No iPhone 5 - but 4S is here

Oct. 4, 2011, 2:21 p.m.

I like the 64gb option and the new phone. Siri sounds interesting as well. Otherwise (for me) not so much to write home about.

1080 video and a motion stabilizer sound okay too.

iPhone 4S

Oct. 4, 2011, 2:24 p.m.

it's nice that at least for now all existing 4 cases will work.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Oct. 4, 2011, 2:25 p.m.

siri sounds awesome - just what phones have been needing.

next step is a better proximity reader and sensors on the phone. if i hold my phone sideways with my arms straight out, with a finger on each upper corner, the camera app should be going.

if i'm moving a 50 miles an hour, it should be REALLY easy to open a map/gps app.

if i turn on my phone after being off for 5 hours and suddenly i'm in new york, my yelp or lonely planet app should open.

if the room is steamy, xvideos should pre load

that kind of shit

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Oct. 4, 2011, 2:29 p.m.

New chip. New camera. Novelty voice thing that doesn't actually require a hardware refresh.

Big yawn of an announcement.

Oct. 4, 2011, 2:30 p.m.

Works for me, as I need to replace my ageing 3G. They could have released an iPhone 4 with a gold star sticker and called it the iPhone 7G and I would've bought it.

Oct. 4, 2011, 2:35 p.m.

I'm curious about the iMessage. On my present plan, texting is free to and from the US. My current provider was saying if I upgrade to the iPhone 4, the plan would no longer cover texting to and from the US. So would this iMessage solve the issue? I know a few people with the iPhone 4 and the texting(US) adds up pretty quickly cost wise.

Edit. yes I would be texting iPhone to iPhone

Oct. 4, 2011, 2:35 p.m.

Novelty voice thing that doesn't actually require a hardware refresh.

You sure about that?

iforonewelcome.com

Oct. 4, 2011, 2:36 p.m.

You sure about that?

My understanding is that it's a cloud based service. But to be fair, I haven't looked all the deeply into it.

edit: not sure why they'd need new hardware if they've had the app out since early 2010. http://www.cultofmac.com/29188/siri-app-turns-your-gps-enabled-iphone-into-a-virtual-concierge/

Oct. 4, 2011, 3:05 p.m.

My understanding is that it's a cloud based service. But to be fair, I haven't looked all the deeply into it.

edit: not sure why they'd need new hardware if they've had the app out since early 2010. http://www.cultofmac.com/29188/siri-app-turns-your-gps-enabled-iphone-into-a-virtual-concierge/

I think it's only the dictation that's part of the cloud service (though I'm not sure why, perhaps it's so older iPhones have access). The Siri app has been upgraded quite a bit since the 1.0 version and the Apple purchase.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!
Anyone else noticed that all mention of Siri is wiped from the apple.ca site?!?!?!

iforonewelcome.com

Oct. 4, 2011, 3:06 p.m.

edit: http://www.smallbizlabs.com/2010/02/siri-a-cloud-based-virtual-assistant-for-the-iphone.html.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/224700180 Looks like prior to the acquisition, the siri app worked on 3GS and ipod touch….

Hmmm. Rise of the machines sounds scary.

It looks good enough for me to buy one, but I am a little skeptical that I will be able to make appointment while jogging. Good thing I don't jog.

Oct. 4, 2011, 3:09 p.m.

Perhaps you're right about it being a cloud app. Data regs might be a reason it's not being launched in Canada.

iforonewelcome.com

Oct. 4, 2011, 3:13 p.m.

Siri looks like such a gimmick. The only people who would use such a feature will be the businessy twats on the train to London - "yaa, siri could you call up my schedule for tomorrow please?" :lol:

Oct. 4, 2011, 3:13 p.m.

lol Apple stock drops on their announcement

The form factor remaining the same is a disappointment - they should have increased the screen size.

Every other improvement is most welcomed.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 4, 2011, 3:23 p.m.

lol Apple stock drops on their announcement

The form factor remaining the same is a disappointment - they should have increased the screen size.

Every other improvement is most welcomed.

Apple's stock always drops when they announce stuff because people have ridiculous expectations of them.

Oct. 4, 2011, 3:25 p.m.

sAFETY just told me that siri wont work in canada

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.