NHL trade talk - canucks, etc... [warning: hockey fans only]

March 3, 2006, 11:18 a.m.

okay im bored, lets here some trade talk. trade deadline is thursday, march 9 at noon so there's gonna be moves. who do you see or would like to see moved?

for canucks, i see a deal for derek morris from coyotes or brendan witt from capitals to be the best for their needs. however, knowing nonis and his weak wrist, he'll probably go for useless weinrich.

i think bert, park, maybe cooke could be traded. there's talk of bert to montreal for souray but i'm not buying it, even though bert is the kind of player the habs want. souray is just as inconsistent as bert right now.

word on the street is that mcabe is available, but who knows with they leafs. personnally, i think they should trade pat quinn to pittsburg for a bag of pucks. i doubt nonis would go for mcabe. nonis will be looking for a more defensive presence, since baumgartner has picked it up off the backend and assuming ohlund will be back fairly soon.

i think nonis will try to get a goalie, but i'm not sure who he would want - maybe cujo from coyotes, but i doubt it. if only they could pull up flaherty from the moose past waivers…

i see flames and oilers making deals too. oil will definitely be after a #1 goalie. and sutter will make any shrewd deal he can pull to better any position on his team.

March 3, 2006, 11:23 a.m.

I think Bert needs to stay. I really want to see if his performace excels in the in the playoff. Sadly fans can't deal with a star player having an average year so they call for his head.

Park I would not miss at all, he really has not fit in with our core group.

There is also Morrison rumours going around, that they are shopping him.

March 3, 2006, 11:29 a.m.

yes morrison is on the block too for sure. he could be part of a package to phoenix for morris. i know gretzky likes morrison and i believe he is looking for a centerman.

March 3, 2006, 11:29 a.m.

I really want to see if his performace excels in the in the playoff.

It didn't excel in the Olympics, why would it change for the playoffs? The guy is done here. Let him go.

ESC 4 Life.

I create feelings in people that they themselves don't understand.

"Perhaps it was the Noid who should have avoided me." - Mayor West

March 3, 2006, 11:34 a.m.

It didn't excel in the Olympics, why would it change for the playoffs? The guy is done here. Let him go.

I actually think he played pretty good in the olympics. Considering his role and the play of his team mates it wasn't much to work with.

With Naslund looking like he might be back, that might be enought to get him going. I thought he played well last night agaist the preds.

I just hope Nonis makes a deal for some D man talent. It will be awesome when our team is healthy, injuries have plauged this team way to much.

March 3, 2006, 11:47 a.m.

Bert is a head case. Let him roll it somewhere else.

March 3, 2006, 11:47 a.m.

I'm the biggest Bert fan around but he needs to go, for the team and himself. He's not getting it done, he seems uninspired for the most part, time for a change. Naslund coming back shouldn't matter.When Naslund was down, it's Berts role to step up. That didn't happen.

March 3, 2006, 11:52 a.m.

TSN.ca

Canucks GM Dave Nonis quickly shot down, in the Edmonton Journal, a Vancouver radio report that had the Canucks sending C Ryan Kesler to Phoenix for C Mike Ricci along with defencemen Sean O'Donnell and Denis Gauthier. Nonis also denied, in the Vancouver Sun, reports that the Canucks were scouting Canadiens D Sheldon Souray.

Who knows though, becasue GM's usualy don't say what they are trying to do to the media.

March 3, 2006, 12:04 p.m.

CuJo will be back with the Oil, Auld will stay as Vancouver's #1, and Bert will be gone (though it'd be retarded to Souray for him, much better players out there). Anyone who says Bert didn't play well in the olympics is letting their bias get in the way of their judgement. He had more chances than almost anyone, didn't spend much time in the box especially seeing as he was a role-player on that team and out of the two times he was in it in the last game, one was conscequential (bert vs a tiny Russian, who't going to fall?), and the other was Quinn beaking off.

I'm a big bert supporter, but I'm starting to think it's time for him to go. The only problem is getting market value on his likely potential, not his current performance.

As for McCabe, can you imagine the liability of having Jovo and McCabe on the same pairing? They wouldn't be able to get through a full shift without time in the bin.

iforonewelcome.com

March 3, 2006, 12:08 p.m.

I really don't like McCabe's play. Sure he is an offensive plus, but we have Jovo for that when he is healthy. What we really need right now is a solid D man that does his job.

March 3, 2006, 12:13 p.m.

canucks need to get rid of one of there big name players that are sucking this season, IE. burt, or ohlund. Jovo's injured and is useless anyay, might as well get rid of him asap. We need to keep cooke and park, both are solid players with above all effort all the time.

Clunking is for retards.

March 3, 2006, 12:16 p.m.

You could argue that Bert is one ot the top 5 players in the league.

He isn't having his best year, but I don't think we should trade him. There are other options.

The media seems to be tainting hockey fans. Comments like he is a "head case" just illustrate how much influence the media hype about the Moore incident is infecting this sport.

The biggest Bertuzzi problem right now is him NOT playing like a head case. He is looking subdued and conservative, which is under his skill set.

I vote to give him some time. He missed a LOT of hockey, and has a lot on his plate. Its going to take time to get back to his best. All of these guys have highs and lows in regards to performance. Look at Iginla..he was a superstar before the lock out, and now he is just doing "well" compared to before….just like Bert. But, because there was no "incident" for the media to run with, he isn't under the same degree of scrutiny.

The issue with the Canucks being inconsistent, IMO, doesn't look like it can be pinned on 1, 2 or 3 guys. It seems to be a team issue as a whole, they are on one night, and off the next. Maybe shaking it up will help, but I'm not so sure.

I do think we need a superstar goaltender. Auld is doing well, but games like last night, where we outshoot the opponents twice over, and lose like that just prove it. If we had a rock solid tender, this would be a different team. Auld will get there in time..but we need to look at now.

March 3, 2006, 12:22 p.m.

Well said Corey.

Todd Bertuzzi

GP 61 G 20 A 34 PTS 54

Jarome Iginla

GP 59 G 27 A 19 PTS 46

March 3, 2006, 12:33 p.m.

Nonis is on mojo right now

March 3, 2006, 12:41 p.m.

(Paraphrased) Nonis

"McCarthy has played well over the last 2 games"

"The biggest difference is our Power-Play, missing our defence. Nolan back will help… but it's evident"

"Ohlund is getting better, is skating today, will be back for Sunday (possibly) or Thursday"

"Sami Salo has severly pulled mucsles. Time frame can be anywhere from 1-2 weeks, to 4-5 weeks."

"Eddy will be back on the ice soon… could be 2-3 weeks, earliest"

"Naslund is feeling alot better"

"bulk of deals wont come untill deadline"

"I HOPE we will be able to pull off a deal or two"

"Right now it's quite"

"There isn't alot of deals lined up"

"You might see 1 or 2 before monday, most deals wont happen untill next thursday"

"There isn't many sellers"

"Availability is the problem. I think there will be more guys on the market on Monday or Tuesday."

"A few teams haven't made a decision on being a 'seller' yet"

"The discussions we have had have been laughable… teams are asking for ridiculous names for guys you will have for a month or two."

"Other teams have been asking for ridiculous names off our roster…"

"It's not that we don't want to improve, but we think people would be pissed if we did the deals other teams are offering"

"Asking prices have been all over the map (meaning some teams have asked for Bertuzzi in some way or another)"

"Todd has been an easy target. He's had his ups and downs, and he's been better than most give him credit for"

"There's a possibility of Flaherty. There's still a very good chance he'd get picked up on waivers."

"I've been in contact with every team… lol"

"We have a good goalie… i'd like to improve our depth… but I don't think it is pressing"

"Our priority is adding depth to our defence and goaltending. We expect all our d-back, but we would like to add a guy or two to our defence, and a guy to help in goal"

"You can't call up players that have to clear waivers after March 9th"