NSMB decide my life - where to move to?

Sept. 21, 2017, 5:01 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i spouted off out of line, no judgement on you mate. i hope you find the right place and a good fit for you.

no worries. it's something I have in the back of my mind as I've gone through the same thing here in metro van where any hope of owning a house is loooooog gone.

Sept. 21, 2017, 5:17 p.m.

Posted by: jitenshakun

Posted by: syncro

Rossland

Golden

Kamloops
Revelstoke

I can only talk about these 4.

Rossland is hotter than Satan's taint in the summer and the trails are all a bit old school.  It is a tiny town that sits above the pit that is Trail. Red has suffered from the warm weather like everyone else.  Maybe a bit worse because it is so far south. Take a hard look before moving there.

Golden might be the cheapest option, but as it is in the valley I don't know about an acre.  Maybe down the highway a bit?  Golden itself is a bit of a dump but has great access for everything.  Mt. 7 for riding on top of KHMR for the lift.  Pop down the highway to Invermere (mt. Swansea for riding, Panorama for year round lift access, big alpine riding access).  Go a bit further and you've got Fernie and Revy is 1.5 hours away in winter.  1hr 15min in Summer.

Kamloops is kind of a centre so the closest to a city for you.  Lots of riding, Sun Peaks, etc.  It is really redneck though so maybe check the culture before moving. So, so many rednecks...

Revelstoke's days as a cheap town are long gone.  The riding, skiing, and back country access is by far the best, but you pay for it.  It has a working economy between the dam, rail, and tourism.  No super deals to be had and an acre would be tough (valley again) but it is a great little town.

For a budget I'd say Golden is tough to beat and for lifestyle Revy is sweet.

I've been to visit Rossland a few times in the summer for riding so that's part of the appeal. I missed out on a sweet deal there not too long ago with a property that would have been perfect for running a mtb focused BnB. There's a cheapish place in Golden outside of town with enough land that I could put a moto track in the backyard and of course the riding/sliding there is good as well. Not sure about Golden as a town tho. Kamloops offers the most in terms of work, but I'm not super crazy on the redneck thing - but I do know a few good people who live up there so that might soften the culture shock. Revy has some cheap opportunities, but if I find work before I go could definitely up the budget. 

Part of the idea of this move is retiring now instead of 15-20 years from now. A house with a suite to pay the bills and maybe working a couple days per week for pocket cash and a new bike every 3 years or so.

Sept. 21, 2017, 5:39 p.m.

when ever i am in vancover driving its a shit show, when i get onto the hy way to leave I feel better, i feel better still after abotsford and better still after chiliwack and I feel really good once I am on the bridge ... beyond hope

180K in smitehrs sounds pretty low I dont think you would be putting a suite in something that cheap? And where is it i had a buddy living out of town in Quick with a small house, only a 350$ mortgage but he was spending 600$ a month on fuel bwhich is the same as a 950$ mortgage, which is why you wana be in town to decrease costs, I think you are better off to spend a little more and have the income

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 21, 2017, 5:45 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 21, 2017, 7:04 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

180K in smitehrs sounds pretty low I dont think you would be putting a suite in something that cheap? And where is it i had a buddy living out of town in Quick with a small house, only a 350$ mortgage but he was spending 600$ a month on fuel bwhich is the same as a 950$ mortgage, which is why you wana be in town to decrease costs, I think you are better off to spend a little more and have the income

there are more options in Terrace but here's some that fit the bill in Smithers

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18384274/3692-1ST-AVENUE-Smithers-British-Columbia-V0J2N0

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18628318/1573-MAIN-STREET-Smithers-British-Columbia-V0J2N3

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18407942/4031-ALFRED-AVENUE-Smithers-British-Columbia-V0J2N0

there are some other options too depending on how low one's standards are

Sept. 21, 2017, 8:30 p.m.

this thread prompted me to check out places in and around the Comox Valley. i've lost touch with current prices. gone up more than i realized, but there are a few listings under 300.  north Island around Sayward and north would have many options, however there is no mtn biking up there. i don't think there are any women either.

that's where acreage would help, could keep a flock of sheep...

Sept. 21, 2017, 9:40 p.m.

there are more options in Terrace but here's some that fit the bill in Smithers

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18384274/3692-1ST-AVENUE-Smithers-British-Columbia-V0J2N0

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18628318/1573-MAIN-STREET-Smithers-British-Columbia-V0J2N3

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18407942/4031-ALFRED-AVENUE-Smithers-British-Columbia-V0J2N0

there are some other options too depending on how low one's standards are

terrace is  a bigger town so more options

of the 3 you listed IMO the 1st one is too old so I would give a pass

the second one doesn't look too bad in town on main and has room for a suite

the last one is about right around the corner  4 doors  from me right,  probably the best of the 3

IMO those mid 70's 2 story 3 bedroom houses such as the last  are good candidates for doing  a suite

Sept. 21, 2017, 10:07 p.m.

the last one is about right around the corner  4 doors  from me right,  probably the best of the 3

IMO those mid 70's 2 story 3 bedroom houses such as the last  are good candidates for doing  a suite

fuck we could be neighbours? I'm putting in a cash offer first thing tomorrow morning!

realistically, smithers and terrace are on the bottom of the list when it comes to possible relocation sites.

Sept. 22, 2017, 7:03 a.m.

this thread prompted me to check out places in and around the Comox Valley. i've lost touch with current prices. gone up more than i realized, but there are a few listings under 300.  north Island around Sayward and north would have many options, however there is no mtn biking up there. i don't think there are any women either.

I like Sayward, the drive back to CR can get brutal in the winter, I just checked cumberland and yeah nothing even comes up under 300k. ouch.

Sept. 22, 2017, 7:03 a.m.

I like Sayward, the drive back to CR can get brutal in the winter, I just checked cumberland and yeah nothing even comes up under 300k. ouch.

Sept. 22, 2017, 9:33 a.m.

Posted by: jitenshakun

Rossland

Golden

Kamloops
Revelstoke

I can only talk about these 4.

Rossland is hotter than Satan's taint in the summer and the trails are all a bit old school.  It is a tiny town that sits above the pit that is Trail. Red has suffered from the warm weather like everyone else.  Maybe a bit worse because it is so far south. Take a hard look before moving there.

Golden might be the cheapest option, but as it is in the valley I don't know about an acre.  Maybe down the highway a bit?  Golden itself is a bit of a dump but has great access for everything.  Mt. 7 for riding on top of KHMR for the lift.  Pop down the highway to Invermere (mt. Swansea for riding, Panorama for year round lift access, big alpine riding access).  Go a bit further and you've got Fernie and Revy is 1.5 hours away in winter.  1hr 15min in Summer.

Kamloops is kind of a centre so the closest to a city for you.  Lots of riding, Sun Peaks, etc.  It is really redneck though so maybe check the culture before moving. So, so many rednecks...

Revelstoke's days as a cheap town are long gone.  The riding, skiing, and back country access is by far the best, but you pay for it.  It has a working economy between the dam, rail, and tourism.  No super deals to be had and an acre would be tough (valley again) but it is a great little town.

For a budget I'd say Golden is tough to beat and for lifestyle Revy is sweet.

I've been to visit Rossland a few times in the summer for riding so that's part of the appeal. I missed out on a sweet deal there not too long ago with a property that would have been perfect for running a mtb focused BnB. There's a cheapish place in Golden outside of town with enough land that I could put a moto track in the backyard and of course the riding/sliding there is good as well. Not sure about Golden as a town tho. Kamloops offers the most in terms of work, but I'm not super crazy on the redneck thing - but I do know a few good people who live up there so that might soften the culture shock. Revy has some cheap opportunities, but if I find work before I go could definitely up the budget. 

Part of the idea of this move is retiring now instead of 15-20 years from now. A house with a suite to pay the bills and maybe working a couple days per week for pocket cash and a new bike every 3 years or so.

I like Golden, a couple Whistler roommates from back in the day live there and work at Kicking Horse. So have been there a few times and it has a cool scene. Killer riding too.

I'm not crazy about Kamloops, the people are nice but it reminds me of Bakersfield California, a giant truck stop.  Heffley lake or Whitecroft would be good, but prices have skyrocketed there just like everywhere in B.C.

The wife and I were talking about a MTB BnB also. Could be so dope. Do shuttles, guide... have a great backyard fire pit, hot tub, and all that shit. In the slow season.... ski.

I guy can dream......

Sept. 22, 2017, 10:01 a.m.

If you're looking for a fixer-upper, then for $250K you can get a place in Campbell River / Courtenay.  It's a beautiful area to live. They have all the amenities, and you can MTB pretty much year round.  You'd have ample work to choose from given your trade.

Seriously, it's a gorgeous part of the province.

Sept. 22, 2017, 10:18 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

I like Golden, a couple Whistler roommates from back in the day live there and work at Kicking Horse. So have been there a few times and it has a cool scene. Killer riding too.

I'm not crazy about Kamloops, the people are nice but it reminds me of Bakersfield California, a giant truck stop.  Heffley lake or Whitecroft would be good, but prices have skyrocketed there just like everywhere in B.C.

The wife and I were talking about a MTB BnB also. Could be so dope. Do shuttles, guide... have a great backyard fire pit, hot tub, and all that shit. In the slow season.... ski.

I guy can dream......

good to know, maybe Golden deserves a closer look. I haven't spent much time in Kamloops and it's been years since I've ridden there but the truck stop analogy fits. I'll have to chat with the two people I know who live there - both are metro Van ex-pats.

bux-bux in the right place the BnB could host skiers/boarders too, no reason you can't generate that income year round.

Sept. 22, 2017, 11:59 a.m.

the last one is about right around the corner 4 doors from me right, probably the best of the 3

IMO those mid 70's 2 story 3 bedroom houses such as the last are good candidates for doing a suite

fuck we could be neighbours? I'm putting in a cash offer first thing tomorrow morning!

realistically, smithers and terrace are on the bottom of the list when it comes to possible relocation sites.

well they are not in the middle of no where but you can see the middle of nowhere if that matters, its impossible to know from the small amount of research you have at least done exactly where you wana move but in any case it shows you what is possible, maybe you wana go somewhere and hang before you buy ?

I waited 5 yrs before I bought at which point prices had come down after the 2008 world meltdown SO I could afford to get in the market without having a job

the suite was a big thing cuz without the extra income I would probably have had to get a job

BTW its good to move to a town that is a real town as opposed to a resort town like say whistler or jasper or banfffff

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 22, 2017, 12:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 25, 2017, 8:48 a.m.

My experience with those towns is that people that get there to ride are self-sufficient. The BnB/guide/hand holding thing seems to work best when you can get tourists off a plane. More realistically, a house with a suite to rent to a working local is a better bet. It supports the town and gives you a steady revenue stream without dealing with bookings all the time. It'd also mean you can get away instead of playing in keeper inn the high season.

A buddy had a full house in Rossland and after 2 years of trying to generate rental income he gave up and sold it.

Last edited by: jitenshakun on Sept. 25, 2017, 8:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 25, 2017, 12:28 p.m.

Exactly ^^ Lee and Sharon have already been here/ blogged it and all the beta is on their site for both the summer and winter activities, where to ride where to stay where to eat and there are others

Maybe you can do a shuttle for some bike trails or rides to the ski hill to generate some income but realisticaly not a whole bunch so I am inclined to agree

I have a friend running a BnB and it generated some great income in aug but thats the summer season and not every month was like that also consider she had to spend at least 1hr a day to clean/do laundry/change beds yada yada so YES you can make more money than with a suite IF the traffic was there BUT you gotta be there to make that money

whereas all I did was collect the rent every month, I didn't even go in my suite for 4 years, I can leave for a month and still the place is generating a steady income year after year

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 25, 2017, 12:35 p.m., edited 1 time in total.