Noob 4x4ing?

Nov. 18, 2016, 12:13 p.m.

Sorry Punky and Co.

No Offense, black looks grea when its clean. Just any scratches, door dings can be seen a mile away. Hate that.

I have a silver x, it doent really scratch but man I hate silver. Gunmetal gray ftw.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 18, 2016, 12:29 p.m.

Oops…

Ditto jbazett, KO2's for me in short order.

Love my ko2s

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 19, 2016, 5:32 p.m.

Bullshit that the 2017 Pro4X Frontier has fog lights as a $284+installation additional charge. And the tow hook is extra.

Might try Good-Year DuraTracs as my next tire. Nothing wrong with BFG ATs or the Nitto TerraGrapplers I've ran. The TGs may lack more aggressive styling compared to other tires. I've heard great things about the DTs from the wheeling community.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 19, 2016, 6:38 p.m.

Bullshit that the 2017 Pro4X Frontier has fog lights as a $284+installation additional charge. And the tow hook is extra.

Might try Good-Year DuraTracs as my next tire. Nothing wrong with BFG ATs or the Nitto TerraGrapplers I've ran. The TGs may lack more aggressive styling compared to other tires. I've heard great things about the DTs from the wheeling community.

I would compare them to any Mud terrain tire, okay on road performance in the dry. Rain not that great, loud under braking, Haven't tried them in the snow yet, but I will be driving to Nelson for Christmas, so I'll let you know how that goes. I'm not predicting good results. In the dirt they do a good job of digging in and moving forward not too soft and not too hard. Rocks don't rip chunks off yet, so that's a plus, I haven't had a chance to wheel it that much, but with the rear locker it doesn't struggle very often. I suspect my willingness to damage the truck will hold me back more than the trucks capabilities.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Nov. 19, 2016, 6:55 p.m.

I've had two sets of KOs that have never left me stranded. Wear was ok but not great: roughly 60,000 kms on each set but this included alot of FSR shuttling. Not a flat once, several nails fixed with plugs but nothing else. Lots of 4x4ing at 15psi or less.

Just got a set of K02s which are reported to have a longer life. If these last as long, I'll still be happy. I was tempted to buy some Coopers because the tread depth was considerably deeper but having never tried the KO2s I decided to give them one more try.

Nov. 20, 2016, 12:03 a.m.

From reading online the DTs are stud ready. Something about internal dimples or something.
Shop I buy my tires from said ATs either delam super quick or time out (which mine did).

Looking on car id this evening the header image when 2017 Frontier is selected isn't what is being sold to us.

Nissan needed to throw the transmission from the VQ56 into the Fronty/X a few years back.

Next time I'm at the old ladies house I might swing into Nissan and have a peak at things. Really keen to see a Titan XD…

Jan. 6, 2017, 8:46 p.m.

With winter conditions being in full effect, it might be a good idea to navigate the icy/snowy backroads with tire chains on.

Also picked up a NOCO Li jumper pack to throw in my truck. Supposed to hold a charge for a year

Jan. 9, 2017, 6:23 p.m.

With winter conditions being in full effect, it might be a good idea to navigate the icy/snowy backroads with tire chains on.

Also picked up a NOCO Li jumper pack to throw in my truck. Supposed to hold a charge for a year

Good call. Last time out it was a mess, diff lock finally came in handy. I need to make a point of carrying a bucket of salt, sand and a shovel. Have foil blankets tucked away at least, my lack of preparation is going to bite my ass one day.

Jan. 9, 2017, 7:37 p.m.

I would compare them to any Mud terrain tire, okay on road performance in the dry. Rain not that great, loud under braking, Haven't tried them in the snow yet, but I will be driving to Nelson for Christmas, so I'll let you know how that goes. I'm not predicting good results. In the dirt they do a good job of digging in and moving forward not too soft and not too hard. Rocks don't rip chunks off yet, so that's a plus, I haven't had a chance to wheel it that much, but with the rear locker it doesn't struggle very often. I suspect my willingness to damage the truck will hold me back more than the trucks capabilities.

Well Christmas is over and I made it to Summerland+Nelson+Summerland=Vancouver. The Goodyear DuraTrac's did quite well, to my surprise. They handled the snow on the highways fine. The ice they're okay…. It is a Mud terrain tire! The slushy wet slop is where they shine the best, they cut through the mush and bite in.
The Frontier is a way better truck than the Ford Sport trac it replaced, which isn't a shock. The only thing I would like different is a rear axle with a limited slip. The e locker that is in there is great bit of fun, but when your just driving around the open diff is less than stellar in the snow, and then the traction control kicks in and steals all the fun. Yes you can turn that off… but I'm used to old school tech and this new fangled stuff is kinda sterile.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Jan. 10, 2017, 9:13 a.m.

Well Christmas is over and I made it to Summerland+Nelson+Summerland=Vancouver. The Goodyear DuraTrac's did quite well, to my surprise. They handled the snow on the highways fine. The ice they're okay…. It is a Mud terrain tire! The slushy wet slop is where they shine the best, they cut through the mush and bite in.
The Frontier is a way better truck than the Ford Sport trac it replaced, which isn't a shock. The only thing I would like different is a rear axle with a limited slip. The e locker that is in there is great bit of fun, but when your just driving around the open diff is less than stellar in the snow, and then the traction control kicks in and steals all the fun. Yes you can turn that off… but I'm used to old school tech and this new fangled stuff is kinda sterile.

Been looking at the PRo4x. Great feedback

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 10, 2017, 11:18 a.m.

Been looking at the PRo4x. Great feedback

For the price it's a good truck. Gas mileage in town is a sore point thou, don't expect good things. On the Highway to Nelson in 4x4 drive I got 13L/100km which isn't that bad in my books.

Jan. 10, 2017, 12:16 p.m.

The moon has a smaller turning circle though.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 10, 2017, 3 p.m.

The only thing I would like different is a rear axle with a limited slip. The e locker that is in there is great bit of fun, but when your just driving around the open diff is less than stellar in the snow, and then the traction control kicks in and steals all the fun. Yes you can turn that off… but I'm used to old school tech and this new fangled stuff is kinda sterile.

Word has it that installing an e-locker switch for a 2WD model allows the locker to be used in 2WD, 4Hi and 4Lo.

For the price it's a good truck. Gas mileage in town is a sore point thou, don't expect good things. On the Highway to Nelson in 4x4 drive I got 13L/100km which isn't that bad in my books.

I'm getting ~400km/60L+ right now :(

Need to order and change out the plugs though.

The moon has a smaller turning circle though.

:lol:

I need to see photos of a Pro4X CrewCab with a MX or sled in the back.
Also unsure if I can stomach the asking price of a Pro4X considering the vehicle has changed the front clip and added leather seats in 11 years…

Jan. 10, 2017, 4:48 p.m.

Word has it that installing an e-locker switch for a 2WD model allows the locker to be used in 2WD, 4Hi and 4Lo.

I'm getting ~400km/60L+ right now :(

Need to order and change out the plugs though.

:lol:

I need to see photos of a Pro4X CrewCab with a MX or sled in the back.
Also unsure if I can stomach the asking price of a Pro4X considering the vehicle has changed the front clip and added leather seats in 11 years…

Yes the turning radius is terrible, but the steering feel while driving is nice for a truck.

My e locker works whenever I hit the switch.

One other thing is you can't hit the gas and the brake at the same time on my 2013 the comp control shuts that off in a hurry. No brake stands :(

Jan. 11, 2017, 7:59 a.m.

Yes the turning radius is terrible, but the steering feel while driving is nice for a truck.

My e locker works whenever I hit the switch.

One other thing is you can't hit the gas and the brake at the same time on my 2013 the comp control shuts that off in a hurry. No brake stands :(

If the "DIFF LOCK" light is flashing it's not engaged.