an Air BnB

Right now i'm doing badly needed painting and flooring in the slum,

Time to spend some money but it has been producing $$$ for the last 7 yrs

actualy the new tennant is doing the painting

what will i do? ride, hike, climb, build, ski, board and maybe run my reno biz part time if i need some income. part of the idea is to find a place with a suite or that's suiteable and work minimal hours. depending on the property i might do a stay & ride type of operation too.

i have thought about buying a cheapo place in nowhere-ville close to a mountain and buying a mini excavator and just while away my days carving trail into the hillside.

Sept. 20, 2017, 6:21 p.m.

and so another carpenter comes to town ... we got lots of them,

even I had to read that book, yes  a man without land may be  nothing

but he thats all academic if he can't generate some income

it might be hard to find one job but if you got 4 or 5 jobs on the go ... job diversification

OR go away to camp to make big coin possibly hate your life  and spend all the $$$ when you get home

Sept. 20, 2017, 6:50 p.m.

We are heading up to Kamloops area in the next couple of years . getting tired of the business and contual costs of being down in the Lower mainland area . Both the kids are done HS , one has one year left of fulltime school and then the house is on the market . We are going more rural that what we are now .

And I have agree with Kamloops being a hub , for my line of work ( Machinist ) Loops and PG are the only two spots besides Vancouver in the province that support my needs.