Non Boring Transportation Appliance?

Dec. 8, 2016, 8:15 a.m.

How does fun to drive work in Vancouver anyway?

Dec. 8, 2016, 3:51 p.m.

I've seen a few of the new Ridgeline's in person and they are smaller than a Taco. Better for Van driving, worse for rear passenger space? On paper it reads like a Honda. Practical, not huge power, more car than truck, etc.

Actually, slightly more power than the new Tacoma, more bed space (than crew cab version of Tacoma), more payload, less towing, and substantially more interior room.

"When it comes to comfort, these two trucks aren't even close. The Ridgeline's crossoverlike construction grants it a plush ride free from the rigid, bouncy body motions offered by the Tacoma, which only get worse when its off-road trim levels are specified. The Honda's cabin is also exponentially more comfortable and spacious than the Tacoma Double Cab's, not only in the back seat, but up front, too. Not only does the Ridgeline offer a highly adjustable driver seat, but the Tacoma has an awkward, incredibly low driving position with no height adjustment"

from: http://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2017-honda-ridgeline-vs-2017-toyota-tacoma-which-is-better-257065

I've spent a lot of time in the original Ridgeline, and it's great for probably what 99% of people need a truck to do, even if they think they'll be towing giant boats up mountains and not just going to the mall. The new Ridgeline seems to be an improvement in every way, especially looks, compared to the original. I have a Taco for a work truck, and am not very impressed, besides reliability. I own a highlander, which has been great, way more fun to drive than the tacoma, but I think the next vehicle might be the new Ridgeline.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Dec. 8, 2016, 6:20 p.m.

hows the ridgeline off road? shit, im sure.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 8, 2016, 6:34 p.m.

hows the ridgeline off road? shit, im sure.

depends on your definition of off-road. Handles all the forestry shuttle roads just fine, but you're not going to go rock crawling or mud bogging. My highlander handles all the shuttle roads fine as well

there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3hWF-QqzNM

there's also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkE7piBh6us

but I don't think it would great for city driving.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Dec. 8, 2016, 6:46 p.m.

spending a lot of $$$$$$ is never boring, ergo … spend money

Dec. 8, 2016, 7:52 p.m.

How does fun to drive work in Vancouver anyway?

A. Don't live in Vancouver

B. Do a lot of highway driving

Dec. 8, 2016, 10:36 p.m.

We just brought a Nissan Pathfinder first new vehicle it had 0% finance tows 5000lb seats 7 made it from park royal to on the chair at blackcomb base 2 in 1 hour 40 in the rain without feeling scared seems ok on gas. The pretend 4x4-i seems pretty useful in more conditions the lock mode works no Bluetooth audio on the s or sv though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Dec. 9, 2016, 7:15 a.m.

We just brought a Nissan Pathfinder first new vehicle it had 0% finance tows 5000lb seats 7 made it from park royal to on the chair at blackcomb base 2 in 1 hour 40 in the rain without feeling scared seems ok on gas. The pretend 4x4-i seems pretty useful in more conditions the lock mode works no Bluetooth audio on the s or sv though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just took a look at the new ones. They sure have changed, had a 1994 SE. The thing was bombproof. Got 250K out of the original clutch. Was so tight mechanically and drove the shit out of it. Saw it on the road last year, still going.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Dec. 9, 2016, 7:26 a.m.

I feel like there's a cultural difference in trucks between Van and my neck of the woods. Out here a "regular" truck doesn't signify anything, apart from someone thought a truck was the right vehicle for them. In Van it seems like people feel a need to make an excuse to buy a full size truck or have to defend the choice because there's something wrong with buying one.

Vehicles like the Ridgeline seem to slide in between and let a Van buyer get into a truck without the guilty conscience. The new Ridgeline is a much better looking vehicle than the original one and with unibody design and Honda engineers you know it'll be a smooth ride. However, I know my next vehicle will be a full size with more options and features than I'll know what to do with.

A Dodge with the big V8 and air ride suspension is a damn fine driving truck.

Dec. 9, 2016, 7:31 a.m.

Lifted trucks like that are common in northern Alberta and northern BC.

What about the RR Evoque?

And on the Sunshine Coast

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 9, 2016, 8:02 a.m.

Just took a look at the new ones. They sure have changed, had a 1994 SE. The thing was bombproof. Got 250K out of the original clutch. Was so tight mechanically and drove the shit out of it. Saw it on the road last year, still going.

I wasn't so lucky with my 93 XE. By 2006, the had frame started rusting from the inside out (apparently, a not uncommon problem in that era), and got so bad I could push a screwdriver right through it in some spots.

Other than that, it was great…accessed so many climbing and skiing adventures on sketchy FSRs with it.

Dec. 9, 2016, 8:47 a.m.

I wasn't so lucky with my 93 XE. By 2006, the had frame started rusting from the inside out (apparently, a not uncommon problem in that era), and got so bad I could push a screwdriver right through it in some spots.

Other than that, it was great…accessed so many climbing and skiing adventures on sketchy FSRs with it.

I had some floor pan metal replaced by a welder friend at one point, it was my vehicle living in Whistler so probably was rotting. Was super reliable and was a great off road rig. Good times.
Heres one:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Nissan/Pathfinder/BOWEN+ISLAND/British+Columbia/19_9841832_/?showcpo=ShowCPO[HTML_REMOVED]orup=3_15_3

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Dec. 9, 2016, 9:20 a.m.

I had to get the drivers side front floor pan replaced as well. That was the beginning of the end.

With our first kid on the way, we ended up replacing it with a 7 seater 2007 Santa Fe, which has been great for family stuff, but not so much for non-paved excursions. I did manage to get it up the Chance Creek FSR to Tricouni once, when the road was in better shape than it is these days.

Once my girls are old enough for backcountry adventures, I think the eventual replacement for the Santa Fe will be a proper 4W4 pick up of some sort.

Dec. 9, 2016, 9:51 a.m.

Doesn't the taco with 6 spd standard ONLY come with the short Box?

Dec. 9, 2016, 10:19 a.m.

Toyota seems to change what Canada gets year to year. A few years ago I thing the 4-door only came in auto with the longer box???