NSMB decide my life - where to move to?

Sept. 20, 2017, 7:33 p.m.

kamloops is on hy 1 so its got good acess to getting around BC to alberta, its got a ski hill with lift acess mtn biking.

move to the narth west and its so far from major centers that its a fly in kind of place so shitty acces ... which is either bad or good

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 20, 2017, 7:34 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 20, 2017, 9:34 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: johnny_deformed

as for as rossland, i'm not sure you'll be getting land there for cheapish. there are lots of places near me that are affordable dumps with land. pass creek, slocan valley, blewett, etc. closer to rossland, you can look at fruitvale and montrose which are more rural.

Being from the city cheapish is relative and I should have been more clear in that land could simply be a standard lot for a house to sit on. I'm not necessarily looking for an acre or more.

whatever you do, when you buy a place mention how cheap it was and you don't have to work anymore...locals love that...haha

but seriously, around here at least, a lot of folks who grew up here abhor this new gentrification happening in their hoods, who used to blame albertans but now look to vancouverites as well...i dunno...maybe tread lightly maybe wherever you may be

but seriously seriously, the west koots is where it's at

Sept. 20, 2017, 10:04 p.m.

whatever you do, when you buy a place mention how cheap it was and you don't have to work anymore...locals love that...haha

but seriously, around here at least, a lot of folks who grew up here abhor this new gentrification happening in their hoods, who used to blame albertans but now look to vancouverites as well...i dunno...maybe tread lightly maybe wherever you may be

lol - no shit eh. it's not like I'm rolling in dough though, I live a pretty cheap lifestyle - 12 year old bikes ffs - and will be looking to buy more of a crack shack that needs work than a palatial mansion. 

one of the advantages of doing this tho is that whatever town I end up in I can hook up with the local trail association and say I can give you 20 hrs/wk, what do you want me to do?

Sept. 20, 2017, 10:05 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

yeah we love that here on the Island too. we're thrilled that you're rolling in dough and decided to join us now that you've had your fill of the LM.

sorry but the island is mostly too rich for me.

Sept. 21, 2017, 6 a.m.

guess that depends on where on the Island , one of my apprentices at work , his Mom and Dad have both moved back to the Island in the last 18mths . He was visiting them a few weeks back , houses are still dirt cheap he was saying , and is considering the move himself.

Sept. 21, 2017, 9 a.m.

yeah, there are places on the island with cheap housing, I'm just not sure how well the other factors like riding are taken care of. ideally I'm looking under $250K and don't want a mobile so my options are limited unless I'm looking at port alberni

Sept. 21, 2017, 9:32 a.m.

as for as rossland, i'm not sure you'll be getting land there for cheapish. there are lots of places near me that are affordable dumps with land. pass creek, slocan valley, blewett, etc. closer to rossland, you can look at fruitvale and montrose which are more rural.

Being from the city cheapish is relative and I should have been more clear in that land could simply be a standard lot for a house to sit on. I'm not necessarily looking for an acre or more.

what is known as the " amenity migrant " which are the people who find a cool place, move there and change/fuck it all up by altering RE prices jobs ect there are lots of articals/thesis on the subject.

In vangroovy the amenity migrants would probably be the mainland chinese money launderers, I used to roll thru Nelson in the mid 80's pre hippie and it radicaly changed/ Golden/Canmore/ all those towns that could be easily invaded by money rich albertans have been already

So the thing about being so far from major markets like Terrace or smithers is you are 13-15 hrs from any major markets so its keeping the riff raff out (and in) for a little longer but come winter  every week you will meet a guy & gal with a dog in a well used PU looking for that place they can afford and so the right people come and the right people stay

I am also an amenity migrant

Sept. 21, 2017, 11:06 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

,Right now i'm doing badly needed painting and flooring in the slum,

Wait, but, posing as slumlord? I'm confused.

Last edited by: tungsten on Sept. 21, 2017, 11:07 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 21, 2017, 11:18 a.m.

yeah, there are places on the island with cheap housing, I'm just not sure how well the other factors like riding are taken care of. ideally I'm looking under $250K and don't want a mobile so my options are limited unless I'm looking at port alberni

If you raise the ceiling to 300k, there's some choices in courtenay/comox that aren't bad for the single guy.  Lots of good riding close by.

Sept. 21, 2017, 11:19 a.m.

^ call it being multi-faceted.

I think 250,000 doesn't get you much in Smithers these days.

Sept. 21, 2017, 11:54 a.m.

Rossland

Golden

Kamloops
Revelstoke

I can only talk about these 4.

Rossland is hotter than Satan's taint in the summer and the trails are all a bit old school.  It is a tiny town that sits above the pit that is Trail. Red has suffered from the warm weather like everyone else.  Maybe a bit worse because it is so far south. Take a hard look before moving there.

Golden might be the cheapest option, but as it is in the valley I don't know about an acre.  Maybe down the highway a bit?  Golden itself is a bit of a dump but has great access for everything.  Mt. 7 for riding on top of KHMR for the lift.  Pop down the highway to Invermere (mt. Swansea for riding, Panorama for year round lift access, big alpine riding access).  Go a bit further and you've got Fernie and Revy is 1.5 hours away in winter.  1hr 15min in Summer.

Kamloops is kind of a centre so the closest to a city for you.  Lots of riding, Sun Peaks, etc.  It is really redneck though so maybe check the culture before moving. So, so many rednecks...

Revelstoke's days as a cheap town are long gone.  The riding, skiing, and back country access is by far the best, but you pay for it.  It has a working economy between the dam, rail, and tourism.  No super deals to be had and an acre would be tough (valley again) but it is a great little town.

For a budget I'd say Golden is tough to beat and for lifestyle Revy is sweet.

Sept. 21, 2017, noon

If I could get out of the rat race I am caught up in in Victoria, I would move to Cumberland in a heartbeat. Relatively cheap real estate, great and progressive riding, great MTB scene, close to MT. Washington. Small town but close enough to Courteney/Comox. Cool article in the Bike magazine photo annual about Cumberland.

Sept. 21, 2017, 1:23 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: XXX_er

,Right now i'm doing badly needed painting and flooring in the slum,

Wait, but, posing as slumlord? I'm confused.

yeah I moved here for the amenities ski/paddle/bike with no job to speak of, I could get by without working if i wanted but you gotta do something so I also do or have done a little construction, expediting, forestry tech, surveyors helper, driving Raft & fishermen shuttles, fix a few dry suits, but hell will freeze over before I fix another computer, lots of folks up here have multiple jobs cuz often a company can't give a full weeks work or its a seasonal gig,

The suite deal is extra income , so IME/IMO you want to find a house that has good suite potential which would be a daylight basement with lotsa windows, 8' ceilings, separate entrance, lots of good parking, close to downtown all the reasons that people will want to live there and yeah my tennants are down there painting and its not really  a slum

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 21, 2017, 1:32 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 21, 2017, 4:33 p.m.

Posted by: L.Hutz.Esq.

^ call it being multi-faceted.

I think 250,000 doesn't get you much in Smithers these days.

A friend just bought a house there for 180K. Decent shape.

Hey Syncro, I hope it and sure it will work out for you. I love it here, but also wanna get out also. Unfortunately my job doesn't really exist outside of Metro Van so..... Sitting at my desk here in Burnaby, looking at google maps traffic the Ironworkers has been a shit show all day and still fukd..... looks like I will be working late rather than sitting in that shit. Live the dream, escape the madness!!!!

Last edited by: bux-bux on Sept. 21, 2017, 4:34 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 21, 2017, 4:57 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux
A friend just bought a house there for 180K. Decent shape.

Hey Syncro, I hope it and sure it will work out for you. I love it here, but also wanna get out also. Unfortunately my job doesn't really exist outside of Metro Van so..... Sitting at my desk here in Burnaby, looking at google maps traffic the Ironworkers has been a shit show all day and still fukd..... looks like I will be working late rather than sitting in that shit. Live the dream, escape the madness!!!!

haha - I was supposed to head over to the shore just after lunch to work on a job for a few hours before heading downtown. I got about 2 mins from home and was WTF is up with this traffic! I turned out the radio and heard about the bridge accident so I said f that and went home and took the bike out for an extended spin on my way downtown to my other job instead. 

There are a bunch of factors precipitating this move, one of which is my job with the city - the schedule sucks and I basically never get a chance to do anything. So when I started looking around I noticed you could find houses in all those places for or under that $250K budget, but I might need to be patient and I would probably need to put in some elbow grease. I'd honestly rather by a shitbox in a good location and reno it to what I want tho so that kinda works in my advantage.