NSMB decide my life - where to move to?

Sept. 25, 2017, 12:36 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Part of the idea of this move is retiring now instead of 15-20 years from now. A house with a suite to pay the bills and maybe working a couple days per week for pocket cash and a new bike every 3 years or so.

Sounds like full pension a loooooooong way off. You a trust fund child? Just say'n.....

Posted by: JBV

. i don't think there are any women either.

that's where acreage would help, could keep a flock of sheep..

??????????

haha - I was supposed to head over to the shore

Tell me about it 2ish Sat we were going to go up Seymour got as far as Bridgeway peeled off and drove to Buntzen.

I would never live in NV unless I worked there.

In fact at this point I'm loath to even leave the house during rush hour.

Last edited by: tungsten on Sept. 25, 2017, 12:53 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 25, 2017, 1:40 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Exactly ^^ Lee and Sharon have already been here/ blogged it and all the beta is on their site for both the summer and winter activities, where to ride where to stay where to eat and there are others

Maybe you can do a shuttle for some bike trails or rides to the ski hill to generate some income but realisticaly not a whole bunch so I am inclined to agree

I have a friend running a BnB and it generated some great income in aug but thats the summer season and not every month was like that also consider she had to spend at least 1hr a day to clean/do laundry/change beds yada yada so YES you can make more money than with a suite IF the traffic was there BUT you gotta be there to make that money

whereas all I did was collect the rent every month, I didn't even go in my suite for 4 years, I can leave for a month and still the place is generating a steady income year after year

the advantage of the first place I was looking at in Rossland was that it was big enough to have a suite, have a couple rooms for a BnB thing with a shared common space and have my own small private suite. the BnB thing was kind of a fun thing to do and bring in a little extra cash. trust me though a place with a suite or that is suite-able is a high priority.

Sept. 25, 2017, 1:48 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Sounds like full pension a loooooooong way off. You a trust fund child? Just say'n.....

lol, not a trust fund. I need to work another 10yrs to get something reasonable out of my pension. Finding work where I can transfer my pension would be a plus. The only thing that makes it possible is the combination of the increase in value of my home here and the fact that I have no one else to worry about so I'm not tied to a particular location. Plus being a renovation contractor I can buy a dump and fix it myself.

Sept. 25, 2017, 3:54 p.m.

the advantage of the first place I was looking at in Rossland was that it was big enough to have a suite, have a couple rooms for a BnB thing with a shared common space and have my own small private suite. the BnB thing was kind of a fun thing to do and bring in a little extra cash. trust me though a place with a suite or that is suite-able is a high priority.

if you can have the cheapest entry on air BnB for your local that is the 1st thing people will see, I think a couple rooms, shared space/shared washroom & shower for cheap might qualify and if the situation changes it becomes a 2bdroom suite

consider if a place is really big it costs more $$$ to heat and pay attention to what your tax bill will be

I got about 1000 sq ft on each floor but I live up, the last house I lived up and down over the years as situation dictated ... that is how you get ahead

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 25, 2017, 4:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 26, 2017, 9:44 a.m.

Watch out for Air BnB though.  Towns have it in their power to crack down on that and it looks like spots might be starting. Canmore just started handing out $3500 fines for ABnB.

Sept. 26, 2017, 11:17 a.m.

Is that for any BnB or just operations where the LL did not live? I think they had a big probelm with this in Vancover and they outlawed renting a suite where the LL did not live?

I think there is  a big difference between an LL running half a doz suites where they do not live  and just running a suite in the home where they live

If a BnB gets outlawed it just becomes a suite

Sept. 26, 2017, 11:21 a.m.

the title of the thread is "decide my life" how can I do that if I like different things than you

Ferinstance every time I go there I can't wait to get out of whistler but you may like it if you could afford it

and there is a whole lot of other bits to life you gotta consider than just skiing & biking

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 26, 2017, 11:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 26, 2017, 1:32 p.m.

It's a difference between a licensed B&B and an unlicensed Air BnB.

Sept. 26, 2017, 9:20 p.m.

as an aside pertaining to rossland, i would make sure you want to live in a ski town.  not everyone does.  a lot like to live down below and elsewhere, where regular people live (for lack of a better word).  a lot move there for some mountain bliss or whatever and live in this little bubble paradise and immediately snub their noses at other towns (trail, castlegar).  i noticed fernie people did this too to folks in sparwood.  maybe read the local papers first, to get a sense of the people, area, etc.

Sept. 26, 2017, 9:55 p.m.

Posted by: johnny_deformed

as an aside pertaining to rossland, i would make sure you want to live in a ski town.  not everyone does.  a lot like to live down below and elsewhere, where regular people live (for lack of a better word).  a lot move there for some mountain bliss or whatever and live in this little bubble paradise and immediately snub their noses at other towns (trail, castlegar).  i noticed fernie people did this too to folks in sparwood.  maybe read the local papers first, to get a sense of the people, area, etc.

good point. i have considered castlegar too.

Sept. 26, 2017, 9:59 p.m.

the title of the thread is "decide my life" how can I do that if I like different things than you

Ferinstance every time I go there I can't wait to get out of whistler but you may like it if you could afford it

and there is a whole lot of other bits to life you gotta consider than just skiing & biking

a lot of the pertinent info is in the first post and on the first page. whistler could work if i wanted keep on swinging hammers, but the cost of entry is too high to make it viable. squamish is closer in terms of a comfortable price, but at the cost of buy in i'd want to keep my city job and i'm not keen on the idea of commuting to the city everyday from squish. if anything i want to shorten my commute and the amoutn of time driving - not increase it. 

1. house
2. riding/sliding
3. access to good sportbike riding
4. jobs

Sept. 27, 2017, 11:13 a.m.

well that^^ is how it looks, but how does it "taste" so to speak, how do you feel about the place when you actualy have to live there,  or do you care ?

Sept. 27, 2017, 1:04 p.m.

up the valley they have a progressive riding club (they just put in a wheelchair-capable trail in new denver).  in fact i just found your place.  no land though

https://propertyguys.com/property/index/id/88365

Sept. 27, 2017, 1:59 p.m.

I think all these towns have a "locals vs. visitors" thing, which is BS that's as old as time.  It's like that episode of Flaked where the barista says "I'm a local - I've been here since 2010".

Sept. 27, 2017, 6:30 p.m.

we aren't like that here I take people out into the side country all the time at the ski hill, they live so far away  we're never gona see them again anyhow