Non Boring Transportation Appliance?

Jan. 6, 2017, 6:09 a.m.

yeah when living in cowtown I always thought it was weird when people drove around their luxury vehicles in the winter. they get destroyed there. keep a beater around

Would I drive a 911 or M3 in the winter? Hell no! But a luxury SUV? Absolutely. That's what these things are designed for. As long as you're rinsing off the salt regularly (including the undercarriage) then there's really no issue. Not sure about other euro brands but BMW and VW have a 12 year unlimited mileage corrosion warranty and they don't restrict it according to the region where the car is driven.

Jan. 6, 2017, 7:43 a.m.

In Calgary it isn't abnormal to see M3/M4 and 911s all winter. Heck, the car spot in front of the bike rack at work is a guy's daily driver M3.

Jan. 12, 2017, 10:55 a.m.

Recently test drove a Toyota Highlander and was impressed. Was originally looking to buy used to save some money but it's crazy expensive the used ones are. Thinking about picking up a 2017 - they are expensive but you seem to get a lot (all models have the new Toyota Safety Sense P pre-collision system) so I think it would be good value in the long run. Anyone have any experience with the current generation (2014+) Highlander?

Jan. 12, 2017, 11:23 a.m.

Buy a Dodge today and hope for a payout tomorrow?

http://jalopnik.com/everything-we-know-so-far-about-jeep-and-ram-s-alleged-1791118844

Jan. 12, 2017, 11:42 a.m.

http://jalopnik.com/everything-we-know-so-far-about-jeep-and-ram-s-alleged-1791118844

No hope at all after Trump guts the EPA. ;)

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 12, 2017, 11:43 a.m.

As if FCA needs more problems.

More bailouts on the way for FCA if they are hit with costs in excess of 15Bn as is estimated for VW (http://jalopnik.com/volkswagens-dieselgate-settlement-will-cost-a-whopping-1782703916)

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Jan. 12, 2017, 7:25 p.m.

No hope at all after Trump guts the EPA. ;)

How many Tony's took jorbz away from Rust Belt-ians?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 15, 2017, 9:20 a.m.

Test drove a Mazda CX-9 on the weekend and was really impressed. A lot more fun to drive vs. the Highlander - feels very agile and quick, felt like I was driving a car, not an SUV. Only thing that I am slightly worried about is the cargo space. It has enough total cargo space for us for sure, but the cargo area is pretty short (in terms of height). Wondering if a bike would fit in the back (standing up with the front wheel removed). I'm pretty sure it would but going to measure first to be sure.

Any of you guys have a CX-9 or any experience with one? Would be looking at either 2016 or 2017 (they redesigned it in 2016 and the previous models are kind of ugly). Also curious about how the AWD system works in snow. The online reviews seem to say its pretty close to Subaru.

Jan. 17, 2017, 11:20 a.m.

I'd be in a Forester with the 2.0L turbo so it'd go like stink around town and on the highway. A Highlander would be better off road as the Forester is only really a car. Would I cross a shallow creek in a Highlander? Maybe. In a Forester? No way.

Having owned Subaru's AWD, Toyota's AWD, and Toyota's 4WD I can say Subaru's AWD is the best on snow and ice.

I don't know why you would do anything in a Highlander that you wouldn't do in a Forester. The Highlander is certainly not a truck, nor a proper SUV. It is built on a car chassis. Ditto the Forester, but its shorter wheelbase would make certain things marginally easier.

Agreed on Subie AWD. In bad snow conditions my WRX laughs while the SUVs follow each other in a line up the sea-to-sky, I'm makin' tracks and kickin' ass.

Jan. 17, 2017, 11:28 a.m.

strange you feel the explorer is too big, comparatively speaking it's not that much longer than the xt5

I drove one last year and it is significantly bigger than the older ones (like late 90s, early 00s version). However I was also impressed with it.

Jan. 17, 2017, 12:28 p.m.

I don't know why you would do anything in a Highlander that you wouldn't do in a Forester. The Highlander is certainly not a truck, nor a proper SUV. It is built on a car chassis.

I wasn't really basing it on any Science but the Highlander just looked like it'd have a bit more clearance. I guess Subaru's wheelbase might actually make better entry and exit angles and a more capable vehicle.

That the Highlander's passenger seat sits high and there isn't a sunroof delete made it all moot for me.

Jan. 22, 2017, 7:22 a.m.

Well, after many test drives and much deliberation the X5 won out. I just picked up a gently used one for a great deal, was almost a straight swap for my Tacoma (man those things hold their value)! It's not the top trim every option pimped out model, but all the basics are there and for my needs and uses it will do just fine. Big back seat, lots of cargo space, handles like a (tall) sports sedan and it's the diesel so great fuel efficiency as well. Even taking into consideration the higher maintenance costs I figure this car will save me $700-800 a year just in fuel and insurance alone. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions, good luck to the others that are still looking!

Feb. 10, 2017, 7:41 a.m.

Did anyone else notice that Nissan Canada quietly started selling the new regular Titan? I caught a lift in one last night and was surprised given I thought only the XD was available.

Feb. 10, 2017, 12:44 p.m.

Did anyone else notice that Nissan Canada quietly started selling the new regular Titan? I caught a lift in one last night and was surprised given I thought only the XD was available.

I'm liking those, They just released the extended cab version too.