No iPhone 5 - but 4S is here

Oct. 11, 2011, 2:17 p.m.

Nexus Prime was supposed to be announced today, but Google and Samsung postponed. Rumours that it is in respect for Jobs' funeral and/or there may be some patent issues to get sorted out.

those specs mean nothing. compare these benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/iphone-4s-preliminary-benchmarks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2

800mhz iphone 4s beats the 1,2ghz galaxy II by a large margin…

We're not talking about the GS 2…..

Oct. 11, 2011, 3:48 p.m.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/iphone-4s-preliminary-benchmarks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2

Impressive, yet flawed. Gingerbread only uses one core for browsing, thus why some unexpected results are found (nexus one outperforming nexus s) apparently icecreamsandwich will use both cores as does honeycomb. It also ignores multi tasking, something I'm usually doing on my phone, that the underclocked apple chip will likely struggle with. Wait to see what happens later this month.

Oct. 11, 2011, 4:50 p.m.

http://www.bestsmartphone.com/2011/10/11/anandtech-analysis-fail/

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 11, 2011, 8:14 p.m.

http://www.bestsmartphone.com/2011/10/11/anandtech-analysis-fail/

Looks like Anandtech updated the original article to reflect their mistake. Looks a little different now.

Oct. 12, 2011, 1:11 a.m.

Good, as their numbers were way off.

It will be interested to see if iOS 5 improves speeds as indicated, and if so, if the improvements are not just for the couple areas that were benchmarked. It's been a trick of past hardware vendors (S3 was the biggest culprit I can remember) to optimize code so that they receive better benchmark numbers.

And I hope battery life will be at least as good, if not better, with iOS5. For the 4s, specs I've read are listing the standby time at 200 hours as opposed to the 3Gs and 4 times of 300 hours. I hope the 4s battery life is as good or better as the current iPhone 4.

Here'a a pretty good indication of the performance difference in web page loading in the Galaxy S2 and iPhone 4. The 4s will be a lot faster, for sure, but this at least shows the smartphone benchmarks aren't very useful (like Quadrant for Android).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dUk2QxMPGI

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 12, 2011, 12:10 p.m.

We're not talking about the GS 2…..

if a 1,2ghz phone can't beat the 800mhz iphone 5, a 1,8ghz phone should be on par, get it now?

Oct. 12, 2011, 12:11 p.m.

Impressive, yet flawed. Gingerbread only uses one core for browsing, thus why some unexpected results are found (nexus one outperforming nexus s) apparently icecreamsandwich will use both cores as does honeycomb. It also ignores multi tasking, something I'm usually doing on my phone, that the underclocked apple chip will likely struggle with. Wait to see what happens later this month.

i was more talking the opengl test, browsing is pretty fast on the old iphone 4 already…

Oct. 12, 2011, 12:24 p.m.

i was more talking the opengl test, browsing is pretty fast on the old iphone 4 already…

Browsing is slow on the iPhone 4; painfully slow compared to a PC. This is one area where improvements on smartphones need to be done. The Galaxay S2 is much faster at browsing, as I'm sure the 4s will be.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Oct. 12, 2011, 1:22 p.m.

if a 1,2ghz phone can't beat the 800mhz iphone 5, a 1,8ghz phone should be on par, get it now?

Ya, just so you know, I get it. I really do.

Oct. 12, 2011, 2:02 p.m.

Updated to iOS 5 and restoring media. It's nice to be able to use the phone while it's syncing.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Oct. 12, 2011, 2:08 p.m.

I can't get my ipad2 to update, it keeps giving me an error 3200.

gah! I thought apple products were descended from heaven and impervious to failure?!?!?!?

Oct. 12, 2011, 2:16 p.m.

gah! I thought apple products were descended from heaven and impervious to failure?!?!?!?

I got the same thing. I shut down and restarted and it seems to be working now.

Oct. 12, 2011, 2:31 p.m.

can you jailbreak the new OS yet?

Oct. 12, 2011, 2:42 p.m.

The Apple servers are overloaded, which is why you get the error 3200.

I just made a host entry and pointed the IP address for Apple's servers at the Cydia server.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Oct. 12, 2011, 11:08 p.m.

Change to camera access makes it much better.

Copied Android notification mechanism is useful.

iCloud for backing up settings and some basic personal data is useful.

Custom vibrations and adaptive touch can be useful.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells