Non Boring Transportation Appliance?

Jan. 3, 2017, 7:50 a.m.

It isn't that I feel it's too big, it's that my wife feels it's too big.

The thing is it isn't all in the numbers. The proportions of the vehicle, the driver position, and the controls can all make a vehicle feel smaller or larger when they aren't that different in size. For example, an MKX and Q5 are very similar in size and the Q5 felt great while the MKX was cramped.

The HUD in the XT5 adds confidence as it pulls your eyes down the road instead of trying to watch sensors on your mirrors or images on the screen. This helps make the vehicle feel "smaller".

Of what I drove there weren't any bad cars. At the end of the day a big piece of it was what felt best for my wife, and what feels best for one person will differ for someone else.

Jan. 3, 2017, 9:08 a.m.

Did your wife find the Pathfinder too big as well? We test drove one of those a few months ago and liked it, but couldn't get a good price for our Santa Fe so didn't end up pulling the trigger.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Jan. 3, 2017, 9:22 a.m.

Yeah, Pathfinder was too big. We just don't need a 7 passenger rig.

I wish the F-Pace was out as it looks like a solid option. First gen is dicey though.

Jan. 3, 2017, 9:53 a.m.
  • Audi Q5 (SQ5 too) Great driver feel and seating position. 3.0L nice smooth power. Very light on luxury. You'll feel every break in the pavement and it only has a single power point in the front. For an add on you can get a dongle in the glovebox for 2 USB. It's low level luxury was the deal breaker.
  • Subaru Forester (turbo) It's a nice car. The infotainment system is great and I love what it shows you. This car makes great use of its space for seating and visibility. It goes like stink and it is quiet inside (2017). Not just "quiet for a Subaru" but "very quiet for a $40k car". If it had more luxury we'd be up for it.

What is your opinion on the Q5 vs. the Forester XT aside from what you mention above? We haven't test driven anything yet but those are the two we are most interested in right now - would be looking at a used Q5 vs. a new or lightly used Forester XT. Thanks!

Jan. 3, 2017, 10:01 a.m.

Make sure you drive the 2017 Forester. Even the 2016 will have the classic Subaru noisy cabin so it won't compare well to the Q5. For a lightly used Q5 my Audi dealership had demos, which they have to sell as certified used so 6-year 160,000km warranty.

The Subaru sits lower on the road, but still has great visibility. Its power is much punchier than the 3.0L Q5 but both get you up to speed in the same amount of time/distance.

For the $15k difference (new) you'd really have to love the Q5 and want the slightly higher ride height. From a practical standpoint the 2017 Forester is tough to pass up.

Jan. 3, 2017, 10:20 a.m.

Make sure you drive the 2017 Forester. Even the 2016 will have the classic Subaru noisy cabin so it won't compare well to the Q5. For a lightly used Q5 my Audi dealership had demos, which they have to sell as certified used so 6-year 160,000km warranty.

The Subaru sits lower on the road, but still has great visibility. Its power is much punchier than the 3.0L Q5 but both get you up to speed in the same amount of time/distance.

For the $15k difference (new) you'd really have to love the Q5 and want the slightly higher ride height. From a practical standpoint the 2017 Forester is tough to pass up.

Thanks - yeah I was leaning towards the Forester anyways. My wife is more interested in the Q5 though because she thinks Subarus are ugly/lame hahaha.

Jan. 3, 2017, 12:39 p.m.

Keep an eye out for the Jaguar F-pace. It's pricing looks good for the segment and it has gobs of power.

Also, the new Q5s should be landing in the Spring so the current inventory should see clearouts. The new ones are supposed to have more features though…

Jan. 3, 2017, 3:22 p.m.

Thanks - yeah I was leaning towards the Forester anyways. My wife is more interested in the Q5 though because she thinks Subarus are ugly/lame hahaha.

Is the Outback too small? It's a nice vehicle that also has decent gas mileage.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 3, 2017, 3:38 p.m.

Is the Outback too small? It's a nice vehicle that also has decent gas mileage.

The Outback is bigger than the Forester… at first I was thinking about getting an Outback but my wife hates the look of the outback and only mildly dislikes the Forester.

Jan. 3, 2017, 7:50 p.m.

Forester = CVT =/

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 4, 2017, 8:37 a.m.

The Outback is bigger than the Forester… at first I was thinking about getting an Outback but my wife hates the look of the outback and only mildly dislikes the Forester.

The Outback is clearly bigger and you feel it in the front seats. However, it has the same storage behind the rear seats and because of the Forester's design I felt the Forester had greater visibility. The Outback is smoother though.

I think the CVT is fine because the car is so light. Clearly it isn't as satisfying as a 6MT.

Jan. 4, 2017, 9:44 p.m.

Sorry…but, doesn't look boring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTtVa7WSCFc

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 5, 2017, 7:48 a.m.

Have an issue spending money on a "Luxury" SUV when you do this to it on a regular basis. Somehow after two weeks highway driving in the interior over xmas break no cracked windshield, that's a first.

Also wash that brine/ Magnesium Chloride off your car ASAP. It eats brake pads etc.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 5, 2017, 7:59 a.m.

yeah when living in cowtown I always thought it was weird when people drove around their luxury vehicles in the winter. they get destroyed there. keep a beater around

Jan. 5, 2017, 8:10 a.m.

Exteriors are exteriors. Bit more paint and more expensive windshield but that's about it if you run cheap winter wheels.

Running expensive 20" or 22" rims in the winter is something I don't understand.