Non Boring Transportation Appliance?

Dec. 21, 2016, 1:47 p.m.

There is too much sense being made on this thread, you should throw sense and sensibility to the wind and buy the upcoming Alfa Romeo Stelvio - 500+HP of "I do what I want"

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Dec. 28, 2016, 9:11 a.m.

I don't entirely enjoy the dealership experience and with that in mind I've got a relatively short list of test drives planned. I'm going a bit baller here and there, but I figure I may as well see how the other half lives. I'm also going small and big as I'm not 100% on which size to go with.

• Audi Q5 (SQ5 too)
  • Audi A4 All-Road
  • Cadillac XT5
  • GM Acadia
  • Ford Explorer
  • Ford Edge
  • Nissan Pathfinder
  • Subaru Forester (turbo)
  • Toyota Highlander
  • Toyota 4Runner
Dec. 28, 2016, 10:21 a.m.

I don't entirely enjoy the dealership experience and with that in mind I've got a relatively short list of test drives planned. I'm going a bit baller here and there, but I figure I may as well see how the other half lives. I'm also going small and big as I'm not 100% on which size to go with.

• Audi Q5 (SQ5 too)
  • Audi A4 All-Road
  • Cadillac XT5
  • GM Acadia
  • Ford Explorer
  • Ford Edge
  • Nissan Pathfinder
  • Toyota Highlander
  • Toyota 4Runner

Let us know how they go - I have a similar list that I am looking to test drive in the near future.

Dec. 28, 2016, 11:54 a.m.

According to the ads at the new Star Wars movie last night your life will be dull and boring unless you drive a new Lexus RX.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

Dec. 28, 2016, 12:36 p.m.

I'd probably look at the Nissan Armada instead of the Pathfinder.

Or the Infinity QX80

Ed

We need the Nissan Patrol Y61 models in North America.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 29, 2016, 2:21 p.m.

I'd probably look at the Nissan Armada instead of the Pathfinder.

Or the Infinity QX80

Ed

We need the Nissan Patrol Y61 models in North America.

You can always (if you have over 100K to spend) get the new Armada (2016+) and then buy the aftermarket parts to make it a Patrol Desert Edition truck.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Dec. 29, 2016, 2:31 p.m.

Patrol Desert Edition truck.

now, that brings back some good memories of offroading in France in the 90's. You can forget about your Armada though.

Dec. 29, 2016, 3:33 p.m.

There is too much sense being made on this thread, you should throw sense and sensibility to the wind and buy the upcoming Alfa Romeo Stelvio - 500+HP of "I do what I want"

That's the one to get. They also have a lightweight 280hp version, but if you're going to get an SUV you need at least 300hp.

Dec. 29, 2016, 3:58 p.m.

Similar, but less $$$$$$$………

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 29, 2016, 4:44 p.m.

Similar, but less $$$$$$$………

did they run that vehicle into a wall ???

the bumper looks fucked

Dec. 30, 2016, 12:54 a.m.

• Audi Q5 (SQ5 too)
  • Audi A4 All-Road
  • Cadillac XT5
  • GM Acadia
  • Ford Explorer
  • Ford Edge
  • Nissan Pathfinder
  • Toyota Highlander
  • Toyota 4Runner

I too am interested in how these test drives go for you.

I think I've made the mistake of looking at too many luxury vehicles though… hard to go back to the "mainstream" brands now. So far top of the list for me now is the BMW X5. (Relatively) great handling for a large vehicle, all the whizz-bangs and doodads you can shake a stick at, and plenty of room for what we'll need to be hauling around for the foreseeable future. There are also lots of low mileage used ones out there for several thousand less than the price of a new Toyota or Subaru. I know service and repair costs will be higher, but I've owned quite a few German cars and have had good luck (knock wood) and I'm pretty diligent with maintenance.

The question now is: diesel vs gas? Diesel is cheaper currently, and the economy and torque are pretty great with them, but they do seem to command a bit of a premium, even used, and there are other associated costs with diesels. Plus a lot of my driving is still city driving so not sure if it's ideal having a diesel in these conditions. I'm still leaning this way, but can any diesel owners out there chime in with city driving experiences, engine warm up times, cold starting (i.e. proper winter cold, not Lower Mainland cold), any unexpected issues, maintenance costs, things you hate about them, etc?

Thanks again!

Jan. 2, 2017, 5:35 p.m.
  • Audi Q5 (SQ5 too) Great driver feel and seating position. 3.0L nice smooth power. Very light on luxury. You'll feel every break in the pavement and it only has a single power point in the front. For an add on you can get a dongle in the glovebox for 2 USB. It's low level luxury was the deal breaker.
  • Audi A4 All-Road Really low to the ground and awkward driver position for a tall guy.
  • Cadillac XT5 Winner-elect. Smoothest and quietest. HUD and rear-mirror camera are fantastic. 4 USBs and wireless charging, along with places to put your phones. Very smooth power. Regular gas.
  • GM Acadia Drives a little too rugged and has a dated interior.
  • Ford Explorer The Platinum package is a hell of a vehicle. Proper luxury and as quiet as anything out there. Range Rover off road settings/design means it'll be fine in the rough stuff and the 3.5L turbo has mad power. Deal breaker is its just too big for my wife. If I were looking for an SUV this is the one I'd buy. Ford tunes its turbos to run on regular, but you'll get a bit more power (boost) and slightly better fuel economy (leaner) on premium.
  • Ford Edge Too small.
  • Nissan Pathfinder Too big
  • Subaru Forester (turbo) It's a nice car. The infotainment system is great and I love what it shows you. This car makes great use of its space for seating and visibility. It goes like stink and it is quiet inside (2017). Not just "quiet for a Subaru" but "very quiet for a $40k car". If it had more luxury we'd be up for it.
  • Toyota Highlander I don't fit in the passenger seat (no headroom)
  • Toyota 4Runner I don't fit the driver or passenger seat (headroom)
  • Lincoln MKX Lots of power. Cramped front seating. Noisier than you'd expect from a luxury brand. Nice interior design, apart from the lack of space.
Jan. 2, 2017, 6:38 p.m.

Thanks! So are you going to purchase the Cadillac?

How tall are you btw?

Jan. 2, 2017, 8:14 p.m.

I'm 6'4".

Jan. 2, 2017, 8:26 p.m.

strange you feel the explorer is too big, comparatively speaking it's not that much longer than the xt5

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer