NON-12 step (religion based) addiction programs in B.C.??

Sept. 13, 2010, 9:33 p.m.

I only ask this here because it's the only B.C. based forum I go on…

My bro is having a few problems with alcohol and drugs. The situation is pretty serious apperantly. I've been getting quite a few e-mails from my sister-in-law and other family members as of lately and we want to get him in a rehab program.

Problem is that every rehabilitation program out there is based on a 12-step, religious program (or requires you to aknowledge a "higher power"). He is not, or does not want to be, religious. Sure they say that these programs aren't based on religion, however in the two programs he has tried it seems they get you comfortable and then start pounding christian based religious shit at you.

It's wierd…He's a HIGHLY educated professional that does very well for himself (and always has)….strongest person I know….His heart stopped twice after a head on collision and had to have his face peeled off and reconstructed….they say the only reason his neck did not completly break in the accident is because "he didn't have one" (at the time he was bodybuilding and was 235-240lbs and 5'9")….yet he can't get a handle on this….

Anyway…if anybody knows of a program within B.C. that is not based on a 12 step program please throw me a line. His doctor and his councellor both say they know of none…I have yet to find one.

Sept. 13, 2010, 9:40 p.m.

the orchard on bowen island. it's pricey but i've had a couple friends with serious drug problems go through it and they're both doing awesome

www.orchardrecovery.com

Sept. 13, 2010, 9:43 p.m.

http://www.lastdoor.org/

not religion based (at least their website says that in their FAQ).

Anybody can get addicted to anything no matter how successful they are or how normal they seem. I have a family member who right now is struggling with gambling and they've been a business owner and contributing member of society for 40 years. They just hide it well.

alright!!!

Sept. 13, 2010, 9:52 p.m.

I know a few people who go to AA and none of them complain about religious views being pushed on them. Please don't take offence, but could it be that your brother is using the religious stance as a excuse not to go? Of the people I know that have been or do go to AA, none are religious and certainly wouldn't put up with it being pushed on them.

Edgewood in Nanaimo is apearently a great program(pretty pricey)

Sept. 13, 2010, 10:02 p.m.

Edgewood is very good, and yes quite pricey.

12 step and higher power doesn't mean religion and has nothing to do with Christianity. It is a higher power of your choice. If you want your personal god to be a kleenex box, so be it.

He won't stop until he wants to, and when he wants to it will be easy. Until then it's easier to come up with excuses.

Sept. 13, 2010, 10:04 p.m.

I know a few people who go to AA and none of them complain about religious views being pushed on them. Please don't take offence, but could it be that your brother is using the religious stance as a excuse not to go? Of the people I know that have been or do go to AA, none are religious and certainly wouldn't put up with it being pushed on them.

Edgewood in Nanaimo is apearently a great program(pretty pricey)

No offence taken.. I wondered the same thing. My sister-in-law was going to the programs with him. She confirmed that although they weren't pushing christianity they were pushing the "recognizing a greater power that can give strength" aspect…

He was OK with it when he was thinking it in a Buddhism frame of thinking (the best he could relate to in what they were teaching)…yet within weeks he and his wife were considered outsiders with their non-christian way of relating.

I'll look into Edgewood….thanks.

Sept. 13, 2010, 10:06 p.m.

the orchard on bowen island. it's pricey but i've had a couple friends with serious drug problems go through it and they're both doing awesome

www.orchardrecovery.com

I was looking into Orchard as I was told it was not 12-step based. I dug into their website a little and came across this??

Clients leave our treatment center with the tools needed to continue their recovery and are encouraged to continue fellowship through the help of 12-step groups like Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and Cocaine Anonymous.

Our Core Beliefs
-We believe that addiction is a treatable disease and the cycle can be broken.
-We believe in a holistic approach with the 12 steps as a foundation.
-We believe in treating clients as individuals, showing them dignity and respect, patience and understanding.
-We believe in honoring the trust that has been given to us by family members.
-We instill hope in our clients and their families.

I guess they could be just using this loosely as a base for their program….Either way I will give them a call…thanks.

Sept. 13, 2010, 10:13 p.m.

12 step and higher power doesn't mean religion and has nothing to do with Christianity. It is a higher power of your choice. If you want your personal god to be a kleenex box, so be it.

He won't stop until he wants to, and when he wants to it will be easy. Until then it's easier to come up with excuses.

That could depend on who is teaching it and their interpretation of it…no? As I said…the two programs he attended eventually rolled over to christianity and they were then treated as outsiders..his one sponsor even dropped him for not praying with him…

He WANTS to stop….he told me that personally…. the problem is he CAN'T stop….

Sept. 13, 2010, 10:17 p.m.

That could depend on who is teaching it and their interpretation of it…no? As I said…the two programs he attended eventually rolled over to christianity and they were then treated as outsiders..his sponsor even dropped him for not praying with him…

He WANTS to stop….he told me that personally…. the problem is he CAN'T stop….

talk is cheap.

I told people alot of things for a lot of years. It wasn't until I told myself that I wanted to quit that I was actually able to do it.

the thing with AA is you have to find the right group, check out different meetings until you find one that you're comfortable with.

Sept. 13, 2010, 10:20 p.m.

Addiction is not a disease. Institutions and organizations that force this point of view are reluctant to allow scientific scrutiny into their treatment methods (See A.A. - they have NEVER allowed any empirical examination of their methods, by best guess the recidivism rate of all who attend A.A. meetings is in the 70% range).

A program like this, that is based on empirical evidence rather than a tried and failed methodology would probably be a better bet: http://www.sunshinecoasthealthcentre.ca/drug-rehab-program.html

While they do have a 12 step program, it is only one part of the process. They recognize that addiction is not a disease, rather a symptom of underlying social, economic, and psychological issues and pressures, and they work to resolve those instead of putting a band-aid on the symptom.

While being clean and sober is a necessary first step, Sunshine Coast Health Center understands that abstinence from drugs and alcohol is only the beginning of life after treatment. That is why we encourage clients to make lifestyle changes during their stay in the Primary Program.

Unfortunately, sharing intimate thoughts and living together for an extended period can also be the catalyst for romance in a co-ed environment. Men and women in early recovery are particularly vulnerable to jumping into unhealthy relationships. This can have a devastating impact on marriages and have a [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;triangulating[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; effect in the peer group where jealousy and rivalries can start. Our drug rehab program is intentionally male-only so that clients can experience the power of the peer group in a safe environment.

Sept. 13, 2010, 10:24 p.m.

talk is cheap.

I told people alot of things for a lot of years. It wasn't until I told myself that I wanted to quit that I was actually able to do it.

the thing with AA is you have to find the right group, check out different meetings until you find one that you're comfortable with.

You are right…

….and that is the purpose of this thread.

Sept. 13, 2010, 10:26 p.m.

Addiction is not a disease. Institutions and organizations that force this point of view are reluctant to allow scientific scrutiny into their treatment methods (See A.A. - they have NEVER allowed any empirical examination of their methods, by best guess the recidivism rate of all who attend A.A. meetings is in the 70% range).

A program like this, that is based on empirical evidence rather than a tried and failed methodology would probably be a better bet: http://www.sunshinecoasthealthcentre.ca/drug-rehab-program.html

While they do have a 12 step program, it is only one part of the process. They recognize that addiction is not a disease, rather a symptom of underlying social, economic, and psychological issues and pressures, and they work to resolve those instead of putting a band-aid on the symptom.

great info…Thanks for taking the time.

Sept. 13, 2010, 10:42 p.m.

No problem, and good luck. Stay in contact with the team at whatever rehab center you choose, they probably won't let you stay in contact with him - but it will be some comfort to you and your family, which is just as important as his recovery. You'll all get through it together!

Sept. 13, 2010, 10:51 p.m.

I have heard good things about edgewood too. And the second point is true. But that usually requires one to hit bottom, trying to convince an addict he has a serious problem is like banging your head against a wall. Usually its only consequences like loosing everything including family members.

But in the end he has to want to change for himself and not to please the "naggers"

Stay away from A Home Away From Home in West bank, King Haven…there is many more to avoid. The problem with government sponsored ones is the amount of people there just to get off the street and have 3 hots and a cot(3 meals and a bed) its makes for an unpleasant environment.

But in the end that might be ones last resort and a product of consequences.

AA meeting at the very least help one to be understood, cause no one understands what its like but another addict(alcoholic whatever) And most fellow addicts really want to help out of empathy.

Non 12 step programs are called Secular and a popular Secular group support is Life Ring

here is a search secular rehabs BC http://www.google.com/search?q=secular+rehab+British+columbia[HTML_REMOVED]rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-SearchBox[HTML_REMOVED]ie=UTF-8[HTML_REMOVED]oe=UTF-8[HTML_REMOVED]sourceid=ie7[HTML_REMOVED]rlz=1I7SKPB_en

great board for all affected by addiction or an addict. Tons of good info http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/

Sept. 14, 2010, 12:39 a.m.

You are right…

….and that is the purpose of this thread.

Dave is right.

Having someone to call is a big help. Good luck, and good on you got caring:

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells