Noob 4x4ing?

Feb. 13, 2017, 9:48 a.m.

Mines a 02, it was at 230K when the engine let go and I'm at 250 now.
What I think happened is that the catalyst came apart internally and with the cats close proximity to the heads, all the dust and debris got scavenged back into the engine and took out my rings. It had been burning lots of oil up to that point. I got the doug thorley log tube headers that eliminate the cats along with a new clutch when i did the rebuild, I know this thing inside and out now which is sweet cause i tend to also take it to far off places, it's always in the back of my mind though… ah shit what if the fuel pump quits way out here thats a long walk haha. I've finally got myself a bit of a trouble kit with full tool set and compressor/chainsaw.

Buddy of mine had the same thing happen, only he caught it slightly earlier than I did.. only he was still to late cause now it has some nasty piston slap when it's cold and also burning lots of oil (1L per thousand k) so I wouldnt dick around if you see that code get rid of them things)

If you've changed the dizzy you should be good to go! The knock sensor doesnt really do a whole fuck of a lot on the N/A engines, but on the supercharged ones it retards timing and limits boost if its blown.
for maintenance, these things are supppper picky about spark plugs, they have to be the NGK's that the owners manual recommends.
I like to run Mobil 1 for oil and avoid fram filters like the plague.. Mobil 1 makes a good filter as well (I always look for the ones that come plastic wrapped)
I changed my MAF sensor a few weeks ago and have basically got an extra 100KM of HWY range per gas tank and way more power.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 13, 2017, 11:44 a.m.

Good advice on the MAF sensor,these things are bad enough on fuel as it is. Go to Nissan or is a jobber okay? Good to know about the plugs,I'm going to attempt those myself this spring. Mines a bit heavier with a lift,ARB winch bumper,8000lb warn winch,and sliders so advice on mileage is appreciated.

Feb. 13, 2017, 11:59 a.m.

Good advice on the MAF sensor,these things are bad enough on fuel as it is. Go to Nissan or is a jobber okay? Good to know about the plugs,I'm going to attempt those myself this spring. Mines a bit heavier with a lift,ARB winch bumper,8000lb warn winch,and sliders so advice on mileage is appreciated.

I went to Lordco, ask for a hitachi, it's the same as OEM. It helps to know an account that gets a good discount, mine was 170 after taxes, which will have paid for itself by the time I do my next oil change.

Doing the plugs isn't too bad, I can do mine in a half hour.. the trick is you need a 3 inch wobbly extension, a universal joint and then a 6 inch extension.. plus you kinda gotta lay across the engine bay haha.

I mean its never gunna get great mileage, but mine was horrendous I went from 18L hwy to 13L.
Plus I was having the wierdest power delivery problem for the longest time.. I could never figure out exactly what was happening, but now its obvious that my MAF sensor wasn't giving accurate information so the computer wasnt injecting the proper amount of fuel. it would just kinda fall on its face between 2-3 grand. never threw a code or nothing either..

Another thing to check is your Idle speed. plug in a scanner and see what it idles at when its warm ideally you want it around 725-750. you adjust it by this plastic screw (it's kind of a POS) in the Idle air valve.. which you could also pull off and soak it in some carb cleaner to clean it up if your idle is a bit erratic/not smooth.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 13, 2017, 1:07 p.m.

Yeah, they're only P rated. They look off-road-y, but they're pretty flimsy. I've heard a few horror stories. Tough convincing the wife to get new tires for a brand new truck though :lol: Until then I plan on babying them.

I believe you have an angle now.

Feb. 13, 2017, 2:42 p.m.

…I mean its never gunna get great mileage, but mine was horrendous I went from 18L hwy to 13L…

wow…and here for the last couple weeks I was complaining about going from 8.8/100 to 9.6/100 when I was running around with the hubs locked!

Mind you, I'm lucky if I can hit 95kmh going downhill with a tail wind!

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Feb. 13, 2017, 5:31 p.m.

I can do 140k downhill towards the snowshed,but its horrifying. The lift does not help.

Feb. 13, 2017, 6:07 p.m.

I can do 140k downhill towards the snowshed,but its horrifying. The lift does not help.

no lift - '95 suzuki sidekick 4 door…I only have 4 limited displacement hamsters powering it!

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Feb. 13, 2017, 6:25 p.m.

Ya I dont like to go over 100, but I didn't buy it to drive fast. It's sweet to pull the malahat 5th gear no problems again (thanks maf sensor)

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 15, 2017, 7:17 p.m.

So when you got rid of the cats with the long tubes,are you always showing a CEL or are you using some type of 02 simulator or?

Feb. 15, 2017, 7:37 p.m.

I got some cheater bungs that take the down stream o² sensors out of the direct exhaust stream. (L shaped tubes that thread in to where they normally go) never threw a check engine light for those ones.

I did run I to trouble with the upstream ones.. it would sputter for a bit then throw a code for upstream O² sensors, and I think voltage high I forget the exact code but I traced it to a shitty ground, so I made up a harness to go from the engine ground to one exhaust stud on each bank.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 16, 2017, 7:30 a.m.

You gotta watch it with the forward ones. The o2 sensor is needed so the ECU can set your air/fuel as opposed to checking emissions.

Feb. 21, 2017, 12:58 p.m.

https://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/cto/6013582684.html

Hell of a deal for someone that likes Delica vans. I don't have space for it or I'd pick it up for a laugh.

April 7, 2017, 11:08 a.m.

So this is actually coming to market.

http://www.chevrolet.ca/colorado-zr2-off-road-truck.html

April 8, 2017, 2:04 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

So this is actually coming to market.

http://www.chevrolet.ca/colorado-zr2-off-road-truck.html

Neat that it exists. Can't think of anywhere I could go out and use it on a weekend. Pretty cool if you live in a place with wide open terrain.

April 9, 2017, 1 p.m.

that chev looks pretty sick.. wonder what the dealers will actually charge for them once they realize they wont be able to keep em in stock