No iPhone 5 - but 4S is here

Oct. 11, 2011, 9:28 a.m.

I currently use verizon as my provider, and I'm due for an upgrade. I really like the Samsung S2 Galaxy, but verizon is not going to be picking up that phone :( Looks like I may have to go the iphone 4s route…

Maybe wait and see what the word is on the samsung/google galaxy nexus prime phone. Is rumoured to be a verizon exclusive and maybe even have the new android icecream sandwich.

Oct. 11, 2011, 9:34 a.m.

Maybe wait and see what the word is on the samsung/google galaxy nexus prime phone. Is rumoured to be a verizon exclusive and maybe even have the new android icecream sandwich.

Really? Thanks for the heads up, I'll be looking into this!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

Oct. 11, 2011, 9:43 a.m.

90% sure this is going to be the phone that pries me away from the Nexus One. If the rumoured specs are true it's going to be one hell of a device.

Oct. 11, 2011, 9:48 a.m.

90% sure this is going to be the phone that pries me away from the Nexus One. If the rumoured specs are true it's going to be one hell of a device.

I've done some digging on it, and ya, it sure looks like it will be a great device! Definitely smokes the 4s on some specs. I'll for sure be waiting for this to come out before I make my mind up, but from what I've seen so far, I'm leaning towards this Samsung/Nexus device.

— Sigmund Freud

Oct. 11, 2011, 9:56 a.m.

Wait for iTunes Match or use rdio. Both would be cheaper options than upgrading from a 4.

It seems like both of these would require a connection no? I particularly appreciate having all my music with me where I have no dependable connection - or when I'm unable to connect because of roaming charges.

Oct. 11, 2011, 10:14 a.m.

It seems like both of these would require a connection no? I particularly appreciate having all my music with me where I have no dependable connection - or when I'm unable to connect because of roaming charges.

Yea all of these cloud based music services also have the potential to destroy any data cap and leave you with a hefty bill.

Its not like todays devices can't fit enough music as is.

Oct. 11, 2011, 11:02 a.m.

Yea all of these cloud based music services also have the potential to destroy any data cap and leave you with a hefty bill.

Its not like todays devices can't fit enough music as is.

The Grooveshark client lets you offline tracks to your SD and will play a mixed playlist with some tracks streamed and any tracks you've pointedly offlined not running against your data. Also will go into full offline mode. Saves tons of data. Wish more services would emulate this concept.

Unfortunately it's Grooveshark and really buggy too at times.

Oct. 11, 2011, 11:53 a.m.

I've done some digging on it, and ya, it sure looks like it will be a great device! Definitely smokes the 4s on some specs. I'll for sure be waiting for this to come out before I make my mind up, but from what I've seen so far, I'm leaning towards this Samsung/Nexus device.

Nexus Prime was supposed to be announced today, but Google and Samsung postponed. Rumours that it is in respect for Jobs' funeral and/or there may be some patent issues to get sorted out.

Oct. 11, 2011, 12:28 p.m.

Yes. For low bandwidth streaming it'll consume 15 to 20 megabytes per hour.

Maybe the next iPhone will have an FM radio in it seeing that Apple put FM into their smaller devices.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 11, 2011, 12:31 p.m.

Nexus Prime was supposed to be announced today, but Google and Samsung postponed. Rumours that it is in respect for Jobs' funeral and/or there may be some patent issues to get sorted out.

Ya isn't a rumour any more. They officially stated it was out of respect for Jobs' passing. I think his funeral may have been today?

Oct. 11, 2011, 1:06 p.m.

There's also a rumor its partly due to ongoing patent battles.

Oct. 11, 2011, 1:17 p.m.

There's also a rumor its partly due to ongoing patent battles.

Definitely could be with all the patent slinging going on. We'll find out if they run the release just after.

Oct. 11, 2011, 1:20 p.m.

I could see that. Seems that Samsung and Apple have been having some pretty intense patent battles lately.

— Sigmund Freud

Oct. 11, 2011, 1:27 p.m.

Ya isn't a rumour any more. They officially stated it was out of respect for Jobs' passing. I think his funeral may have been today?

His funeral was last Friday. It was reported yesterday that he died of respiratory failure due to a pancreatic tumour.

There's already "leaked"' slides of the Galaxy S3, due out early next year. Big HD display, 1.8GHz dual core, and 12MP camera.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 11, 2011, 1:34 p.m.

those specs mean nothing. compare these benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/iphone-4s-preliminary-benchmarks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2

800mhz iphone 4s beats the 1,2ghz galaxy II by a large margin…