Noob 4x4ing?

Sept. 15, 2015, 9:11 p.m.

Tricouni is a nice area to explore. With a bit of clearance and decent tires and you can get close to the lake.

Ashlu is good as well. Good amount of exploring to be had out there. Parking at the old mine area and exploring on food is fun.

Stawamus/Indian FSR has some loose sections. Nice cruise out there. The washout at 24km is a bit rough. Only recommended if you know what your doing and have at least a second truck if things get exciting. Made it across with my Frontier this summer but had to pull a friend through with his Tacoma. We left a third truck on the Squamish side just in case.

Sept. 15, 2015, 11:02 p.m.

Stawamus/Indian FSR has some loose sections. Nice cruise out there. The washout at 24km is a bit rough. Only recommended if you know what your doing and have at least a second truck if things get exciting. Made it across with my Frontier this summer but had to pull a friend through with his Tacoma. We left a third truck on the Squamish side just in case.

yeah forgot about that one, it would be awesome right now before the snow flys.. really cool campsites lunch spots on indian arm at the end of it..
its a ways though, so going with a buddy in a second truck would be a good idea, or bring your mountain bikes as life rafts, Ive ridden that road Indian Arm to squamish a couple times its a pretty easy go

Im with Zed on the saw thing, if youre gonna explore, pickup a $250 buck little stijl or husky saw to throw in the back, and a good tug strap.. also make sure your spare is good and easy to get off the truck (not rusted on) flats are common on the FSRs around here. I also carry a couple cans of tire sealer, have given them out more than once to youngens with flats on the fsrs around harrison lake

Sept. 15, 2015, 11:50 p.m.

probably over budget and overkill(?)…but there was a rule that the first mod is a winch. but a jack-all is handy with a tow strap. tow/tug points front(most likely) and rear(like a hitch receiver tow shackle). safety first and preparedness and all that…have fun

Sept. 16, 2015, 3:12 a.m.

probably over budget and overkill(?)…but there was a rule that the first mod is a winch. but a jack-all is handy with a tow strap. tow/tug points front(most likely) and rear(like a hitch receiver tow shackle). safety first and preparedness and all that…have fun

I'd carry a good saw (24" bow saw is usually good enough), two 4' 2x6'. real spare or 2. shovel, axe, and a good strap before a winch. Not all straps are created equal. Farm jacks are awesome, but dangerous if your a noob.

Make sure you have people needs too. Water / food to spend the night. A military surplus wool blanket gos a long ways, its handy to lay on if you need to make a repair under the truck too. I always plan like I'll need to hike out, that way your good to go.

I usually have 20L water container too, helps cool a heat soaked rad in a pinch, and you can snub out a fire some dumbass left burning when you stumble on his campsite.

Sept. 16, 2015, 6:48 a.m.

Heres a couple Day trips from van:
Harrison Lake is great for 4x4 newby's, go up the east side from Morris Valley Road (off the Hemlock Mountain road) , amazing views and great picnic and camping at 20 Mile rec site..
Go up the west side from Harrison HotSprings, head towards Sasquatch Provincial Park, keep left uphill on the the gravel (you'll see rec site signs etc) at the turn off into the park.. 11 KM in is Cascade Point its beautiful camping and swimming

Furry Creek is really cool, easy drive up.. hit the gravel road above the golf course and keep going up till you hit the old mine site and mt shear townsite.. its fun to poke around there

Sylvester Road east of Mission has tons of views, gnar, everything you want
You gotta go 15kms or so on pavement then ban its goes gravel and uphill quickly after that You can get into Davis Lake only a few kms past the start of the gravel.. its fun going down to the lake if yer a newby (probably dont try it if its not dry) and you can get into staves east shore, buzz around on hill climbs etc
Note on Sylvester if you dont like guns its probably not a destination of choice lol

should be "if you don't like guns and silly rednecks" for sylvester rd

Sept. 16, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

This past weekend I took up my '98 Pathfinder to Molybdenite Peak [HTML_REMOVED] Lake. Nothing to gnar about the trail but when heading up to the peak there's little room for error. The trail is barely wide enough for one car with a hell of a tumble if you go over the bank. Beautiful views. I would recommend it to anyone. Although I would second guess about going with only one truck just in case something goes wrong. It's located just south of Lillooet.

Here's a few pics.

Sept. 16, 2015, 9:40 a.m.

Fuck yeah nbr needs more of this.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 16, 2015, 9:51 a.m.

Amazing photos and terrain J.Stubb!

Thanks for the info everyone! Also for the equipment needed as that's obviously high on the list to get configured. The first trip was relatively risk free (although anything can go wrong….) but I did get as far as checking that the spare wheel mechanism wasn't jammed and took a pump. We had food, water, jackets etc but more stuff needed. I'd wondered about tire sealant. I'm hoping a bow saw will be sufficient until we get totally rad to the power of gnar. Good call on 2x6s. Makes loads of sense. Any more suggestions welcome!

Oh and Open Street Map has way more info for sure. Managed to figure out how we got from Chance Creek FSR to Squamish Valley Rd, which according to other maps is impossible (I guess the small section of dirt road connector is a new addition).

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 16, 2015, 3:59 p.m.

Here's a few pics.

You need a 4x4 for that?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 16, 2015, 4:08 p.m.

You need a 4x4 for that?

Ask that again at the first waterbar.

Sept. 16, 2015, 4:18 p.m.

I did moly B on the moto a few times. Kudos guys driving full size rigs up that.

rode a similar road last week up called Dash Hill in the chilcotins takes you up to 2200 meters although i woudld say Molybedenite lake has better scenery but pretty much the same type of road and exposure

Sept. 16, 2015, 4:23 p.m.

view from Dash hill

Sept. 16, 2015, 4:24 p.m.

Moly b lake

Sept. 17, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

You need a 4x4 for that?

Ya you need a 4x4 for it. There's a couple of rough sections near the bottom you'd have problems with. And you'd probably just spin the wheels in the loose steep stuff.

Sept. 17, 2015, 9:46 a.m.

Moly b lake

We didn't actually get up the trail overlooking the lake that I think you're on in this pic. We attempted to but it deteriorates into a quad track basically. Was interesting backing down.