Novel Study

Dec. 19, 2005, 10:36 p.m.

So I have a novel study coming up… I'm supposed to read the book over christmas break. I'm not too sure if there'll be requirements for the book but I figured I ask now anyways.

Guys What are some awsome fiction books to read?
The last book I read that I totally loved was Oryx and Crake, but i'm always down for books you just HAVE to read because its so awsome.
suggestions please.

Dec. 19, 2005, 10:44 p.m.

The Mysterious Incident of the Dog in the Night

One of the best books I've read in a LONG time.

I hate gnarwhale.com a lot.

bike mag sucks, so do one footers

i think your just jealous

Dec. 19, 2005, 10:44 p.m.

Fight Club!!

Adrenalize

Dec. 19, 2005, 10:51 p.m.

A Fine Balance- Rohinton Mistry

The best fiction I have ever read. Basically, it tells the story of some people in india, one an upper caste widow, and two others who are lower caste workers. It's very fascinating, and really well told.

Dec. 20, 2005, 2:59 p.m.

Fight Club!!

NOVEL study.

not "story so good but so short I read it in 2 hours."
:crazy:

Dec. 20, 2005, 6:16 p.m.

www.sparknotes.com

Dec. 20, 2005, 6:47 p.m.

Not being sure of your exact reading level here are a few quick but good reads:
Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
White Noise by Don Delillo
The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino

If you're younger than I'm guessing:
Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

I'm reading
Guerrilas by VS Naipaul at the moment…really damn good.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Dec. 20, 2005, 7:17 p.m.

Filth by Irving Welsh…..

always good for an interesting book report…..

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 20, 2005, 7:19 p.m.

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

Dec. 20, 2005, 7:19 p.m.

The Mysterious Incident of the Dog in the Night

One of the best books I've read in a LONG time.

I agree. So many things you could study in it too, lots of fodder for your paper in there.

Hey Nastradamus by Douglas is also great.

Dec. 20, 2005, 7:20 p.m.

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

Stellar book.

Dec. 20, 2005, 7:34 p.m.

Second vote for Catcher in the Rye. A must read, and short enough to read over the break.

Here's some classics that I'd recommend:
The Sun Also Rises, Hemmingway - great boozer book
The Old Man and the Sea, Hemmingway - classic man against nature
Crime [HTML_REMOVED] Punishment, Dostoyevsky - if you can handle the bleakness of Russian literature. A bit long though if you don't have the time.
The Turn of the Screw, Henry James - a little hard to follow at times, but excellent literature

Dec. 20, 2005, 7:52 p.m.

I've heard of very few of these books, but some inquirys proved effective.
I'm 17, but I can read anything aslong as its english(old english or w/e shakespeare wrote in acceptable aswell)

Anything a lil more sci-fi ish?
I'm all for epic philosophical questions.

Dec. 20, 2005, 8 p.m.

'Notes From Undergound' and 'The Gambler' are both good short reads, I finished them both in a single sitting. Both are only only around 100 pages, maybe a bit over. I've got 'House Of The Dead', just havent gotten to it yet. Dostoyevsky is really good cause of his intense characters and stuff, you gotta dig the style though. I guess you could say 'Notes From Underground' is a little philosophical, but more (in my opinion) of a character study. The first half gets a little philosophical, second is more story based.

'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess is a good book. (i hope thats the right author haha i forget), but it's what i would reccomend for your project. short, semi-philosophical and interesting. plus, it's got a movie to go along with it so that always made novel studys easier.

I've heard 'Anthem' by Amy Rand is alright and 'Atlas Shrugged' is supposed to be amazing, except it's 1200 pages long.

'Dune' by Frank Herbert is really good, and I don't even like science fiction.

'1984' is pretty standard high school reading but both authors have alot of other stuff. I've read '1984', 'Animal Farm', 'Road To Wigan Pier', 'Down And Out In Paris And London', 'Assorted Essays'. All are good, but you have to like George Orwell's style. It's pretty dry wit and almost reads like a newspaper article in places. I wanna read 'Homage To Catalonia'. George Orwell is the only way to roll.

'A Brave New World' by Alduous Huxley is pretty good, but once again it's standard high school reading. He has other books I havent read about him experimenting with drugs and stuff, so I dunno what you mean by "philosophical" questions because i think alot of people would consider that philosophical (depending on your definition).

have you read, and what did you think of???
'Heart Of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad
'The Iron Heel' by Jack London
'Hadji Murad' by Leo Tolstoy
oh, and is hemmingway any good? I've got an old copy of 'The Old Man And The Sea' kicking around but it looked kinda lame haha

Dec. 20, 2005, 8:01 p.m.

You mean A Prayer for Ownen Meany.

Stellar book.

My bad, its been a couple years since I last read it.